Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery Solution For Lunatec V2  (Read 11518 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Battery Solution For Lunatec V2
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:55:24 AM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
crazy price...  but they claim to have em in stock.
http://www.legendmicro.com/store/3645_Initial-RB-270-Rechargeable-DVD-Player-Battery.lmsp

Radio Shack has lower capacity Lenmars.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3557112

Hey...........I bought some NOS of RB-270's quite a few months ago, of the three, two were DOA out of the wrapping and one would barely charge.  I got to open one of the DOA batteries and the cells were leaking.  I am NOT saying these are the same, BUT, since the RB-270 appears to be out of production there is a good chance that these have been sitting around on a shelf for a long time.  Just sharing my experience that new does not mean the battery cells are brand new but could be 5 -6 years old

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
That is a major concern - I love the RB-270 and mine are still going strong.  But any stock out there is probably very old.

Lithium batteries will wear out just sitting on the shelf.  And if they have seen high temps, they can wear out much more quickly.  It is best to store them in the fridge.

And once their charge falls below a certain point, the protection circuit typically will not allow them to be recharged for safety reasons.

Another alternative is simply to use the sony style camcorder batteries, ala the 722.  Buy a $5 sled and solder in a v2 or v3 cable.  Then you can use the same type of batteries for both of your major components.

As a bonus, you won't have a cheap regulator converting the voltage to 9 or 12 volts with added noise, only to be regulated back down by the preamp and rejected as a bunch of useless heat.  The regulator noise from an RB270 can actually be picked up by some gear when in close proximity.  Don't put your regulated lithium batteries around your cables or lay it against your devices.

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
The 7xx series batteries use the same 18650 cells.  So the 3.7v rating has to have some kind of regulation in it somewhere.  As for noise of the DVD style,I didn't know that, but did know that the china 10000mAh "blue" batteries can cause noise in line. 

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
The 7xx series batteries use the same 18650 cells.  So the 3.7v rating has to have some kind of regulation in it somewhere.  As for noise of the DVD style,I didn't know that, but did know that the china 10000mAh "blue" batteries can cause noise in line.

I believe the cells are conbined in series, without a regulator.  Sony specs the max voltage as 8.4.  I see 7 volts nominal - I base that on the 722's battery indicator, which reports voltage. As the battery is drained, the reported voltage decreases, suggesting there is no regulation.

Regarding the dvd style noise, I'd guess it might vary a bit, with some batteries generating more noise than others. I doubt there is much qa or component selection for that.

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

I believe the cells are conbined in series, without a regulator.  Sony specs the max voltage as 8.4.  I see 7 volts nominal - I base that on the 722's battery indicator, which reports voltage. As the battery is drained, the reported voltage decreases, suggesting there is no regulation.

Regarding the dvd style noise, I'd guess it might vary a bit, with some batteries generating more noise than others. I doubt there is much qa or component selection for that.
From what I have seen it is a combination of in series and in parallel. Gives a 7.4 voltage @ (2 x ?mAh, the larger ones would be 3 times.) which would be the output without a regulator.  I thought the 7xx series were 12v but then I don't really know.  If it's only running around 44oomAh, that could be a little short run time for a V2(3).  Thats assuming stock 2200mAh cells, which is what most things I've seen have.  The larger one at 6600mAh would be roughly equlivant to the DVD batteries that most of use use.  They range 5400 - 6000 mAh @ 9V
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:38:18 PM by kirkd »

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
have you seen my solution for the V3? It could be done for the V2 too ...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=155829.msg1969287#msg1969287

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »

Am I correct in finding that they cost about $80 for the adapter?
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/hawk-woods_dv-sqnr
For $80 I could redo your DVD battery and give you run times of 10 plus hours and you could buy a beer at the show. 

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »

For $80 I could redo your DVD battery and give you run times of 10 plus hours and you could buy a beer at the show.

