Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A/D board replacement for some early 722/744Ts  (Read 12083 times)

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
A/D board replacement for some early 722/744Ts
« on: August 10, 2005, 05:19:43 PM »
in case you haven't seen the post on the SD support forum yet -

http://www.sounddevicessupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=344

Steve

Ray76

Re: A/D board replacement for some early 722/744Ts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:33:35 PM »

Steve
mind helping the ones who are not regg'd on there and paste what they are saying?

Sound Devices has determined that the analog-to-digital converter circuit board in 722 an 744T units identified below has the potential to intermittently fail. The failure condition manifests as "popping" noise or digital hash when using analog inputs. This is not a problem which gets worse over time, and it happens rather infrequently and does not happen on all units. Typically, a power cycle will clear the condition. The converters are most prone to the failure at 96 kHz sampling rates. The problem can occur at other sampling rates with less frequency. Sound Devices has seen only a handful of failures, but we will exchange ALL suspect A/D boards as a preventative measure.

Affected Units:

722: Serial numbers 470499999999 and lower which do NOT have a "v14", "v15", or "v16" sticker directly below the serial number sticker on the back panel. The "v14", etc. stickers indicate the sub-revision of the unit.
744T: Serial numbers 460499999999 and lower which do NOT have a "v14", "v15", or "v16" sticker directly below the serial number sticker on the back panel.

There are two options to resolve this issue:

1. We can send you a new A/D board and replacement instructions if you are comfortable replacing it. It involves removing the top and bottom cover, snapping the new board on, then replacing the covers.
2. You can send us your unit and we will do the board replacement here at the factory.

Please contact Sound Devices via phone or enter a case directly on our web site at www.sounddevices.com/contact_support.htm . Select "A/D Board Exchange" as the type. Sound Devices will contact you and send a replacement A/D board in the mail at no charge.

The new boards have identical frequency response, gain, etc. as the old ones. The only change is more robust digital communication from the A/D board to the DSP. The new, replacement boards are identical to what is being shipped in brand new units.

Thank you for purchasing Sound Devices products, and for your cooperation with this

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:55:54 PM »

Steve
mind helping the ones who are not regg'd on there and paste what they are saying?

Sound Devices has determined that the analog-to-digital converter circuit board in 722 an 744T units identified below has the potential to intermittently fail. The failure condition manifests as "popping" noise or digital hash when using analog inputs. This is not a problem which gets worse over time, and it happens rather infrequently and does not happen on all units. Typically, a power cycle will clear the condition. The converters are most prone to the failure at 96 kHz sampling rates. The problem can occur at other sampling rates with less frequency. Sound Devices has seen only a handful of failures, but we will exchange ALL suspect A/D boards as a preventative measure.

Affected Units:

722: Serial numbers 470499999999 and lower which do NOT have a "v14", "v15", or "v16" sticker directly below the serial number sticker on the back panel. The "v14", etc. stickers indicate the sub-revision of the unit.
744T: Serial numbers 460499999999 and lower which do NOT have a "v14", "v15", or "v16" sticker directly below the serial number sticker on the back panel.

There are two options to resolve this issue:

1. We can send you a new A/D board and replacement instructions if you are comfortable replacing it. It involves removing the top and bottom cover, snapping the new board on, then replacing the covers.
2. You can send us your unit and we will do the board replacement here at the factory.

Please contact Sound Devices via phone or enter a case directly on our web site at www.sounddevices.com/contact_support.htm . Select "A/D Board Exchange" as the type. Sound Devices will contact you and send a replacement A/D board in the mail at no charge.

The new boards have identical frequency response, gain, etc. as the old ones. The only change is more robust digital communication from the A/D board to the DSP. The new, replacement boards are identical to what is being shipped in brand new units.

Thank you for purchasing Sound Devices products, and for your cooperation with this
thanks
no prob man.

requested mine today.
mine fell in that sector.

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:17:44 PM »
quick response time from SD - I posted mine about 1:45 PM PST, and got a call from SD a little over an hour later, replacement will go out tomorrow.

Steve

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
sounds like it's a pretty easy fix though, that's good :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:28:36 PM »
sounds like it's a pretty easy fix though, that's good :)

yep, sounds sorta like snapping a pci card in from the description on the phone with the support guy.
think ill sell the defective one on ebay :P
Tim, got the package today BTW, pure gold.

+T

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:31:43 PM »
awesome! enjoy...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 06:34:47 PM »
I will. I had no idea those mics were so tiny.

luckily though there isnt much in the way of "secular" music that i enjoy here, Europe is a veritable mecca for all things classical music.

its a way of life here.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »
i'm in for this too i guess

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »
i'm in for this too i guess

I thought mine would be out of the kill  zone being that i just got it last week or so.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:08:26 PM »
Ditto for me. Nick, didn't you do this? If it's as easy as a PCI card thing, I'll do it myself too.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »
Ditto for me. Nick, didn't you do this? If it's as easy as a PCI card thing, I'll do it myself too.

yup, simple as can be...hardest part is to get the case to line up on the nothches so to speak when you put it back to gether...but it basically plugs right into the top of the unit...breeze to do

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 12:17:56 AM »
looks like I am in it too.
was pretty easy to take it apart so I will try it myself, if not they are only 45 minutes away
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

marc0789

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 11:09:49 AM »
slam away if you want, but the early returns seem to be consistent with SD history. Products with issues, but excellent customer service to address them as they come up. The Saturn of HD devices. ;)

