Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best quality/price relation for a 4+ channel recorder?  (Read 7022 times)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Best quality/price relation for a 4+ channel recorder?
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »
Hi, you wise people!

Most of the hand-held recorders that go off under 500$ (Tascam DR-40/100, Zoom H4N, etc) just offer the option to record from one external source AND the internal mics. I'd like to know if there's any hand-held recorder that can record from TWO (or more, obviously) external sources, for example two pairs of external mics, or a pair of mics+a stereo line-in feed, etc.
XLR connectors are not mandatory, since the feeds I'd like to run on the recorder would be most-probably 1/8 or 1/4 plugs. Pricing would not be an inconvenient, but size would (I know there are great multitrack recorders out there like the Tascam DR680 or the Roland R44, but they're well over 15x15 cms / 6x6 inches - pretty unconvenient for ste*lth recording if you ask me).

Do you have any ideas for the best priced recorder that can do that?

Thank you :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Best quality/price relation for a 4+ channel recorder?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
Tascam DR-2D will accept two external Mini stereo inputs....one is Line one is Microphone but folks have been known to run SNB into the microphone input to have level control on the signal and use an external Pre into the line input so both signal can be adjusted for signal strength

Cheap on eBay $110 shipped...I have been told that the build feels cheap...look around for some reviews on TS

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
I LOVDE my DR2D. Havent used it for a show yet, but I ran EXTENSIVE battery runtimes with mine and its been rock solid. I can easily get 4.5>5 hours per NIMH AA's :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »
Great. Thank you both very much :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
The Roland R-26 can record 3 stereo pairs, and offers a big step up in preamp quality compared to the Tascam 2D or D40.  The R-26 is a large recorder, with a considerably higher price. But if you care about the quality of your recording, you should consider it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
The Roland R-26 can record 3 stereo pairs, and offers a big step up in preamp quality compared to the Tascam 2D or D40.  The R-26 is a large recorder, with a considerably higher price. But if you care about the quality of your recording, you should consider it.

That may be a significant difference if you need other features of the R-26 or significant onboard preamp gain, but even in that situation you can make incredible recordings with the DR2d simply by using an external preamp or mics with enough sensitivity so that they don't need much additional gain.

I care about the quality of my recordings and completely blew the mind of a friend over the weekend leaving him speechless by playing him a 4-channel surround symphonic recording at near live performance level which I made last year with two external preamps and a DR2d.  It's quite possibly one of the best recordings I've ever made.

It's all about knowing the tools and how to use them.  Although not many here have used the R-26 yet, it may turn out to be a great recorder.  However, the DR2d is the best fit I know of to meet all of LikeASong's stated requirements.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
I agree with Gut.  I've made a couple 4ch recordings I thought came out very well using the DR2d and an external Lunatec V3 and an external Naiant littlebox preamp.

I find the DR2d preamps to sound a lot like the preamps of the DR680 which I used to own.  And I got the DR680 after doing some controlled comps of the DR680 to an Oade modded R44 (which I used to own).  I found the sound of the Tascam preamps more to my taste than the Oade modded R44 preamps.  Different strokes for different folks.

I'm curious why you think the R26 preamps are a big step up from the DR2d's preamps, Flint. ???  Did you own/use both recorders and do any controlled comps, or is this based on specs or something?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline NYLifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a taper, I tape things
    • My recordings on Archive
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »
I have a similar but different question.

I'm looking for a recorder with xlr-1/4" inch in AND coax in. Does such a thing exist under $500? Should I just buy a 2nd m-Audio Microtrack II and xlr to 1/4" adapters?

Thanks,

Bob
Open:     Sennheiser 441s > Zoom H4N
Stealth:   DPA 4060s > m-Audio Microtrack II
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22NYLifer%22

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:57 AM »
I'm looking for a recorder with xlr-1/4" inch in AND coax in. Does such a thing exist under $500? Should I just buy a 2nd m-Audio Microtrack II and xlr to 1/4" adapters?

You, me and the rest of the board!  The R-44 is the smallest recorder that I can think of but it's not in the "under $500 range".
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »

Thanks,

Bob

The new Tascam DR-100mkII has both those inputs and fits in that price range.  It's only 2 channels though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline NYLifer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a taper, I tape things
    • My recordings on Archive
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »

Thanks,

Bob

The new Tascam DR-100mkII has both those inputs and fits in that price range.  It's only 2 channels though.

Very close to what I am looking for, BUT...
1. The DR-100mkII has true xlr inputs, I would prefer xlr-1/4" combo inputs because the SBM-1 is not 100% reliable and sometimes drops a channel.
2. The digital in on the DR-100mkII requires a special cable.

So, retaining the xlr-1/4" combo and digital (coax) in requirements. What's the lowest cost entry there? for 2 channels?

If I wanted to step up to 4 or more channels, what's the lowest entry point for that situation?

Thank you,

Bob

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:19:10 AM by NYLifer »
Open:     Sennheiser 441s > Zoom H4N
Stealth:   DPA 4060s > m-Audio Microtrack II
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22NYLifer%22

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
The issues you mention don't seem a huge hurdle if lowest cost is key. The special SPDIF cable is a micro-mini TRS 2.5mm TRRS > RCA female (which I think comes with the recorder, but not sure if it does or not).  You could make yourself or have Ted (tgakidis) make you some nice, short 1/4" TRS > XLR adapter cables, and probably the digital cable too for not much additional expense.

You may find a Marantz 661 for $500 which has the inputs you want built-in and does 2 channel.
Roland R-44 and Tascam DR-680 have the inputs you want built-in and do 4 channels (or more) but are over your budget.

[edit- current discussion comparing the Marantz and Tascam- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152321.msg1937072#msg1937072]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:42:27 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
"why you think the R26 preamps are a big step up from the DR2d's preamps..."

I've had both in for testing.  The R26 is much quieter.  I sent it back because I've already got a good large recorder.

I'm sure the DR2d sounds better when fronted by a V3.  I think the original poster was asking about a multi-channel recorder with mics connected directly to it, not through expensive external preamps.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Cool, thanks!

Nice to be able to get your hands on and actually play with different gear. It's cool to listen to different stuff on the Archive, but I have a hard time making judgments on things like preamps and recorders by listening there.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
The special SPDIF cable is simply a miro-mini TRS > RCA female (which I think comes with the recorder, but not sure if it does or not).

The SPDIF cable does come with the Tascam DR100mkii, but the plug is TRRS, not TRS.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the correction.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:06 AM »
Here's another indication of how quiet the R-26 XLR preamp is, compared to other multitrack models

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
Preamp Equivalent input noise (EIN), unweighted
Tascam DR-680  -125 dBu
Marantz PMD-661  -124 dBu
Roland R-26 XLR  -122 dBu  <------
Tascam DR-100 MkII  -117 dBu
Tascam DR-100 -111 dBu
Tascam DR-2d -106 dBu
Tascam DR-40 -104 dBu

Avisost measured the EIN of the 3.5mm mic input to be -115 dBu, so the XLR input is considerably quieter.
The DR-100 MkII is a lot quieter than the original DR-100.

None of this matters if your mics have a relatively high self noise, or if you're recording in a loud and noisy setting.

Flintstone
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:08:39 AM by flintstone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com