Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: batteries for 702  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: batteries for 702
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
What kind of "battery tester"?  Most I know of simply check the voltage.  FWIW, the 7xx units display the voltage on the front panel.  IME, the 7xx li-ion batteries are just as reliable - or more so - as the other NiMH or li-ion batteries I've used.  FWIW, I think using a quality charger is key to achieving a full charge and longevity.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Shelf_life

So Parker from Sonic Sense is completely and dangerously clueless? She recommended 6 full power cycles (ie - charge fully then drain fully in the 744t 6 times). The link above says not to do that and NEVER to drain them.

They recommend storing the battery 40% charged - how can I know when it's 40% charged?

Does anyone here store their lithium batteries in the fridge?

Noam

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »

So Parker from Sonic Sense is completely and dangerously clueless? She recommended 6 full power cycles (ie - charge fully then drain fully in the 744t 6 times). The link above says not to do that and NEVER to drain them.

They recommend storing the battery 40% charged - how can I know when it's 40% charged?

Noam

I've got three batteries.  Two of the 6900mah batteries and one of the 7200mah batteries  Two are name brand one is not.  The newest battery I bought I took it out of the package at noon, charged it, used it at 9pm and have now been using it regularly ever since.   

After a show or the next day I will charge that battery fully and put it in a box that I keep other taping accessories and parts in.  My other two batteries are in there as well.   Day of show i'll stick whichever battery I plan on using and one spare on the charger just to top them off.   Rinse and Repeat.

At no time have I ever seen either in performance or by the 744 battery meter a drop in runtime.  That s not to say that one day I won't but after having two of the batteries a year  and one about six months I just haven't seen it.  One of the 6900mah batteries has been drained enough that my 744 shut itself off and it also still hold a complete charge.

So again battery storage for me is in a plastic tub storage box in a closet (70-72 deg/avg in house).  I use a good charger the  Intiial UFC30 and find it charges the 7200mah fully in about 40 minutes.  Its got a pretty good indicator as well.  I usually tape 24/96 two channels digi in and two channels with P48 on.  My 744 records to both the internal HD and a 32GB CF card.

I don't know what Parker has said but I think everybody has some sort of personal theory/opinion on these batteries.  The above is what works for me without problem.

Even if you are not as strict as some may suggest/opinion (i.e. freezer, 40%, six cycles) the fact that many batteries of significant capacity and reliability are selling in the $35 - $55 range which really is dirt cheap right now.  The trend of higher capacity and lower prices just seems to getting greater and greater.   Whether you use a battery over and over until it dies or loses most of its capacity or if you do regular replacements the low price makes it easy to replace them either way.    If you replace one a year then $35 - $55 yearly operating costs are pretty damn good.   

Read through the dozens of 7xx battery threads and you'll see that there are many affordable, high capacity, proven in the field batteries.   

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »

Noam

I would say this is a fairly accurate appraisal of Parker's technical skills.  She is in sales; she is not an engineer.  Of course, there is always the chance that she knows more than everybody else and she is the first to put that forward as a possibility, but I sure do not subscribe to it.

If you want an answer to an engineering question, why would you ask a salesman???  Hello?  If the sites which are technical in nature refute Parker, whom do you think would be better to believe???

I'll take my answer off the air.      8)

Disclaimer -  I have had dealings with Parker in the past and found her high-priced, over-rated and under-performing.  As usual, YMMV.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »

Noam

I would say this is a fairly accurate appraisal of Parker's technical skills. 

If you want an answer to an engineering question, why would you ask a salesman???  Hello?  If the sites which are technical in nature refute Parker, whom do you think would be better to believe???

I did not ask her anything - she was eager to volunteer her knowledge.

Noam

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
There is a lot of folk wisdom about batteries.  Like all folk wisdom, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not.

Here is a good source of battery info: http://batteryuniversity.com/  This was written by a company that makes battery chargers mostly for police/fire radios so they know what they are talking about.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com