Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ? for R1 users...  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
? for R1 users...
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »
I'm most likely incorrect, but I've been considering picking up an Edirol  R1, and was under the impression that to actually create a true DVD-A the sample rate has to be 48kHz minimum. Is that correct? Will 24/44.1 work?

Also, and I know this is answered multiple places but I'm just too lazy to look, how does the R1 handle the 2GB issue? Does it create a new file seamlessly like the R4, or does it just stop recording like the Microtrack?

Any help would be great...

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: ? for R1 users...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:11:28 PM »
I'm most likely incorrect, but I've been considering picking up an Edirol  R1, and was under the impression that to actually create a true DVD-A the sample rate has to be 48kHz minimum. Is that correct? Will 24/44.1 work?

Also, and I know this is answered multiple places but I'm just too lazy to look, how does the R1 handle the 2GB issue? Does it create a new file seamlessly like the R4, or does it just stop recording like the Microtrack?

This is exactly what I do.  Record at 24/44.1 on the R-1, track in cdwav, and create a dvd-a using wavelab.  Works like a charm.  As for the 2GB problem, honestly I don't know the answer as I never record for that long.   My hunch is that you have to manually restart it - gewwang knows for sure though.  It might just be a couple quick button hits or something like that.

I really like the R-1, but my interest is very piqued in the R-09.  I'm interested in recording at 24/48 and buring audio dvds using that audio dvd creator program.  Those disks can be played in many more players.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:16:00 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I'm interested in recording at 24/48 and buring audio dvds using that audio dvd creator program.  Those disks can be played in many more players.

I primarily use Audio DVD Creator, and with that program 48k is a must, leading me to think that was the standard for DVD-A.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I'm interested in recording at 24/48 and buring audio dvds using that audio dvd creator program.  Those disks can be played in many more players.

I primarily use Audio DVD Creator, and with that program 48k is a must, leading me to think that was the standard for DVD-A.

Im under the impression that it automatically upsamples to 48 from 44.1 - which I think it must do as it is advertised as a way to store all of your cds... why do you want to change from those discs to DVD-As?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:34:26 PM »
Just wondering - how often do you record for more than 2hrs and 10mins straight?  I record mainly local bands and metal bands, so on average, I probably record for about 80minutes straight for a long set.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:02:43 PM »

if you've got a 4 GB CF card, then the R-1 will record for 2 hours 12 minutes, then stop (and the file is saved properly). unfortunately, there's no auto-split function, so you have to manually stop the recording and start it again.

as gewwang has said before here on TS, the process of manually starting a new file (to side-step the 2 GB limit) is as follows:

- turn off the Hold switch (assuming you have it engaged)
- hit the Stop button
- hit the Record button twice
- turn on the Hold switch

as for the 44.1 kHz issue, i'm pretty sure that sample rate *IS* included in the DVD-A specifications, not to be confused with DVD-V (which is what Audio DVD Creator actually creates, and thus, has wider DVD player compatibility). so basically, YES, you can make DVD-A discs of 24/44.1 files without any upsampling; but for a DVD-V disc, the sample rate has to be 48 kHz (or it can be 32 kHz, if i recall correctly, but who'd want to step down to 32 kHz).

Offline Yorick

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:32:15 AM »
A little more on the lack of auto-split thing.  Starting a new file is pretty quick, if you have to.  In “lab” conditions on your desk, it takes about 3-4 seconds if you’re not using the hold switch, and about 5-6 seconds if you are (pretty much as fast as you can press the buttons).  Longer in the field, especially if you’re stealthing.

It’s really too bad Edirol didn’t implement the auto-split feature, because then Microtrack would have had to follow suit and by now we’d all have it.   :)

Lol.  I think we should have the Taper Olympics.  I hereby claim the unofficial World Record for changing the batteries on my R-1, of  8.57 seconds, which includes replacing the cover and starting and stopping my own stopwatch.  :)

For biographical purposes, that took about 10 tries, it was a clear and sunny day, and coincidentally, it just happened to be a drug-free performance – I don’t know if I get extra points for that or points taken away. :)  Sponsors are requested to kindly contact my agent at IMG. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com