Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Single set of PIP lavs into two separate recorders?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline RobBain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Single set of PIP lavs into two separate recorders?
« on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
Hi Tapers

Just wondering if anyone has fed two separate recorders by a single set (pair) of lavs (ie. through a Y splitter)?

I have two Sony PCM-A10s and wondered if I could feed a single set of LOM MikroUsi's into both.  For sources with a wide dynamic range (eg. gentle rain and intermittent thunder) this would let me set the input gain low on one and high on the other, and I would work to get the best of both in my DAW.

Daft idea?  Problems with PIP power?  Would it work?

Thoughts anyone?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob
Sony PCM-A10 | Sennheiser MKE 600 / LOM mikroUsi's / Clippy EM172s

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Single set of PIP lavs into two separate recorders?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 11:06:26 AM »
are you using PIP from an A-10 or from a batt box? the A-10 alone is under 3V and wont allow most mics to handle loud sources.

with a separate batt box you could probably split it easily

the A10 has pretty wide dynamic range for its form factor. perhaps use one recorder and watch the levels with the app?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline RobBain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
Thanks JF.  I'm not actually 'using' anything at the mo - I'm just thinking about it.

It would be LOMs >> Y Splitter (one stereo female into two stereo males) >> 2 separate PCM-A10s (mic in).  No battery box.  Just a straightforward splitter cable.

Just wondering if I might damage anything (or whether or not it might be a complete waste of time)?

This would be to mimic the functionality of Roland's M-07 (which can make two simultaneous recordings at different levels).

Kind regards,

Rob

are you using PIP from an A-10 or from a batt box? the A-10 alone is under 3V and wont allow most mics to handle loud sources.

with a separate batt box you could probably split it easily

the A10 has pretty wide dynamic range for its form factor. perhaps use one recorder and watch the levels with the app?
Sony PCM-A10 | Sennheiser MKE 600 / LOM mikroUsi's / Clippy EM172s

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:54 AM »
youd have to experiment.

the only difference between mic-in and line-in on A10 is PIP. i would try and run PIP on only one recorder. thats still gonna impart voltage to the other input and might result in noise
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com