Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help! Archaic Speakers Issue, Need Workaround  (Read 3663 times)

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
Help! Archaic Speakers Issue, Need Workaround
« on: December 04, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
So I inherited some old speakers.  I think they were nice for their time, maybe $1500/pair.  They are Infinity Kappa 7 Reference Series, or something like that.  The one I'm using for left channel had got beat up during shipping, and these babies weren't in use for about 4 years before I got them in my hands.  I don't know much about playback systems, or these speakers, and don't really have specs.  I looked on the Infinity webpage, but the Kappa 7.1 picture they had didn't look like the speakers I have.  These things are from the early 90s.

So the subwoofer on the left channel got beat up.  The dome, or whatever the material is that makes it, is shredded.  At certain frequencies it rumbles, and I applied tape to the woofer: connecting from the woofer to the woodwork, spanning across where the material is missing, which helps eliminate some rumble (I can provide a picture later if needed).  And the tweeter just recently started crackling.  But I can't figure out when or at what frequencies.  I have the speakers' sister set, Kappa 5's or something like that, acting as surround left and surround right speakers.  It's going through some Yamaha receiver purchased at Costco.  I think they are all 6 ohm, whatever that means.  I've considered eliminating the surround set-up and using the Kappa 5's as the front right/left since they work fine, and tossing the Kappa 7s, but they don't sound as spacious or sit as high off the ground.

I'm looking for an *.mp3 or *.flac file that sweeps across frequencies, so I can determine which frequencies are causing the troubles.  Should I just abandon my archaic surround set-up and use the Kappa 5's that are reliable?  Is there any audio software that lets me eliminate certain frequencies from being played in a specific channel so the speaker doesn't crackle and rumble during certain music?

Some of this might be sacrilege for audiophiles.  I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have.  I can't afford new speakers, but want to make these work.  I want to stop the crackling and rumbling!  If you don't think I can, I'll replace the front speakers with the surround left/right.  Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable at all on this topic, and I could really use your input, help, suggestions, criticism, recommendations, and tips.  What can I do?  Should I just roll with 2-channel and abandon the surround?  It's only the front left speaker that has issues, the front right works fine.  Most 5.1 movies sound great.  It's just some music really brings out the rumbling and crackling in the low and high ends.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:16:44 PM by root_ »

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Help! Archaic Speakers Issue, Need Workaround
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
If I was in your position and wanted to 'fix' this problem with out spending a ton I would just ebay a cheap speaker of the same size and swap it out.  EQ'ing out the offending freq is just gonna make what you listen to sound like crap.  Just replace the speaker.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
So I inherited some old speakers.  I think they were nice for their time, maybe $1500/pair.  They are Infinity Kappa 7 Reference Series, or something like that.  The one I'm using for left channel had got beat up during shipping, and these babies weren't in use for about 4 years before I got them in my hands.  I don't know much about playback systems, or these speakers, and don't really have specs.  I looked on the Infinity webpage, but the Kappa 7.1 picture they had didn't look like the speakers I have.  These things are from the early 90s.

So the subwoofer on the left channel got beat up.  The dome, or whatever the material is that makes it, is shredded.  At certain frequencies it rumbles, and I applied tape to the woofer: connecting from the woofer to the woodwork, spanning across where the material is missing, which helps eliminate some rumble (I can provide a picture later if needed).  And the tweeter just recently started crackling.  But I can't figure out when or at what frequencies.  I have the speakers' sister set, Kappa 5's or something like that, acting as surround left and surround right speakers.  It's going through some Yamaha receiver purchased at Costco.  I think they are all 6 ohm, whatever that means.  I've considered eliminating the surround set-up and using the Kappa 5's as the front right/left since they work fine, and tossing the Kappa 7s, but they don't sound as spacious or sit as high off the ground.

I'm looking for an *.mp3 or *.flac file that sweeps across frequencies, so I can determine which frequencies are causing the troubles.  Should I just abandon my archaic surround set-up and use the Kappa 5's that are reliable?  Is there any audio software that lets me eliminate certain frequencies from being played in a specific channel so the speaker doesn't crackle and rumble during certain music?

Some of this might be sacrilege for audiophiles.  I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have.  I can't afford new speakers, but want to make these work.  I want to stop the crackling and rumbling!  If you don't think I can, I'll replace the front speakers with the surround left/right.  Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable at all on this topic, and I could really use your input, help, suggestions, criticism, recommendations, and tips.  What can I do?  Should I just roll with 2-channel and abandon the surround?  It's only the front left speaker that has issues, the front right works fine.  Most 5.1 movies sound great.  It's just some music really brings out the rumbling and crackling in the low and high ends.

