Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 96kHz recording with JB3  (Read 10752 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: 96kHz recording with JB3
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 11:04:03 PM »
What would it take to record @ 24bit with a jb3?

Can't be done.

what is the reason for this...is it firmware that wont allow it?  or is it a hardware issue??
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 12:37:10 PM »
I thought that sample rate has nothing to do with the frequency response of your mics... Meaning, it can be compared to frame rate when making a video - higher frame rates mean that more data is 'captured'.

this has me cornfuzed... ???

in your analogy, the frame rate would be comparable to bit-rate in audio, not sample size

Thought bit rate is the amount of data captured and sample size is how many times per second its captured.... I know that higher can be considered 'better' but I'm still not clear on all of this. I thought I was, but apparently not.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »
Thought bit rate is the amount of data captured and sample size is how many times per second its captured....

this is correct.

continuing with the video analogy, think of audio samples as the screen size.
an example(my video knowledge is sorely lacking in details):
(video)24FPS@640x480 == 16/44.1(audio)
(video)29FPS@1024x768 == 24/96(audio)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 01:35:57 PM »
Thought bit rate is the amount of data captured and sample size is how many times per second its captured....

this is correct.

So is 16/48 the same as 800x600 or 640x480 with less screen flicker?   (Needless to say, I'm still lost)
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 02:12:06 PM »

this is correct.

So is 16/48 the same as 800x600 or 640x480 with less screen flicker?   (Needless to say, I'm still lost)
Matt

staying with the analogy, I would say that 24FPS@800x600 == 16/48
remember, this is just an expression, the really do not correlate at all

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mirth

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 02:33:37 PM »
how would a faster sample rate then allow for higher frequencies to be captured? wouldn't that be more the domain of increased bit depth and the larger dynamic range it provides?

or is it because you're taking more samples per second that the possibilities exist for capturing fleeting high frequencies?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »
how would a faster sample rate then allow for higher frequencies to be captured? wouldn't that be more the domain of increased bit depth and the larger dynamic range it provides?

As Bri posted earlier, the Nyquist theorem of digital recording says that the highest freq we can record is 1/2 of the sample rate.   So at 48KHz the highest freq we can record is 24KHz.

Just to remember. in digital recording

bit depth => dynamic range (theoretical of 6dB/bit)
sampling freq => frequency response. (Nyquist)

or is it because you're taking more samples per second that the possibilities exist for capturing fleeting high frequencies?

basically, yep!

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline mirth

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »
eeeeeeeeinteresting... Thanks Ben

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 12:33:49 AM »

Ever seen a video of a forward moving car with the wheels spinning backwards?

Think of it this way. You have a nice clean 48 kHz sinusoidal coming towards you with tops and crests. Like waves in the ocean. 
And you have a 48 kHz sampler. The sampler takes snapshots (16 or 24 bit) of the wave and hits say the top every time.
The sampler sees no wave. It outputs DC!

To see the 48 kHz you have to sample fast enough to see the crest in between. If you increase the rate to 49 kHz you see a slowly varying wave. At 95 kHz you see a fast varying wave.  And finally, at 96 kHz (and over), you see the full 48 kHz.

Offline mirth

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 06:47:10 PM »
+t, I get it now.

Thanks Jon (that's the J in JK, right?)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 07:07:27 PM »
this thread just made my head hurt a bit.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »

I was thinking the same thing
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 08:53:35 PM »

I was thinking the same thing
yeah... ouch
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mirth

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2005, 01:32:13 AM »
Mine too, but at least now I have a better understanding why folks want to record at 96Khz & beyond.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »
Once your heads stop hurting...take that example (sample rate=96k, wheel spinning at 48k) and contemplate what you would see if the wheel sped up to 49 kHz.

It would appear to move slowly, an illusion known as aliasing!  On playback we would be creating something that wasn't there - a by product of our sampling rate.  This is the reason for 'brickwall' filters that don't let any frequencies beyond 1/2 the sampling rate into the ADC - to avoid aliasing.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com