Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HOW DO I CHOOSE A SOUNDCARD?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
HOW DO I CHOOSE A SOUNDCARD?
« on: August 04, 2003, 12:35:55 PM »
Ok I'm a newbie with a genuine question. So listen up.

This is a question about SOUNDCARDS.

Having already 'taped' three concerts (ok I didn't really tape them, I used a minidisc recorder, which I don't really understand why you hardcore people shun but anyway...) I am now faced with the problem of making a perfect, exact, BIT FOR BIT digital copy of these minidiscs so that they may be burnt onto CD-R (obviously after some editing).

Now I understand that the cheapest soundcard with digital optical-in does not make a perfect bit for bit copy (although I don't understand why).

What I'd like to know is what's wrong with a soundcard like the Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2? It isn't cheap but it claims to be able to make bit-for-bit copies as good as any professional equipment. Why do you tapers insist on much more expensive soundcards by manufacturers I've never heard of? I'm not having a go at you or anything, I'm just curious as to how you decide what is a worthwhile soundcard, and what isn't.

[AND REMEMBER all I'm concerned about is making a digital copy as close to the original, other issues like the DAC, whether it does 5.1 or 6.1 channel sound, how many ins/outs it has etc. etc. aren't relevant.]

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re:HOW DO I CHOOSE A SOUNDCARD?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 12:42:25 PM »
Which thread do you want people to reply to, this one or the topic under Computer Recording?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 12:43:33 PM »
well... i want as much advice as i can get... does it matter?

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 12:45:30 PM »
It'll just lend to confusion, thats all.

I already added my part to the other thread.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 12:48:26 PM »
fine... i'll remove it from here and just leave the one in the computer recording section...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 12:56:07 PM »
Now I understand that the cheapest soundcard with digital optical-in does not make a perfect bit for bit copy (although I don't understand why).
Some sound card manufacturers will re-clock the signal, which means they have to take the bits interpret them, then spit them out again. Why??? because they use an inferior design (just my opinion).

What I'd like to know is what's wrong with a soundcard like the Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2?

Don't use it, or a wintel box, so can't help you here. But Creative has had one of the worst track records for re-clock digital input of the "major" card manufacturers. I'm sure somebody else will fill you in on this one.

Why do you tapers insist on much more expensive soundcards by manufacturers I've never heard of? I'm not having a go at you or anything, I'm just curious as to how you decide what is a worthwhile soundcard, and what isn't.
Well this is a tough one. One could say that about a lot of the mics, preamps, mixers, etc. that tapers use. To the casual PC user we're all using exotic sound cards, but when you price out things, they probably aren't that much more (ok, mine is, but then I've got 8 analog inputs, 2 digital inputs, word clock, and ADAT)... What makes a great sound card? One that contains a decent A/D & D/A chip, has the right I/O for your project and one that sound like the material you put into (or generated) out of it.

If all you're worried about is Digital to Digital, then just make sure the soundcard doesn't resample and you should be set. Your needs and mine obviously aren't the same, so there isn't any reason for you to plunk down $900 for a MOTU unit/card. Go for what you think you need. To use another analogy. When you need to cut wood, do you use a miter saw, hand saw, or table saw? Depends on your needs and budget. If your not going to cut a lot of wood, a hand saw might be exactly the tool you need. It's the same for sound cards. No need to spend 1K for a sound card if you're only going to use 1/10th of the features.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com