Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)  (Read 12882 times)

Offline tchoub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)
« on: June 07, 2004, 09:34:46 AM »
Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Soundman OKM IIr stealth mics (http://www.soundman.de/) in good condition.
I'm just curious if anyone of you has ever used those mics.
They are based on omni capsules and are binaural mics.

I'm curently running oktava mk012 but I need some more discrete mics for stealth job... (and I can't afford DPA 406x  :'( :'(  )

The setup would be : OKM IIr > D8

I also have an AD20 that I use with my oktavas and I wonder if it can used with the OKM mics... (I made a search on google but didn't find anyone running OKM IIr with an AD20...)

Any opinions ?
Thanks !

PS : I have a pair of Core Sound Binaural mics that I hate. I've never been able to make a decent recording with those mics ... >:(

« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:36:43 AM by tchoub »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re:Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Soundman OKM IIr stealth mics (http://www.soundman.de/) in good condition.
I'm just curious if anyone of you has ever used those mics.
They are based on omni capsules and are binaural mics.

I'm curently running oktava mk012 but I need some more discrete mics for stealth job... (and I can't afford DPA 406x  :'( :'(  )

The setup would be : OKM IIr > D8

I also have an AD20 that I use with my oktavas and I wonder if it can used with the OKM mics... (I made a search on google but didn't find anyone running OKM IIr with an AD20...)

Any opinions ?
Thanks !

PS : I have a pair of Core Sound Binaural mics that I hate. I've never been able to make a decent recording with those mics ... >:(

Can you try before you buy? I've handled a pair of these mics, and they are tiny, light and probably very stealthable.

I'm not very keen on CSB recordings I've heard either, but I am biased as I love my Sound Professional CMC2s.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:02:46 AM »
they will work, just make sure you get the battery box with the mics so can provide power.

Offline SPLASTiK

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 12:28:29 AM »
Actually I was wondering about these mic's myself.  A local taper's list I was looking at today uses them and I was going to e-mail him about them.  He used to use Sonic Studios mic's but upgraded to these, I have Sonic Studios (got them today) and was wondering how they compare.

The guy who has them also posts on here, send a PM to:
firmdragon

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 12:33:49 AM »
I'm not sure I'd consider the OKMs and upgrade over the Sonic Studios, but maybe it's just my ears.

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 07:04:59 AM »
ok thanks for your answers.
I'm considering buying a pair because they are cheap. I would certainly have prefered a cheap Sonic Studios pair  ;)

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 07:34:55 AM »
ok thanks for your answers.
I'm considering buying a pair because they are cheap. I would certainly have prefered a cheap Sonic Studios pair  ;)

well, if you haven't been able to make a decent recording with the CS Omnis, I would suggest trying to stab your steak another way.

Perhaps omnidirection microphones are not the best choice in your circumstance(s).

silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 07:38:00 AM »
I've used my OKM IIr mics a few times. In my ears (incredible 3D sound), taped on walls, and under a hat (just under two vent holes). I've only ran into one serious problem recently recording some loud rock with high SPLs. I was standing close to the stage recording LINE-IN into NJ3 (and we know how hard it is to read that meter!) with the little battery box that comes with it. I didn't choose the bass roll off option on the 6v battery box; I should have. Result was distortion. If I had to do it over I would use the bass roll off option and double check the NJ3 meter. I remember the meter was pushing max but it didn't look like it would clip. Better to err on the side of safety next time and keep my levels a bit lower from now on.

Overall, good mics. I've done some recording in my bedroom with my stereo cranked up and I'm very happy with the results, especially when they are in my ears. I've done some stealth taping and they look like ear plugs. I've even had security talk with me as I'm wearing them.

I usually stealth with SP cmc-8's on my ears but feel a bit uneasy at times. I tried to tape Skynard with these OKM mics under my shirt (front row center ticket) but got busted last Thursday. My bad. Curious to try again the next time I'm real close to security.

ps. That little battery box is great btw. It's very small with a bass roll swith and -20db pad. Even though it's only a 6v battery box, I've used with my SP cmc-8 mics (usually use 9 v box) with good results.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 07:42:13 AM by silverbullet »

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 05:26:58 PM »
heh. no they weren't upgrades.  they were more of a second pair of mics.  i needed the sonics for use with a video camera.  yeah i'm very satisfied w/ the okms.  you should use the 20db always.  yeah i don't consider okms an upgrade over sonics either.  but i do consider them better than the csbs.  but that's just me.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 09:27:31 PM »
heh. no they weren't upgrades.  they were more of a second pair of mics.  i needed the sonics for use with a video camera.  yeah i'm very satisfied w/ the okms.  you should use the 20db always.  yeah i don't consider okms an upgrade over sonics either.  but i do consider them better than the csbs.  but that's just me.

death to the "binaural" mic! ;)

thanx for the response :)

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 08:22:22 AM »
I used a pair of that only once, with good result. after that i bought the OKM Rock Studio's which are better (taped around 30 times). Only difference between those two is the amount of hiss. When recording with high levels and mic-in, the R-version can be hissy. I suggest you only buy them if you want to use the to stealth record loud(!) rock shows. Then you can make excellent recordings. For softer music i suggest Rock Studio's or different brands. Make sure the A3 adapter is there too, use it, but leave both setting off.

OKM's are very fragile, you need to be aware of that. Soundman.de is very nice. They fixed one broken mic for free!! Ask for Rolf, he's nice!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:59:37 AM »
thanks for the comments !

I'm not sure if the difference between "Rock" and "Rock studio" versions are significant for me :
 [1] I mainly record "loud" concerts...
 [2] I intend to run those mics with an AD20 so the difference in hiss between the two versions should be significantly decreased by the use of a preamp (  ??? )

I wrote to Soundman and got an interesting answer :
 Rolf (yes, he is nice guy  :) ) told me that the capsules can be powered up to 10V. A company called "DACS audio" sells a product (the "PPA") that allow to use a 48V phantom power supply. It basically converts the 48V Phantom Power into 7.5V for use with the mics. I was just wondering what kind of components are needed to do something like that.

thanks again  :)

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »
I bet you could use the Samson PM4s for something like that.  I'm not sure what level the Samson modules bring the phantom power down to, but I bet it's around 9V

Offline Alpha Murdock

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Feeble Christ
    • MURDOCKS
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 03:28:20 PM »
im almost sold on getting a pair of these.  the fact that they are super stealthy and fit in your ear is EXTREMELY appealing for stealth situations :)

http://www.outwardsound.com/

^ seems like a good US distributor.
Franklin Morris
LIST | RAWK
franklin@the-murdocks.com

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »
yeah make sure you get the A3 module and make sure the mic ver. is the rock version. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com