Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best recording device that is compatibale with Mac's...  (Read 4385 times)

Offline philbombs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best recording device that is compatibale with Mac's...
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »
hey all...
i am brand spankin' new here, so allow me to beg your indulgance on a question that has probably already been asked and answered time and time again...(if this is the case, kindly post the link to where i can find some info)....

here goes...i work at a club that runs its sound off of a 16 channel allen&heath...i want to patch in and get soundboard recordings that i can then upload onto my Mac for bit torrent purposes...so im in the market for the best possible recording device to suit my needs...now, i've done some slight research on the nomad JB3, and get the incling that it isn't so much mac friendly...is this so? Is this a recommended recording device? What are my best options?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: best recording device that is compatibale with Mac's...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:26:30 PM »
hey all...
i am brand spankin' new here, so allow me to beg your indulgance on a question that has probably already been asked and answered time and time again...(if this is the case, kindly post the link to where i can find some info)....

here goes...i work at a club that runs its sound off of a 16 channel allen&heath...i want to patch in and get soundboard recordings that i can then upload onto my Mac for bit torrent purposes...so im in the market for the best possible recording device to suit my needs...now, i've done some slight research on the nomad JB3, and get the incling that it isn't so much mac friendly...is this so? Is this a recommended recording device? What are my best options?

What is your budget?  There are several options, but they are budget dependant.  The iRiver H120 or H320 come to mind.  They show up as an external drive when mounted on the mac.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline philbombs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:54:12 PM »
...budgeting would be around $300-ish...

what are the cabel requirments (the in's and out's) of the iRiver...i would be running two quarter inch outs from the soundboard...

and how does this mount, specifically, to the mac?

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
The nomad JB3 works just fine with a Mac.  I use it all the time.  Just download the program XNJB (freeware) and you are golden.  Only downside is it only uses USB to transfer so its slower than a Firewire, but no biggie really.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline philbombs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:21:10 PM »
hmmm...bluegrass, do you know much about this iRiver piece...comparitavely, i wonder what the pro's and con's are of the two for mac users...

Offline philbombs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »
choices, choices...i guess i have my research cut out for me...

still, in the meantime, i am open to any advice on this...lemme hear it!  and if ya have any links to where i can obtain more info on some of these products, link away...

i would like to say that quality and simplicity of use are key in my decision...and to reiterate, basically, i am just going to upload the sound files onto the 'ol G4 for bit torrenting purposes...whatever device that offers the smoothest transition throughout the entire recording/uploading process will get my cash...

already you all have been mighty helpful...thank you!

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
Back in early July I purchased a new Edirol R-09 and Applecare replaced my old G4 iBook with a new MacBook. Both have been excellent.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline philbombs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:04:57 PM »
sounds super nice of applecare...for me, personally, i just kind of inherited the G4, which was previously pretty much unused...its not a laptop though, it sits pretty at home. and i gotta say...i love it...i wanna put it to great use...

whatcha think of the edirol r-09? do tell...

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »
I never could get the Iriver 120 to play nice with my Mac...others seem to not have a problem with it. YMMV

I just got an R-09 but haven't had the chance to play with it other than to determine what everyone else has = that the battery door sucks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:13:48 PM by ashevillain »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 08:45:54 PM »
No problems using the iRiver with my Mac. I think it's probably the best solution for you right now.

Here's one thread on SBD patch cables:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=34254.0

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »
microtrack works fine with mac too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »
Go get a copy of pro-tools and record every track directly to the machine..... ;D
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
SD card from my R-09 plugged into generic USB 2.0 card reader plugged into my iMac G5... then Sound Studio and xACT to finish it out... my flac files are ready to be uploaded the same night of the show.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

bucagator

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 08:30:09 AM »
The iKey works great for us. We record chuurch services onto a flash drive, plug the flash drive into the mac, download it, edit it, and burn a cd. It's easy. We take a y cable (1 TRS to two rca) from the headphones out of ou A&H icon digital mixer into the iKey. Get the new iKey plus that has metering capabilities.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »
how big is this room.  how good is the sound.  I don't want to sound condesending but you maybe very dissapointed with the results of a dsbd recording.  I would look into a butget aud rig.  you can always do a couple matrixes if you want.  I run sound in a small room and quite often don't have the whole band miced.  this would make a poor dsbd tape for sure!

food for thought
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com