Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best digital recorder under $150  (Read 7160 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Best digital recorder under $150
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
Yes, it went up a little. After thinking about it, it made more sense to put in a few extra bucks and not be sitting there a few months from now cursing myself out. This is exactly what happened with the mini disc and to a lesser extent the giant squid mics. I think I should finally be set; CA-1 mics, church audio bat 2b battery box and the sony pcm-m10. Of course I heard the battery box is optional depending on the genre.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 03:34:13 AM »
Your budget was $194.95.  >:D

great you budget increased to over $150 - I think you'll be very happy!
 :laugh:
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »
Just wanted to add I taped my first show yesterday worth the pcm-m10 and CA-1 mics. It was my daughters band concert and even without a battery box the sound is quite amazing. I have her chorus concert next week and possibly the high school band on sunday. Looking forward to it all, thanks for all the help and input.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 06:15:47 AM »
Wow- that's great!!

I'm glad it's worked out for you in the end...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:30:52 AM by andromedanwarmachine »
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
Just wanted to add I taped my first show yesterday worth the pcm-m10 and CA-1 mics. It was my daughters band concert and even without a battery box the sound is quite amazing. I have her chorus concert next week and possibly the high school band on sunday. Looking forward to it all, thanks for all the help and input.

Congrats.  Great purchase, best value at that price point and your didn't have to break the orig. budget too badly. 

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Suffice to say, I'm quite happy with the two concerts I recorded thus far. The second one was my daughters chorus concert so I had to set it on ten for the majority of the show. Of course the applause between songs goes over but the actual performance is quite good. Both shows I was able to run the CA-1 into the mic in, the band performance was set with the limiter on.
This brings up another question, I already have a Church Audio battery box. Would there be any need to look into one of his preamps? My recording tastes vary from bluegrass, country to metal, and of course school concerts. I'm bouncing between the idea of a preamp, a pair of cards (CA-14), or getting hit upside the head by my wife for spending too much money as is. I know chris is running some great sales until the end of the month, so it's something to consider.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
I have a Church Pre - CA9100. I'm very happy with it...but I run a rockboxed iRiver...it doesn't have (much) of a mic preamp section...nowhere near that of the Sony if I was to guess...that said I did distort/overdrive the old Sony D8 mic Preamp with some lower sensitivity Nak Microphones back in the day...

Advantages:
Replaces Batterybox
Extra gain in low volume settings (acoustic music)
I feel that Chris uses better components in his Pre vs what goes into a $200 all in one...so better sound

Disadvantages:
Teh Wife's happiness...or lack of
Money spent on better microphones is usually better spent there than what comes behind it in the chain....

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
"Money spent on better microphones is usually better spent there than what comes behind it in the chain...."

really?- you think so? Would you always budget for the highest quality Mic affordable...?

And then spend less on the gear...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
"Money spent on better microphones is usually better spent there than what comes behind it in the chain...."

really?- you think so? Would you always budget for the highest quality Mic affordable...?

And then spend less on the gear...?

JimP
Yeah I wouldn't agree with that completely either. Good mics and a decent preamp can sound amazing, but great mics and a shitty preamp can sound pretty bad.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com