Thanks!

Please take a picture of the damage.. Foam surrounds can be replaced if the speaker is ok dust caps can also be picked back up with a pin then a small amount of silicone to seal the hole made by the pin and your in business.
Infinity is still in business and they dont charge alot for replacement drivers. Here is there email for parts  parts@harman.com

but you should know what needs to be replaced before you email them for prices.

Send me a picture or two.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:00:00 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
I haven't dusted the speaker off since it seems so fragile and I didn't want to touch it.

This is the speaker:

A little closer:

Closer, showing how the foam is gone:

And the tweeter that crackles, likely due to internal damage:

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
I haven't dusted the speaker off since it seems so fragile and I didn't want to touch it.

Check these guys out for new foam surrounds.. Replace them both also replace both tweeters its better to have a fresh pair in your boxes.

http://www.speakerworldonline.com/default.aspx?pageID=12864&page=0&cat=1243

Replacement tweeters

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Emit-Tweeters-Tested-and-working-well-NR_W0QQitemZ180310290810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item180310290810&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Thanks!  So you recommend replacing both woofer foam surrounds and both tweeters?  I assume I'd need a professional to install them once I purchased them?  How much would that run me, do you think?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »

Check these guys out for new foam surrounds.. Replace them both also replace both tweeters its better to have a fresh pair in your boxes.

http://www.speakerworldonline.com/default.aspx?pageID=12864&page=0&cat=1243

Replacement tweeters

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Emit-Tweeters-Tested-and-working-well-NR_W0QQitemZ180310290810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item180310290810&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Thanks!  So you recommend replacing both woofer foam surrounds and both tweeters?  I assume I'd need a professional to install them once I purchased them?  How much would that run me, do you think?

$24 + shipping for the surrounds you can do it your self if your careful

The tweeters will sell for around $50 - $75 for the pair they are really good sounding tweeters.

Chris

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:22:02 PM »
So do you think these speakers are worth the money it would cost to fix them up?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
Definitely, those speakers are great, especially the tweets.  I have an older pair of RS4B's era 1986 that I love and still use, redid the foam surrounds about 10 years ago.

I don't think you can by something better without spending a bunch of dough.  Fix them for cheap and be happy.  Do the foam surrounds, try cleaning the input binding posts or spring clips and use some sort of contact cleaner for the L-pads that adjust the tweeter and mid driver levels. Spray the cleaner in the pots along the knob's shaft and turn them back and forth a bunch and that may clean up the crackle and you may not need new tweeters.  You might get something with some more juice to drive them. Clipping the amp is what usually burns out those Emit tweeters.

If you decide you don't want them and are anywhere between FL and NC I'll buy them from you as I drive thorough there relatively regularly.  I love the old Infinities and would like to find some more to set up a full surround system with them now that I've been doing more surround recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
Do the foam surrounds, try cleaning the input binding posts or spring clips and use some sort of contact cleaner for the L-pads that adjust the tweeter and mid driver levels. Spray the cleaner in the pots along the knob's shaft and turn them back and forth a bunch and that may clean up the crackle and you may not need new tweeters.
I have no idea what this means! (:

But your words are encouraging.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
Read the link that Chris posted for replacing the foam surrounds (the currently rotten part around the edge of woofer that centers the cone).  They probably have instructions posted there on how to do it that you can read and decide if you are up to it. It's really not that hard.  This needs to be done though or you could damage the coils of the woofers because there is nothing centering the cones in the magnets.

Clean the contacts on the back of the speaker where the speaker wires connect to remove any rust or crud and make a better connection.  Use some steel wool or something to polish them up.

Find the knobs on the back where the speaker wires connect. There are probably two of them on each speaker. One adjusts the level of the tweeter, the other of the midrange driver. The adjustment mechanism can get dirt and crud in it and could be what is making the tweeter sound scratchy. You can try turning them back and forth a whole bunch quickly to clean the crud off the wiper on the coil inside the mechanism. Sometimes that will work. Easy and free. If the sound still cuts out of the tweeter or sounds scratchy you can try cleaning the mechanisms more thoroughly with some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack or he local music store - comes in a spray can.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Olychild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
You can do it yourself so long as you have some patience. I haven't searched for awhile, but a couple years back I found a few companies online that sell repair kits for blown cones. Never give up on good audio gear!
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:26:36 AM »
So do you think these speakers are worth the money it would cost to fix them up?

Yes I do.

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:31:12 AM »
You guys are great; thanks for the help!  Questions answered... thread closed ^_^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com