Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Easiest way to power an R-44?  (Read 16654 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Easiest way to power an R-44?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
r4 side:  adaptaplug M.  tip -

battery side:  adaptaplug B, tip +

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »
OK, I have the plug - one tip B, one tip M.

I'm still a touch confused, though, as both tips have a "-" on the back and a "+" on the front (plug) side.

When I bought them I didn't see a choice of buying + or - plugs... am I missing something?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
OK, so after having power issues at a recent show (and thus not getting the last 30 minutes or so recorded... DOH!),  I vowed to never let this happen again and finally picked up one of the RB-270 batteries off eBay and all the necessary adaptaplug hardware, and got everything working fine. 

My question is... what's the best way to get this battery "conditioned"?  I fully charged it right away when I got it (this was a few weeks ago, but I'm assuming it's still fully charged). 

Do I need to run it down all the way to zero and then give it a full charge again?

Is there a preferred method of draining/charging to get maximum charge and long term best performance out of these things?

Acidjack - did you get the polarity thing figured out?  The markings are a little hard to see - the important thing is to reverse only one connector (it doesn't matter which one).

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
bump

I'm planning to use the battery to record a show tomorrow, so I'm wondering what I need to do.

Ran some tests at home with my whole rig & the battery - maybe an hour total, and my battery is still showing "almost full" (the "full" light out, all others on).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
I posted some extensive info on Li-ions awhile back, see this thread:
Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
Thanks Lee, that's what I was looking for.  I figured there had to be some discussion here on TS, but my searches with "rb-270" and other specific terms were coming up with nothing, and the more generic ones were getting way too many results to sift through.

Interesting, because I always assumed it was best to fully drain these before recharching (WRONG!).

So it sounds like the "40%" rule applies right away, and since I'm probably at 80-90% right now, I should just record the show tomorrow and that would bring me down to a good level for storage. 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Just to be clear, is there a cable to go between b tip and m tip that is available at r shack or do you make the cable?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
The cable is a 6ft cable (not 6 inches like the web site says).  My local RS store had it, along with both tips:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875412

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
You can also get two single adaptaplug female sockets and connect them together if you need a cable less than a foot long. The pigtails on this are about 5" long. Two of these are cheaper than the 6' cable linked above.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807941

As always, check with a VOM when done to verify polarity.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »
thanks for your input.

i went to a small town radio shack and found the adaptaplugs B & M but not the cable to go in between them. the lady told me the cable doesn't exist so I walked out of there scratching my head considering I saw it on RADIO SHACK'S WEBSITE EARLIER IN THE DAY.

I'll check locally later this week at radio shack...although Ted's power cable is very reasonably priced considering the b&m plugs are $7 each and the cable is another $9.5.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
get yourself a solder gun.. a short length of cable..

B: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102598
M: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614

reverse the tip and sleeve check with volt meter and voila!

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »
What is the current front runner.

This is an old thread with a lot of old links.
?
Is there a solution under $50?  and do any of them come with the correct cable?  or will i always have to outsource

Offline rumbleseat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »
"Frontrunner" implies that someone has done a poll or some such.  I'm not sure I've seen that, but I'll tell you what has worked for me (and others on TS).

Talentcell 100 WH $49.99 or 132 WH $64.99 battery from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-20000mAh-Portable/dp/B01337QXMA/

The 100WH is cleared to fly in carry-on luggage.  The 132 WH battery needs "airline approval" according to the FAA.  Many airlines clearly state that this one is OK, but others, you'll have to contact.  I flew Aer Lingus with it and they just needed to know what flight I was on so the cabin crew was aware of it.  If one of these lithium ion batteries (or a laptop) catches on fire, pour plain water on it.  Sorry for the digression.

On that same Amazon page, there's a $6.19 5.5x2.5 to 5.5x2.1 "reverse polarity cable".  I'm fairly sure that cable will plug into the 9V output of the battery and into your R44 deck and you're set to go.  The battery is supplied with a similar 5.5x2.5 male to 5.5x2.1 male cable that's non-reversed.  You can get a separate inverting cable to make the supplied cable work, like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Reverse-Polarity-Converter-Cable-Lead-for-Keyboard-Guitar-Pedal-5-5x2-1mm/131446350790
(just duct tape the two cables together...)

This battery also has 12V and 5V USB output which can all be run simultaneously - handy for charging your phone at the show.
Others have voiced concern about the rocker on/off switch.  I've never had it flip accidentally - just be mindful of it.

Hope this helps!
  - Randy

AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
My anecdotal experience, but I use the 11000 mAh (132 WH) battery listed above as well and really like it.  Powers the R-44 and Aerco MP-2 for a standard show with tons to spare.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com