Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Probably a dumb question (dead rats)  (Read 2950 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Probably a dumb question (dead rats)
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »
Should these be used over a normal windsreen or can they go directly on the mics? I'm thinking of either buying some from the ts member that makes them in the retail forum or testing out my DIY skills (possibly tie dye them  :P ?)

I would use them over my telefunkens, nak 100/300 CP-1/2/3/4 capsules, and various zoom stuff for back up.

I saw the DIY blimp thread with the egg canvas from that it looks like i could use my normal screens too inside the egg thing.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Probably a dumb question (dead rats)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:40:30 AM »
Tbrown4's deadrats goes over your windscreens. When ordering, let him know which windscreens you have and he him make them to the dimensions of the windscreen.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:17:10 AM »
Over the windscreens.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
Over the windscreens my tests show that they Are almost 50% more effective if there are internal windscreens. I discovered that if you just put dead rats on a mic with out some distance from the capsuke dead rats were not that effective but if you increased the distance by using a frame or simply by using a windscreen the wind protection was obviously much better. 
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Cool thanks, had no idea.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
I've been using big ass shures  and dead rats and the bigass shures are much better at blocking wind noise 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
I've been using big ass shures  and dead rats and the bigass shures are much better at blocking wind noise 8)

not sure I agree with that, but there you go...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
I think ANY BIG ASS windscreen between a capsule and dead rat/muppet will help.  :)

Even a small windscreen (like the Shure locking ones) on my 853's get a big round of help from my dead rats.  I'd be DEAD without them sometimes.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Rats need airspace underneath them to work optimally and a foam or basket screen provides a uniform airspace between the fur and the capsule.  It's best to think of them as secondary line of defense when more protection is required beyond what your foam or basket screen would provide alone.  However, using them by themselves without a screen underneath underneath is better than nothing if that's all you have. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 04:18:03 AM »
Wind protection is simply down to the volume of still air around the microphone - this is why basket windshields are so good.

The larger the volume the better the protection.

The furry Windjammers are just there to take the energy out of the wind in windy conditions before the wind reaches the basket.

If you use a foam windshield on a mic. *inside* a basket windshield, you are actually making the wind protection *worse* as you are reducing the volume of air in the basket.

A furry Windjammer on its own does very little in wind protection - it needs the basket to give teh space.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com