Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Understanding Surround speaker placement  (Read 2182 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Understanding Surround speaker placement
« on: February 12, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
Hello,

I have read numerous articles on this site, and others.  I'm a complete noob on this subject.

I have have a Kenwood surround sound receiver, on of the setting is for the distance of the surround speakers.  Something like 8ft 3in, 9ft 2in, or something like that.

My question is, what does that refer to, and how to I use that setting correctly?

Thanks.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Understanding Surround speaker placement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
Hello,

I have read numerous articles on this site, and others.  I'm a complete noob on this subject.

I have have a Kenwood surround sound receiver, on of the setting is for the distance of the surround speakers.  Something like 8ft 3in, 9ft 2in, or something like that.

My question is, what does that refer to, and how to I use that setting correctly?

Thanks.

That setting refers to the distance between your tv set ( center channle) *hopefully they are set up so the face of the screen is even with the face of your center channel ) and the distance to your surround speakers image a triangle the distance should be equal on both sides so if you have 9 feet on one side from the center channel to the surround left the right should also be 9 feet you should be in the middle of the surround speakers. The other important thing to do is set levels so they are all the same from where you are sitting.. You can use a db meter for this. This is an often overlooked part of setting up surround properly. You receiver should have a built in test function that will emit pink noise or a 1k tone for setting up levels of your left, right, center, sub and surround left and right.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »
Hello,

Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation......+t

That setting refers to the distance between your tv set ( center channle) *hopefully they are set up so the face of the screen is even with the face of your center channel ) and the distance to your surround speakers image a triangle the distance should be equal on both sides so if you have 9 feet on one side from the center channel to the surround left the right should also be 9 feet you should be in the middle of the surround speakers. The other important thing to do is set levels so they are all the same from where you are sitting.. You can use a db meter for this. This is an often overlooked part of setting up surround properly. You receiver should have a built in test function that will emit pink noise or a 1k tone for setting up levels of your left, right, center, sub and surround left and right.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
you can knock Sony all you want, but I love my auto calibration mic!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com