Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A question for tapers (RE: MiniDisc)  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Cruzweb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
A question for tapers (RE: MiniDisc)
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:53:34 PM »
So I've been looking into what I'll need if I wanted to start taping, as I don't have tons of cash to blow on a DAT recorder it looks like MiniDisc is the best option. The 2 I've been looking at are the Sony MZ N10 and the Sharp MD-MT280S.

My problem is that I don't know anybody who uses these or can tell me anything about how well they work for taping. Do I need an external power source for my mics if I get one of these? How important is having a lighted display?

As you can see I'm pretty new to this, so any and all help is appreciated. If you have any MD recorder reccomendations please throw them my way too, I don't want to spend more than $200 on this though.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: A question for tapers (RE: MiniDisc)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:59:35 PM »
I'm sure others will do this as well, but for the same price and less than $200 you can get the JB3. Much better option in my opinion.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:03:17 PM »
i USED to use a MiniDisc recorder. Now I have a JB3. Not only would I never go back to MiniDisc (due to the 80 minute limit and compressed sound) I am going to buy ANOTHER JB3, so I can record board feeds with it.

Get a JB3, and you will be happy.

The only downside is it DOES NOT provide mic power so you will need a battery box if you want to record mic in.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Cruzweb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:08:56 PM »
yeah, this would be all mic in stuff. I don't plan on using it as a music player, primarily for recording. Someone also reccomended to me the SP-CMC-8 mics (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/120/mics), they come with some different power options from basic battery pack to phantom power pack, what would be the best option for small venue shows that wouldn't require more than a few hours worth of time (maybe 3 or 4 at the most, i'm not going to be camping out at bonaroo or anything).

Offline tomluvsgiants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »

I'll go ahead & echo what others have said here and DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME buying a MD recorder.....just GET THE NOMAD JB3 and all will be well.  No slam against MD folks, that IS how I got my start via "inheriting" a SONY MZ 710 that a musician friend realized he was NOT using in his studio. But you gotta buy tapes, switch tapes, label tapes, and did we mention that the tapes only record 80 minutes at a time?? UGG!  ;-)

The JB3 is a beaut, records 3 hours at a time--with plenty more space available (in 3 hour blocks). AND I've been taking my old MD tapes & remastering them (wrong term likely, apologies) via the JB3 rather than the soundcard......and even after I bought a new soundcard, running the MD tapes to WAV via the JB3 sounds worlds better for certain.

I also bought the SPCM-8 mics and the SPBM-6 battery pack and COULDN'T BE HAPPIER with the results. REALLY!

In fact I've got a Drive By Truckers torrent up & running at dimeadozen.org if you are curious to hear how the SPCM-8 > SPBM-6 > JB3 worked out with a micstand from the back of the Fillmore. (pretty decent, though it was my first experience with a mic stand so I'm SURE that I made mistakes---not having enough cord from the mics to fully extend the stand immediately comes to mind-DOH!)

heres da link---->  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=38635

Later in the week I'm going to put up a James McMurtry gig I stealth-recorded with the same setup. I used a Case Logic-CD player case to hold the JB3, which has slot for your belt to loop through to secure it. I just tied a long sleeve shirt around my midsection and walked into the club. The recording has much more presence....20-25 feet back, sweet sounding spot & the SPCM-8 placed in a visor about 6'5" off the ground on top of me big old head. COMPLETELY STEALTH (aside from getting 'busted' by the artist himself in the mens room between sets, but thats another story alltogether---no harm, no foul, I think he though I was doing dope off a cd player....sigh) but this sounds great and can give you an indication of how your life can be enhanced via the Nomad JB3. I'll put the link to the McMurtry in a few days when it goes up.

One Question of my own-------> WHY THE HELL did Creative stop making these? Cost prohibitive I guess? Seems like they could sell refurbs all day long to me.....just curious.

anyways good luck & have fun---this is like my 2nd or 3rd message--only cause I never NEED to post, all the answers are already here from all the Taping Elders who do such a great job & blaze a path for us newbies.

