Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158690 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #360 on: April 10, 2019, 01:46:23 AM »
grab a 32GB SE for $50-$100 they come up on slickdeals all the time

small cheap and super battery efficient
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #362 on: April 19, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
So I have done a quick search without finding an answer and am currently reading through this thread, but figured I would post the question since I was hoping to use a d:VICE to record a show tonight.
I have 4060s plugged into the dvice but cannot get the dvice ios app to recognise the dvice.  I have tried multiple cables.  The motiv app receives a signal from the dvice just fine.  I am worried about trying to proceed with this situation as I expect the show to require a minimal input setting from the dvice without the DPA app connecting, I cant make that adjustment (right?).

Anybody else have DPA app problems like this?  Any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #363 on: April 19, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »
Make sure your USB cable is in correctly at the dvice. The factory cable is almost the exact same size as the case around the jack. if you put it in upside down it will go in tight you think the cables in but it’s not even making contact

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #364 on: April 20, 2019, 02:30:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  USB cable orientation isn't the problem as it works with the MOTIV app.  Submitted the question to DPA and recorded tonight's show with a different setup.  Will update the thread if they give me any useful info

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #365 on: April 20, 2019, 02:35:05 PM »
That’s weird

Any of the recording apps I’ve used (voicerecorderpro, apogee MetaRecorder, Rode) can set levels. As far as i know dpa app really only is useful for turning on lowcut. All the apps take control of levels and override anything you set in dvice app

Dpa was of limited help I feel like they farmed the dvice and the software out, nobody there seems to know how it really works

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #366 on: April 20, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
ran 4099s (and 4061s) at death angel last night

2x 4099s actually worked well when the mounts were bent into an arch and taped back to back.

4061s might have the edge in this one as despite the fact i was right up on the PA the sound didnt have a lot of low end. also 4061s have less audible 'movement', the entire floor was a moshpit at some points, i was off to the side with one eye on the pit.

forgot to try the linked apogee master/slave recording again. thought about it mid-set :(

4061s  - did nothing to it but normalize

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZc8yLhr7mUjSsng_WKdfBoeF7WKYxLx

4099s - bumped bass a bit in EQ and normalized

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oR4eCMbGj5LsTtEiKzXwS8AiRnYeIHT1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:13:40 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #367 on: April 20, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
Just remember that there are prying eyes poking around TS.
Out in your neck of the woods too... 
Careful With That Picture, Eugene.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #368 on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
picture? what picture?

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #369 on: April 21, 2019, 02:40:12 AM »
I've been reading up on the d:vice before purchasing and noticed a few older comments about clipping even with minimum gain settings when trying to run 4060's in a loud environment. Have there been any software / firmware updates to address this, or is a 4060 -> d:vice setup not going to cut it for typical rock shows?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #370 on: April 21, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »
4060s are the problem. you need 4061s for a loud show. the 4060 COREs might work (reduces clipping at mic at high SPLs) but will still be putting an awful hot signal to the d:vice relative to the 4061s at the same SPL, and might clip the d:vice's input ("brickwall" it)

4060= 20 mV/Pa
4061 = 6 mV/Pa

for a given SPL, 4060s are going to be feeding a signal to the d:vice thats 10dB hotter
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:52:17 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #371 on: April 21, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
When you're taping a loud show with 4061s would you be hard pressed to keep the peaks well under -10dB, or does the d:vice just not provide that much headroom in your experience?

You won't find me stack taping, but I've been using 4060s for nearly 10 years and have only encountered 2 or 3 shows where the SPL went beyond what they could handle. Ideally I would simply swap out my Tascam recorder for the d:vice + iPhone, but some of the early comments from 4060 users indicated that they were experiencing clipped waveforms using the d:vice with minimum gain settings in situations where running the 4060s into a portable recorder would have been fine.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
When you're taping a loud show with 4061s would you be hard pressed to keep the peaks well under -10dB, or does the d:vice just not provide that much headroom in your experience?

not hard pressed but they would be low. a lot of that is trying to understand the fuckery of how dpa app controls level (nothing like what support tells you, they dont understand it), and the voicerecorder pro app (with non-intuitive scales like VU mixed in with FSD). AFAIK if you make sure low cut is off in DPA app and never open it again, it stays off. and skipping dpa app and setting levels in apogee metarecorder seems accurate and reliable

also the fact that as remarkable a mic series that the 406x is, they do distort at lower levels than a full-size cap. even if their numbers dont show that (DPA uses 1% THD as their reporting standard which masks that relative to most mfrs numbers reported at 0.5%, esp for a mic like the 406x that has the low end extension, with the energy that is more prone to distort)

You won't find me stack taping, but I've been using 4060s for nearly 10 years and have only encountered 2 or 3 shows where the SPL went beyond what they could handle. Ideally I would simply swap out my Tascam recorder for the d:vice + iPhone, but some of the early comments from 4060 users indicated that they were experiencing clipped waveforms using the d:vice with minimum gain settings in situations where running the 4060s into a portable recorder would have been fine.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:20:03 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #373 on: April 22, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
4060s are the problem. you need 4061s for a loud show. the 4060 COREs might work (reduces clipping at mic at high SPLs)..

The legacy version and CORE version actually have the same max-SPL specification (clipping level). CORE produces less distortion for any given level below that max-SPL point.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
even if their numbers dont show that (DPA uses 1% THD as their reporting standard which masks that relative to most mfrs numbers reported at 0.5%, esp for a mic like the 406x that has the low end extension, with the energy that is more prone to distort)

I wouldn't say DPA is masking anything; they give you all the numbers you need to interpret the specification.  Personally, I think 1% is a pretty good reference point for THD, as it is commonly cited as the threshold of audibility.  The math to calculate 0.5% (or another value for that matter) is really straightforward and simple as well.  There are other companies that also use 1% (Audio-Technica and Sanken, for example) and some don't specify this at all, such as Sennheiser (or, at least, they make it very difficult to find)...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com