Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: News: Sony Hi-MD, dig-in w/o restrictions  (Read 3497 times)

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
News: Sony Hi-MD, dig-in w/o restrictions
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »
Just got this by email, maybe SONY is getting their head out of their arse?  Finally you can record optical in and get the .wav off the recorder without hassles, Todd

Good day. Sony has released a new version of Sonicstage, version 3.4, with excellent improvements to the Hi-MD format. Some of the new features include:

# Tracks can be transferred in ATRAC 192kbps to a Hi-MD device.
# Tracks recorded with a Hi-MD device with the digital/analogue inputs or microphone input can be uploaded to SonicStage and saved in WAV (PCM) format. (e.g. burn a Hi-MD disc, send to a friend and they can upload all contents to their computer without DRM woes; record via optical, no BS upload restriciton!) # Audio CD’s can be ripped in ATRAC 352kbps.
# CD information can be displayed from the tracks in My Library.
# WAV files can be converted into ATRAC Advanced Lossless format.
# ATRAC format files (including ATRAC Advanced Lossless) can be converted into WAV format.
# Song lyrics can be displayed when clicking the “Lyrics” button (only if the lyrics are encoded with the track).

The community is elated to learn that now digital and analog uploads are allowed freely. All users are encouraged to upgrade and download links along with further information + discussion can be found here:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
Re: News: Sony Hi-MD, dig-in w/o restrictions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
Does it still limit you to being able to upload to only one computer throughout the life of the Hi-MD disc?

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »
Does it still limit you to being able to upload to only one computer throughout the life of the Hi-MD disc?

No clue, never heard that one.  Sounds like sony though. 

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:22:14 PM »
I can find no limits whatsoever, and was recently able to upload PCM HiMD copies of CDs made on another computer.  On the box, Sony even encourages you to share copies of commercial CDs with your friends.  Go figure... 

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »
I can find no limits whatsoever, and was recently able to upload PCM HiMD copies of CDs made on another computer.  On the box, Sony even encourages you to share copies of commercial CDs with your friends.  Go figure... 

Weird.... maybe we should check their basement for pods......

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »

Nope, they changed that 2 versions ago ( i believe ).  Its pretty nice since there is no worries about something going wrong and attempting to reupload it only to have it delete your recording w/o warning! 

Ive stopped using the upload feature cause Sonic Stage randomly trashes discs and makes then unreadable/playable.  I go the total recorder route which does just a good a job and I can listen to it as it plays.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »

Nope, they changed that 2 versions ago ( i believe ).  Its pretty nice since there is no worries about something going wrong and attempting to reupload it only to have it delete your recording w/o warning! 

Ive stopped using the upload feature cause Sonic Stage randomly trashes discs and makes then unreadable/playable.  I go the total recorder route which does just a good a job and I can listen to it as it plays.

Not only that - but you can use SonicStage on one computer to download commercial CDs (bit-perfect if you like) to a HiMD disc, put that disc into another recorder and upload an unlimited number of times to a completely different computer!  That's 4 different machines right there and no restrictions in sight.  Sony even advertises (or implies) this ability on its product boxes and fliers.  Not only did forced DRM go out the window, but it looks like SCMS is gone too.   ;D

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:33:26 PM »

Not only that - but you can use SonicStage on one computer to download commercial CDs (bit-perfect if you like) to a HiMD disc, put that disc into another recorder and upload an unlimited number of times to a completely different computer!  That's 4 different machines right there and no restrictions in sight.  Sony even advertises (or implies) this ability on its product boxes and fliers.  Not only did forced DRM go out the window, but it looks like SCMS is gone too.   ;D

ya you cant go wrong with that! 

My only complaint is that fter buying an Ipod and then returning it and starting to use my MD to use as my MP3s player its PAINFULLY SLOOOOOW.  I assume that its slow because of physical limitations of the disc speed...but damn its like 15 min to move 300mb.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »

My only complaint is that fter buying an Ipod and then returning it and starting to use my MD to use as my MP3s player its PAINFULLY SLOOOOOW.  I assume that its slow because of physical limitations of the disc speed...but damn its like 15 min to move 300mb.

There's no way around it, optical disks will always be slower than flash media.  However, with a faster computer (I use an Athlon 64 4000+) uploading a 700MB WAV takes 12 minutes from a CF (Sandisk 1GB Ultra II) with either a card reader or the MT.  SonicStage takes more like 18 minutes.  So in this particular case the difference isn't that terribly big.  I must be lucky, I've yet to have my PC trash my recordings.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:14:02 PM by gl0bber »

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 12:51:50 AM »

There's no way around it, optical disks will always be slower than flash media.  However, with a faster computer (I use an Athlon 64 4000+) uploading a 700MB WAV takes 12 minutes from a CF (Sandisk 1GB Ultra II) with either a card reader or the MT.  SonicStage takes more like 18 minutes.  So in this particular case the difference isn't that terribly big.  I must be lucky, I've yet to have my PC trash my recordings.

Weird...the same 10-11 min it takes to move 300 mb (i just double checked it) to the MD I can dump about 2gb worth of MP3s to an Ipod.  Maybe when I get my 2nd chip in and finish up this Opteron box things will speed up.

I've had it trash 3 recordings of the 75 or show Ive taped so I guess that isnt too bad. Music Midtown (Keane, Killers, Bloc Party, and someone else), Alter Bridge, and the 2nd disc to the last VR show I went to (thankfully it was only the last 2 songs).  There doesnt seem to be any real reason for the errors it just happens.  I guess Ive been lucky as it hasnt trashed anything I really cared about except for the 2 VR songs...and a buddy taped that night as well and was kind enough to send them over to me.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com