Step One: Steal Election       Step Two: Steal Everything Else

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything." - Joseph Stalin

www.crisispapers.org            www.whatreallyhappened.com

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »
even if you dont use it as a music player, it is still a better value in functionality, no media to worry about, and just better suited to taping.
Last year when I started, I was initially gonna get a MD< but so glad I didnt. Seems to me not as good a value as jb3. I bought a jb3 , abnd havent turned back. I know own 3 of em.

Ray

Offline Cruzweb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
Thanks for the link tom, i'll check it out.

And I dig that I'll need the ext batt pack, not a problem. Should I bother with anything like the bass roll off or phantom power?

Offline tomluvsgiants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 06:03:37 AM »

And I dig that I'll need the ext batt pack, not a problem. Should I bother with anything like the bass roll off or phantom power?

I *did* pick up the bass roll off option when I snagged the SPBM-6, and it seems to work fine. I think it is more neccesary for those who plan on recording uber-loud rock shows with tons of throbbing bass---which really ain't my bag---- so all I can really report on is using the first 3 settings-- and to my ear the recordings came out fine, I didn't "oops--" erase the bass and there was certainly no bass distorting either. FWIW, I've heard that its near impossible to ruin a recording with too-high a setting on the bass roll option, so YMMV-but I thought for an extra $20 it wasn't a bad move. After all, one never knows when Motorhead may be playing down the street at yer local pub-and you'd be hatin' if you pulled a distorted recording, right?

You may want to cruise the archives for more information re:phantom power, I know it increases the range of the mics....but since I was pushing my funds to the limit anyways, I passed. Seems like most of the jedi-knight tapers DO utilize phantom power, so if you're able to swing it...I imagine it would be a good move. Just be sure to get the option of phantom power OR battery power cause if you're stealthing a gig you may want the battery route, unless you have a super-stealthy power supply---to fit in yer pants along with everything else.

Can I assume that we've talked you OUT of the MD route at this point??   ;D   Seriously with the JB3 you can't go wrong and I know that I spent more on those damn MDiscs than the 2 players I had, many times over.

I'm finishing up the McMurtry recording now & will post the link on this thread when it's up & running.

Good Luck & keep us posted! Who's yer first 'target'??   ;D

and if you DO end up doin some buisiness at Sound Professionals, remember that taperssection.com members get a 10% discount I believe!  ;)

tom b

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything." - Joseph Stalin

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 04:47:44 PM »
and if you DO end up doin some buisiness at Sound Professionals, remember that taperssection.com members get a 10% discount I believe! ;)

10% off anything with an item #  starting with SP- (like the SP-SPSB-6, for example).
Just type "taperssection" in the coupon/discount space on the order page
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline guru56

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 05:05:39 PM »
I'm in the minority here but I would go for the new Hi-MD.  I have one of these and have recorded some great things with it.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 11:02:27 PM »
I'm in the minority here but I would go for the new Hi-MD. I have one of these and have recorded some great things with it.

I'm with you.  I have a Sony MZ-NH1, & I'm happy with it.  Records in Linear PCM (as well as compressed), transfer to PC via USB, has a few things I don't like, but overall I like it.

Funny enough, considering the number of JB3 supporters/users here, it was actually TS.com that convinced me not to get one.  Check out the number of threads dealing with JB3 problems/issues.  It has lots of good points, but the fact that it's no longer being made & the number of problems I've seen discussed led me to the Hi-MD.

But listen, read, research, & learn, & then make your own choice based on what you want/need.
You're the one who has to use it, the rest of us just give our opinion.

Opinions are like assh0les, evreybody's got one, & they all stink. ;)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 11:47:14 PM »
I too have a HIMD and I love it.  So far ive taped about 6 shows with it and its worlds better then my old MD.  Im not constrained by battery life...AAs are readly available at every store..anywhere.  JB3 has no removeable media.  That, to me, was the main selling point on the HIMD vs any HD recorder.  I dont mind the extra cost of discs.  I like being able to pop out the disc and stick it on the shelf for later.

I have a Sony MZ-RH10...OLED dispay is quite possibly the greatest thing ever!  no more getting my cell phone out to see if the levels are good and if the recording is going smoothly.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:50:17 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 04:16:46 PM »
I am selling my MD gear check out the yard sale area!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline tomluvsgiants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 08:05:46 AM »
here's the link to the James McMurtry recording referenced earlier in this thread:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=39434

;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com