Whatever ... all my mobile equipment is powered by this Hirose solution, either with a power supply or batteries. I guess you didn't got the idea behind all this.

kirk97132

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »

Whatever ... all my mobile equipment is powered by this Hirose solution, either with a power supply or batteries. I guess you didn't got the idea behind all this.
really that's your response.  you're telling Z-man to spend the cost of having a hirose plug installed on his V3, then $80 plus whatever two more batteries is gonna cost him, since he swaps them out and a battery that will be 6600mAh. Rather than spending less than 80/each to get larger capacity battery.  Nope I don't get the idea that in order to run more than one piece of gear you need an 80 adapter for each piece of gear you own and that every piece of gear has to have a different DC input installed since most don't have hirose connectors.  I would need to spend $400 in adapters alone to run my gear in the field.  not to mention the cost of having 680's changed out to hirose adapters  I rather spend all that money on more gear.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
really that's your response.  you're telling Z-man to spend the cost of having a hirose plug installed on his V3, then $80 plus whatever two more batteries is gonna cost him,

I'm not telling anybody anything here. For me that is a place to show ideas and solutions. My reasoning for this solution I explained in my original post. Cost was not a concern for me, not meant arrogant.
My mobile equipment consists, beside several smaller recorders, a SD 744T, two Neumann DMI-2p and the V3. All of these are powered thru Hirose connectors and the 744T uses NPF batteries. Beside the 744T I use two of these Hawkwood devices for powering either two DMI-2p or the V3. Furthermore I have several power supplies for this Hirose connectors and now I can combine them without watching out to get all the correct wall warts.
If much more mobile powering is necessary the Hirose solution allows to connect NP-1 battery holders. I walk around with my equipment to record sounds and ambiences (field recording) and I appreciate a mechanical solid solution, which the Hirose connector is. It locks and stays secure and I don't like bad surprises while recording (who does?). Even in stationary recording situations I like the Hirose solution. The original powering connector on the V3 was the only weak point I found. Although you could screw it on for security I found it to have contact problems sometimes. I can quote even Micael Grace from a mail to me: "I think that (the Hirose) is probably a better connector than the original!" He even made me a nice CAD drawing to show how the Hirose connector could fit best. Go figure ... Being cost effective is not always the primary concern for everybody.
The V3 and V2 are absolutely fantastic products and for me my V3 is now perfect with this powering solution (and the additional TOS output). Grace Design in general is one of the most amazing companies I came across.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:44:12 AM by dream »

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
The original powering connector on the V3 was the only weak point I found. Although you could screw it on for security I found it to have contact problems sometimes.

That is true.  It looks and seems very secure, but it isn't.  The tighter you turn the collar, the greater the chance that the plug will sit perfectly in the middle of the bore and not make contact with the pin.  It is a sloppy engineering and production flaw at Switchcraft, which they are surely aware of.  The split pin should be heat treated and should spring out, but the metal is soft and malleable.

The clunky but effective solution is the tiny bit of rubber stuffed into the split pin to splay it apart so it always makes contact. That has always been reliable for me.

Of course the v2 uses an xlr for power, which is huge.  But it is solid.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

The form factor is nice, but I don't like the implementation because it regulates the voltage up to 12 volts, which then must be regulated down again by the v3, and probably the 722.  That's a great deal of energy loss, and the loss is turned into heat.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Of course the v2 uses an xlr for power, which is huge.  But it is solid.

Ah, I didn't know this - thank you. I thought it was the same as in the V3. That makes my whole posts not appropriate for the OP. Sorry for that.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »

The form factor is nice, but I don't like the implementation because it regulates the voltage up to 12 volts, which then must be regulated down again by the v3, and probably the 722.  That's a great deal of energy loss, and the loss is turned into heat.

The SD 7xx series works with the shown NPF batteries internally anyway and I think SD knows what they're doing. The Neumann DMI-2p needs 10-18 Volts, so the 12 Volts fit nicely. The V3 can be powered from 6-12 Volts and I got no warning of disadvantages from Michael Grace. You have to see this from a practical viewpoint. The first goal was to power the DMI-2p alongside the 744T with the same batteries. On the road I can charge the DMI-2p batteries with the 744T - no extra charger. The same form factor makes is one thing less to care about. Nowadays I mainly use my digital microphones and therefore the V3 is not used very often anymore. But if the same powering method for the V3 is for me just convenient. And as I mentioned I have several power supplies with Hirose for stationary usage. It all makes sense for my workflow but maybe useless for others. I was just showing what my solution is.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.256 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com