Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Samsung 22- Does it add self noise?

(1/1)

firemt66:
Hello, I was just wondering, the past two shows I went to were solo acoustic shows. one I used ecm719 the other Church audio 14 card mics. I used the new sound professional Cable thet made with the field recorder app out of Germany. Both shows while the performer was talking,the levels were low and you can hear a hiss type noise. I don't hear that when they're playing Just when they're talking.Is that normal I've been using the phone method since last summer but they've been loud rock concerts so I haven't noticed the noise during the quiet talking parts. Thanks for any insight, Scott

Gutbucket:
That's the noise floor of the recording, which is likely to be audible only during the quiet parts.  Likely that the noise floor you are hearing is the self-noise of the mics, but could be elsewhere in signal chain, like how the gain is set on a preamp verses the following recording stage.  The first you can't do anything to prevent other than switching to mics with a lower self-noise spec, if the second, you may be able to set things differently so as to reduce the level of noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version