Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 Question  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
R4 Question
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »
Is it pretty easy to do a post mix when you record 2 different sources with the R4? I'm assuming since you’re using the same internal clock that you wouldn't have the drift problem you normally would have with two different recorders. Since both sources are started and stopped at the same time, they should be easy to mix. Is that true?

Rick
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:08:36 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: R4 Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:18:29 PM »
yes it is pretty easy. you may have to align the two sources if they are done at different distances from the source. For instance if you do a matrix (SBD + AUD) you will have to align the two sources since the AUD signal will be somewhat delayed. for a 4 mic source in which all of the mics are at the same distance from the source than no alignment is neccesary.

edit to fix sum mis spelin ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:20:32 PM by ShawnSmith »

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
forgot to say that drift is never a problem.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:21:19 PM »
you may have to align the two sources if they are done at different distances from the source.

Just a quick note to add that this is a one-time alignment.  Do it once, and you're done.  No drift = no re-alignment every 2, or 3, or 5 min, etc.  Easy peasy.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »
you may have to align the two sources if they are done at different distances from the source.

Just a quick note to add that this is a one-time alignment.  Do it once, and you're done.  No drift = no re-alignment every 2, or 3, or 5 min, etc.  Easy peasy.

Yep, I'm lovin the R4 too.  Even for two track recording it is just very convenient to use...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 12:02:23 AM »
I post mix nearly every recording I make since I usually run more than 2 mics. ;) The R4 makes it super-easy, no drift, and only a minor delay is needed to remedy any timing differences.

BTW, I recently spot-miced a trio with the R4 for a post-mixdown. It was one of the few times I didn't run any sort of a stereo pair at all -- just one mic per instrument. Had some phasing, but it was a fun little production project. I also synced some of it with video for one track. It's the top post in my blog right now.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 08:06:07 AM »
Just echoing the above - super easy to sync the 2 sources. Just line them up at the beginning and you're set for the entire length.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com