Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on buying a used R44?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Ekko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Advice on buying a used R44?
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
Hi

I'm in the UK and have the opportunity to buy a used R44 from a private seller. The machine is described as being about 18 months old and in excellent working order.

Are these machines generally pretty reliable? And if something did go wrong with it, would I be able to get it fixed at reasonable cost in the UK?

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Advice on buying a used R44?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
No problems with mine for the 2 years I have had it.  Solid recorder.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
Hi

I'm in the UK and have the opportunity to buy a used R44 from a private seller. The machine is described as being about 18 months old and in excellent working order.

Are these machines generally pretty reliable? And if something did go wrong with it, would I be able to get it fixed at reasonable cost in the UK?

I think the first answer is yes and the second is probably no.  You can check Roland's page as to where the nearest repair center is to you. But based on needing my R-09HR's screen fixed and what they quoted, fixing the deck may well not be worth it.

The R-44 is rock solid, though.  Assuming it has been used properly and works when you get it, it should keep working for a long time.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Ekko

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
In this post cybergaloot says his R-44 fell about three feet and it did fine. :)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
There have been a few users who lost the ability to externally power their R44's for one reason or another. 

One thing to be aware of if you plan to power it with an external battery is that R44 uses (center-neg.) and (sleeve-pos.) which is reverse polarity from most devices.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
One thing to be aware of if you plan to power it with an external battery is that R44 uses (center-neg.) and (sleeve-pos.) which is reverse polarity from most devices.

Definitely something to keep in mind as hooking it up to a power source with "correct" polarity can blow the tiny non-user-replaceable fuse on the circuit board. 

Aside from that little twist, I personally can't recommend the R-44 enough.  I've used mine pretty much constantly for well over 4 years, run it off external power sources and internal batteries, and have never had a single issue with it except ones caused by me.  A reliable, great-sounding deck that I wouldn't hesitate purchasing another one of if I needed to.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
I've had one since they hit the market and it's never failed. Dropped it several feet once, too and the body was barely scuffed.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »

This is very important!  I built a custom power cable with the correct polarity to run mine on an external battery supply and that cable stays permanently attached to the machine so I can't accidentally mix it up with similar cables used to power my other gear using the same pool of external batteries, all of which use 'standard' center-pos. polarity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:04:56 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ekko

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
Thanks for your replies!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
Buy it with a taper friend, and then buy him out a few months later.......share it in the mail, until either of you wants to buy the other one out.  It's kind of like "taper lay-away", but with another taper that is cool.

8)

Thanks Waltisb62

8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I need a quick answer. How long will the r44 record on internal AA's I forgot my power cable & am stuck running internals. Regular Duracell AA's

Haven't ran internals since I bought it years ago.

& the R44 is as solid as they come. Haven't had any trouble with mine...

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
I need a quick answer. How long will the r44 record on internal AA's I forgot my power cable & am stuck running internals. Regular Duracell AA's

Haven't ran internals since I bought it years ago.

& the R44 is as solid as they come. Haven't had any trouble with mine...

My personal experience.  YMMV. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153957.msg2001195#msg2001195

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com