Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best point and shoot?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline sailcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best point and shoot?
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
I'm looking for recommendations on the best of the small recorders for point and shoot applications. I record live performances as well as rehearsals, mostly African percussion = pretty high spls. I'm suing the Zoom H2 now, and it's less than happy about the job. I've heard that the Tascam DR 1 has an analogue limiter and an extra-low gain setting, which may take care of these issues.

Anyone got any recommendations on how I should choose my next recorder for this specialized application? External mics usually not an option, by the way.

Thanks

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: best point and shoot?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:47:44 AM »
I still like the Olympus LS-10 - the Edirol R-9HR is also worth considering.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
What don't you like about the H2?  Just clipping at high SPL?  Or something else?

Offline sailcat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
What don't you like about the H2?  Just clipping at high SPL?  Or something else?

Well, I'm getting lots of mud in the low-mid ranges, and I've got to really boost the highs in post. Not really a clipped signal, but maybe some im distortion.  I still need to work more with placement, and haven't tried using all 4 mics in the center of a circle of players, say, to put the low drums on one side and the highs on the other for greater mixing flexibility, but I don't often have as much control of those variables as I would like. 4-8 African drummers at full tilt is a challenge.

to those who recommended R-09HR or the Olympus, why for this particular application? I've read here, for instance, that the Olympus doesn't handle very loud very well.

Anybody got anything on the Tascam?

I'd love to try all of the units and choose the best that way, but I'm on Zoom budget.

edit: I'm not totally ready to give up on the H2 yet - just hoping someone will pop up with a glowing recommendation. Point and shoot is not the common methodology here, so I was wondering who has some experience.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:53:56 PM by sailcat »

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »
Raimund Specht measured clipping level when mic sensitivity is set
to "low" and volume set to maximum:

Edirol R-09HR  clipping at -22 dBu

Olympus LS-10 clipping at -30 dBu

So the R-09HR can record sounds that are 8 dB louder before clipping.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

(note that unless specified otherwise, these recorder tests are
with mic sensitivity set to "high")

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations on the best of the small recorders for point and shoot applications. I record live performances as well as rehearsals, mostly African percussion = pretty high spls. I'm suing the Zoom H2 now, and it's less than happy about the job. I've heard that the Tascam DR 1 has an analogue limiter and an extra-low gain setting, which may take care of these issues.

Anyone got any recommendations on how I should choose my next recorder for this specialized application? External mics usually not an option, by the way.

Thanks

The consensus is that recording at 24 bit and using conservative recording levels is a better way to go than using limiters.

As for units, relying ONLY on the internal mics, the Sony D50 is guaranteed not to disappoint on audio quality (particularly self noise levels), articulation captured in the recording or build quality.

Strictly speaking, THE best from internal mics is the Sony D-1 but at ~ USD $1800 it's probably not what you were thinking of spending. The D50 is about USD $500.

I use an R09HR BTW.

digifish

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:30:32 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
Raimund Specht measured clipping level when mic sensitivity is set
to "low" and volume set to maximum:

Edirol R-09HR  clipping at -22 dBu

Olympus LS-10 clipping at -30 dBu

So the R-09HR can record sounds that are 8 dB louder before clipping.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

(note that unless specified otherwise, these recorder tests are
with mic sensitivity set to "high")

I have a lot of respect for the H2, for a long time it was one of the quietest (self noise internal mics) of any <$500 recorder on the market. I have heard many excellent ambient & instrumental recordings from the H2, but in direct comparison to some of the latest recorders the internal mics? fall down on higher frequency detail / transient capture. I wouldn't recommend recording percussion with it for that reason. However, OTOH placed in the middle of an ensemble with front + rear mics recording you could make a nice overall mix I think.

You can listen to the Zoom H2 compared to other recorders here...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

and

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples-2.html

digifish
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:17:01 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline sailcat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

Digifish - I've lusted after the Sony D1 since it came out, and the D 50 looks very, very good. And I'll still keep working on the H2 in various placements. I understand about 24 bit and conservative levels, but there's no control over levels with internal mics other than LMH gain switch on most of these units. Do any of them have adjustable analog gain? That would definitely solve some of the issues.

Still hoping someone can tell me something about the Tascam unit. On paper, it looks like it would compete favorable with the Sony, but I'd love to hear from someone who's used it.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

... Do any of them have adjustable analog gain? That would definitely solve some of the issues.

Everything but the H2 has variable gain :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
The H2 has three-step analog gain.  Or something like it.  There's some mystery over the high and medium settings, which seem to give the same signal to noise ratio.  Fortunately the mid setting is very well chosen and produces good results with almost all non-amplified music.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
I make another vote for the D50.  I had the H2 and it wasn't bad, but it didn't fit my needs.  The D50 is made well, has dedicated controls for almost everything, and low self noise.  I also like the switchable mic positions.  That gives a little more versatility for me.

Offline nolonemo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »
I also moved from the H2 to the D50.  The D50's sound is definitely a step up, plus if you ever want to use an external mic, there is simply no comparison, the D50's pres blow the H2 away.  Money well spent, IMO, if you can swing it.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
While I agree that the D50 is likely a better unit, but in reading your comments, it seems that there is a placement issue based on the sound you get. Both units will give very nice recordings if placed properly which is often difficult. This is why most of us use external mics whenever possible. Quality is one reason, yes, but placement and placement flexibility is an equally important feature of external mics.

I would look to solve that issue first before shelling out more money. It could very well be the high SPL issue and perhaps a lack of balance between the spl's of the various instruments, but I would listen to samples of others using the Zoom H2 to see if that matches your issues sonically.

I think most of the units we know of perform very nicely in the correct environment and with the correct placement. For example, I have had success in tight spots using my MT 2496. I am not recommending it (or not not recommending it  8)), but I will say as an example, that when using Church mics I can set the LMH swith usually to "M" or "H", and then adjust my gain, but with my AT 853's, I have to stay in the "L" position. (BTW, I always go thru the TRS jacks on my MT, so if someone uses the 1/8 jacks they will have very different results still.) Same recorder, very different results, lots of possible use combinations. The internal mics are what they are on any unit, so determining if they will not work with the music you record should be less difficult. The T-mic my MT came with is different still (omni vs Cardioid for one), so that has different settings that seem to optimize recording with that mic, but placement is always critical. I have a Belkin Tunetalk  recording add-on for my iPod. I have some great recordings from that when well placed. It is the least flexible and a step down, but I have made great recordings in a pinch taping (isn't that why we are called tapers) it up on a wall.

I guess my point is, do the research and don't be hasty. You have a very good recorder, and it may or may not be right for you, but if the issue is improper placement, any recorder will be disappointing.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »
I'm no Sony fluffer, but I must concede that the D50 is a great sounding and well-designed unit.

I think that it doesn't use CF or SDHD cards, however. I didn't have much time to play with it.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
It does use Sony sticks which are more expensive than regular SD or CF cards.  That is really my only complaint against it. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com