Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: New computer: build, buy, or go Mac?  (Read 9498 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TSKB: New computer: build, buy, or go Mac?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »

The flip side to that is software compatibility, in any area.  You are extremely limited in this area

no, you're not

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
the only way in which you are not limited to certain mac compatible third party applications, is by running a Windows O/S.  Without doing this, you are limited to hundreds of Mac compatible software titles, versus thousands of Windows compatible applications.  I am relatively sure that you can find a Mac compatible software to work just as well, but I am simply saying that without the inclusion of a Windows O/S on your Mac, you are limited in the choices.
And if your choice is to run a Windows O/S on your Mac, don't forget the anti-virus software :)

I hope this clarifies what was intended in my post.
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
the only way in which you are not limited to certain mac compatible third party applications, is by running a Windows O/S.  Without doing this, you are limited to hundreds of Mac compatible software titles, versus thousands of Windows compatible applications.

Yawn.  Stop being controlled by microsoft - Run Linux as your base OS, and run anything else in a virtual machine.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »
the only way in which you are not limited to certain mac compatible third party applications, is by running a Windows O/S.  Without doing this, you are limited to hundreds of Mac compatible software titles, versus thousands of Windows compatible applications.  I am relatively sure that you can find a Mac compatible software to work just as well, but I am simply saying that without the inclusion of a Windows O/S on your Mac, you are limited in the choices.
And if your choice is to run a Windows O/S on your Mac, don't forget the anti-virus software :)

So you're saying that since you cannot run OSX on your Windows machine you are limited whereas on the Mac you are not.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »

it isn't the 90s anymore.  There are thousands of Mac applications now, too.  It's not nearly as "limited" as you think.  Many Mac-only applications have no Windows equivalent, either

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
thank you for the feedback.  i hope this has not distracted the subject too much for what the original post was about
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
In the 500-700 dollar range, you are going to find a lot of very capable Windows 7 based PC's in any big box store.  Warranty is nice to have because the computer companies have been known to build a lemon or two.  Standard MFW is 12 months.  DIY is fun (and sometimes not), and you have something you accomplished to be proud of, but the hours and hours of researching parts, compatibility, etc is consuming.  Look at your personal time as you would if you were getting paid for it.  How much is this machine worth to build, in personal time?

tigerdirect.com has bare bones systems way under $500-700 with a warranty. you may not get a DVD burner but that is $~30. oh and an oS, that can either be bought or obtained.

while it may take a few hours to put everything in the case, once its all together, everything will be fine and work without any issues.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
What did the OP decide to do? Its been a month after last post.

I think I'm going to build a PC but I don't know what OS to use yet because I don't have one. I want linux on it because its free but the Vista / 7 issue is still undecided.

I was looking the Dell Zino and its nice but at the end of the day, it would be more expensive than building my own and the processor would be as fast plus a lot less room for expandability.

My current computer is fine for audio provided I'm not doing much else on it but terrible for HD video and that's what I'm interested in upgrading for.
Sorry about that.  About a week after the last post, I ordered all my components to build.  Around the time everything arrived, I went out of town for a week, and since I got back, I've been busy with building it, getting it situated, and with life :)

These are the most relevant specs:
AMD Phenom II X2 550 processor: Dual-core chip that really has 2 other disabled cores.  Runs at 3.1 Ghz.
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard: onboard AMD graphics, has optical out and HDMI out
4 GB RAM
640 GB WD Caviar Black HD
Sony Optiarc DVD burner w/ Lightscribe

I'm running Win7 and Ubuntu Studio dual-boot.  This Ubuntu flavor includes various multimedia creation SW right out of the box, incl. Audacity.

All in all, it cost me around $600.  I did wind up going with the Altec Lansing VS-4121 speakers from (ugh) Walmart.  They're okay -- the sub is rather large, and kind of gets in the way compared to what I was used to.  I think I still have about a week to return them if I wanted to go in a different direction -- but I still haven't found any other speakers I like in my price range (under $100).
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com