Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Request help with recording in small, noisy and echoing room.  (Read 2502 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Request help with recording in small, noisy and echoing room.
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:07:52 PM »
I've recorded many times in this room:

It is mabye 15' wide and about 30-40' long.  I try to record near the front because there is a noisy bar at the back.  The room has a lot of echo, from the sides maybe, and also echo off the back wall, I think from the stage monitors.  The PA is pretty weak.

Anyway I was putting my mics (AKG CK93 hypers, XY) in that hanging light in front of the stage.  The light is about 5' back from the stage/speakers.  Well, the venue moved the light so I can't use it anymore...

So what would you do?  I have been running my mics DFC about where the red haired girl is, XY again, but I can't raise them too high because it blocks the view.  How about split cards or hypers, ie., one on each side of the room?  I'm tempted to hang somthing from the ceiling, but I'm not sure I can get away with that.  Oh yeah, I tried onstage.  I get OK monitor sound, but it sounds better in the room.  I think I'm hearing echo, maybe from the main PA.

Suggestions welcome.  Small room tapers unite!
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Request help with recording in small, noisy and echoing room.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 11:27:55 PM »
if it were me, I'd move a little to the left of where the pic is taken from (if possible), and run DIN (which I did everytime).  If its really noisy and echoing, I'd use the hypers, but I'd dry cards first.  I prefer the least directional mics I can get away with.

I'm not an expert on XY, so I could be completely mistaken, but I've always thought that XY would eliminate boominess/high levels of bass - I don't know if XY would necessarily get rid of other kinds of noise that isn't low-end boominess. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 11:34:01 PM by wobbly »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
I tape in similiar local bar and last friday I ran XY@110 and think that really helped w/ the bouncy sound but I still cant get rid of the talkers unless I bring enough duct tape for everyones mouth. I ran FOB but 10' right of DFC about 20' back. Also my local bar moved the bar to the very back of the place and now is far from the stage. Mabey ya get the place to move the bar to the back and run Video feed for the peeps in the bar. It sure helped at my place now if people would come for the music and not the social hour I might pull a great tape here.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »
you have all the caps for the 390s?

No I just got the hypers.  But I do have all the caps for the AT853, which I have been using also.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 12:01:02 AM »
if it were me, I'd move a little to the left of where the pic is taken from (if possible), and run DIN (which I did everytime).  If its really noisy and echoing, I'd use the hypers, but I'd dry cards first.  I prefer the least directional mics I can get away with.

I'm not an expert on XY, so I could be completely mistaken, but I've always thought that XY would eliminate boominess/high levels of bass - I don't know if XY would necessarily get rid of other kinds of noise that isn't low-end boominess. 

I tried from where you say, but I got too much echo, even from the hypers.

Hmm.  I'm guessing that split cards, way split, like one on each side of the room, is not the way to go.  I'm going to try the split cards, but I'm also going to get a drop down from the ceiling.  Somehow I'm going to do it...

By the way, I just bought a Presonus Firepod.  This is a firewire interface with eight (!) mic/line inputs.  So I can try several mics/capsules/positions at the same time.  So far I've been recording soundboard (line in) on two and AKG CK93 (mic in) on another two.  Then I have two additional stereo inputs to play with :)

Richard

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:49:00 AM »
Is getting a long boom an option...run it on the side up and over to your desired location?????
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:06:48 AM »
You need to suggest to the bar owner that you'll redecorate the room for free, and sneak in some hi-tech echo cancelling equipment (empty egg boxes). Cover a wall in them, paint them a funky colour, and they'll look like they were meant to be there..

..and yes, I fully accept -t's for the daft suggestion  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 06:08:34 AM by Humbug »
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

sml42

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 10:30:29 AM »
I still cant get rid of the talkers unless I bring enough duct tape for everyones mouth.

:clapping:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 04:10:58 AM »
Is getting a long boom an option...run it on the side up and over to your desired location?????

I think I've convinced the bar owner to put a single hook in the ceiling. :)  I can hang some gear from that, either a pair of AT853, or maybe a pair of CK93 caps.  I'll report back how it goes...

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com