Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading my rig, am I forgetting anything?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
Upgrading my rig, am I forgetting anything?
« on: October 09, 2003, 10:44:21 AM »
Hi,

I have finally gathered up the dough to get a new rig, no more MD for me, but i need to know if i am forgetting anything.

KSM 137 st pair > UA5 > Laptop

I searched up and down the boards and couldn't find any thread about the 137s, are they good?  also what brand of cables are good?  should i have a shockmount of any type, if so which one(s) will hold them?  

what i do have:
a 15'' stand
plans for the battery sled (UA5)
the laptop, new dell

thanks for all of your help.

bill
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
Re:Upgrading my rig, am I forgetting anything?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 10:53:05 AM »
definately need shockmounts, im not familiar with your mics but id go for either the at8410's or if your will fit in the schoeps A20 i think it is, id get those because their smaller.  As for mic cables, how much are you looking to spend? I have a pair of silver serpents that I love and a pair that I bought off of daryan (Shitty tapes, the "D"....) and they work great too.  Id say buy a pair off someone on the board.  You also need to get either a stereo bar or something to hold both your mics, I personally use the shure vert bar and the AKG bar, id suggest the vert bar. hope this helps
Kevin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 10:54:07 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 11:08:37 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I will look into thoes 8410s.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 01:59:09 PM »
What kind of mics are they??????? ???

Daryan

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 02:45:14 PM »
they are shure ksm 137 matched pair

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 04:10:36 PM »
And I just thought of another question, what program should I use to record on my PC?  I might also have and iBook available then too.  thanks.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 04:14:48 PM »
I like steinbergs wavlab but soundforge is decent too.
481(3)>722

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »
if your anything like me, you'll find a little something that your rig "needs" at least once a month..  as for software, i really recommend wavelab.  I can get you a copy if you need it.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 04:22:26 PM »
that would be awsome, give me an IM if you could.  thanks.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 04:37:19 PM »
Just at curiosity, is there a reason you are choosing the mics you have chosen???  I am not knocking them, as I know nothing about them, it just seems like you may want to hear some tapes or something with them first!

Daryan

DaryanLenz

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 04:41:25 PM »
They appear to be about 300 bucks a pop on-line.  If you don't mind me asking, what were you looking at paying for the matched pair??  Specs are pretty decent but you will be stuck with cards only.

Daryan

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 05:03:42 PM »
I have a friend working in a music warehouse and i can get the pair for about 350 or the 141s for a little shy of 400.  I don't know why I would need a matched omni/card pair.  Am i missing something? Thanks.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 05:07:09 PM »
I was saying you wouldn't have any choice when it comes to polarity, meaning you would be stuck running cards in shitty rooms whether you liked it or not.  I wouldn';t imagine matching omni's are all that important, but I could be mistaken.  Does he have any other types of mics?  As in neumann etc?

Daryan

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 05:16:50 PM »
I have looked at the 183s and 185s, but thoes are about that much for just one, and not a pair.  I also looked at some AKGs the C451B pair is close to my price range, but the 391s didn't handle ^ spl and the c1000s were below my price range, if you think the 451Bs would be better let me know, and if you can think of some neumanns that i didn't mention that might be a little cheaper let me know.  thanks for your help.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 05:20:47 PM »
Glad to help out.  Some other suggestions would be adk tl-11's, oktava's (some like, I personally don't), used gefell 300's, mbho's from kris booth...(this is what I would do if it were my coin), 391's (I have never heard of problems with spl's, someone else will hopefully chime in here), hmm, maybe I will come up with some others.

I just don't know anything about the shure's, and I expect noone else does either!

daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com