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
slam away if you want, but the early returns seem to be consistent with SD history. Products with issues, but excellent customer service to address them as they come up. The Saturn of HD devices. ;)

i have had no problems.

ill save you some money, just buy the 722 without the a/d and you can use my panel. :P

Offline Brian

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »
should i mention again that i have never had any problems with mine and absolutely love it?

marc, who are you....Bean jr. now ???  ;)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 08:54:39 PM »

holy crap - they're already on revision 16 ???!!!  If I were an owner I'd want to know what all those revisions were, or at least what revision was the first publicly released one.  That seems like quite a bit of afterthought for a relatively new device.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Ray76

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 07:03:59 PM »

holy crap - they're already on revision 16 ???!!!  If I were an owner I'd want to know what all those revisions were, or at least what revision was the first publicly released one.  That seems like quite a bit of afterthought for a relatively new device.

it doesnt matter to me what the revisions were particularly. as long as it does what it says its going to do and customer service is outstanding(and it is, btw) revisions dont mean much to me. course im not tech savvy and the revisions wouldnt make sense to me anyhow.. :P

marc0789

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »
The SD 722 will be heretofore renamed the.....Sound Devices MP-3. ;D ;)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »

Hardware revisions can be meaningless to the customer.  Sometimes they indicate a change in part count or reposition of a mounting hole.  Strict CM processes will reflect every tiny little change.  Also, you'd have to know the initial fielded revision to make sense of the number of changes.   I've never seen anyone ship hardware that was truely a first minor revision.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Ray76

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:42 AM »

Ah , just get a microtracker. er jb4 :P

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
[Hardware revisions can be meaningless to the customer.  Sometimes they indicate a change in part count or reposition of a mounting hole.  Strict CM processes will reflect every tiny little change.  Also, you'd have to know the initial fielded revision to make sense of the number of changes. 

Thanks for the insight!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:47 PM »

:lol:

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »
I got the board and replacement documentation today. I'll let you know how the replacement process goes.

Ray76

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 07:47:04 PM »
I got the board and replacement documentation today. I'll let you know how the replacement process goes.

That would be extremely helpful Matt, thanks.

The thought of it is intimidating me.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
Replacement = easy ... but how the fuck do you get the tabs on the unit to line up with the slots and get the cover back on? Any tips from those who've done it? Please share!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 08:35:03 PM »
Replacement = easy ... but how the fuck do you get the tabs on the unit to line up with the slots and get the cover back on? Any tips from those who've done it? Please share!

trial and error...takes a fair amount of time getting it lined up and once you do, it locks in tightly...

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 09:21:07 PM »
I finally got it. It required me to kneel on the damn thing to keep the tabs in place once I got them aligned. It took more force than I thought it would, but the top and bottom covers are strong enough to put that kind of pressure on them.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 10:35:43 PM »
i just switched mine.  board replacement was easy.  like matt said, putting the case back together not so much...

but hey, gotta love that you can stand on the unit to put it back together and not worry it'll break :)

Ray76

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 07:26:55 AM »
I dont have a VER sticker. I got mine about the same time you did Freelunch..

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 09:14:03 AM »
They sent me a v14 sticker for the back of the machine after I did the board swap.

Ray76

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »
I just spoke with Justin again.. Here's the scoop.

He thinks my 722 should be fine and that it just didn't get a Vxx sticker on the back. Of course I must be certain.

From my notes, this modification was put into production on July 15.  Any A/D boards already manufactured were modified. When that occurs, a version sticker is put on the board.  Those boards then get assembled into units.  It seems that some 722's did not get the sticker on the back.

So it was suggested I open up my 722 and look for the sticker on the A/D board to make sure.  He sent some directions.. It wasn't too bad but one of my battery bulkhead screws didn't line up and I had to do some minor tweaking.  I have both the 14 and 15 stickers internally so I'm all set.  He said the 15 and 16 mods were nothing that would impact performance.

Ray, yours is probably okay. I'd give him a call to check your mfg date. Mine was built on 7/22.

Now, back to my crazy Schoeps active project...

Thanks Hoss.

Good man.+T

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2005, 01:12:44 PM »
Well that was easy... Didn't even have troubles getting the bottom and top on.
Retired Taper

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 08:27:20 PM »
Well that was easy... Didn't even have troubles getting the bottom and top on.

no issues here either.

I don't think i needed the replacement though since there was already a 14 sticker on my AD board.  Oh well it only took 5 minutes.

What are the extra screws for?  I'm sending mine back but i guess folks were loosing them.  ???
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline scb

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 08:44:11 PM »
keep the screws.  you never know when you'll open it up again and lose one.  that's what they send them for :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »
just did it...hell it was easier this time than before...try to doing this without instructions like I had to the first time :P

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 08:30:35 PM »
Way to go Sound Devices...  Got mine this afternoon... nice instrucitons, pre-paid return envelope for old A/D...  Simple!

Got to tape now..

CQbert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Ray76

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:35 PM »
with the way military mail goes..ill have mine in about a month.

BobW

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 10:30:42 PM »
What are you guys doing with old A/D boards ? 

Ray76

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2005, 06:53:10 AM »
What are you guys doing with old A/D boards ? 

youre supposed to return em. they send an envelope to return it.

Im going to keep mine. if its possible..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:36:21 AM by BigRay »

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2005, 07:33:00 AM »
Sent it back...
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 66 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com