Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brief question for Minidisc users ("TOC hack" variety)  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Nugneant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Brief question for Minidisc users ("TOC hack" variety)
« on: December 09, 2006, 02:00:54 AM »
Hiya. I just got back from a show, and had a little unfortunate happenstance.

I recorded the first set, no troubles no nothing. Stopped the recording, the TOC saved, I was a happy man.

However, at some point between sets, I made a false-start in recording. Deciding it wasn't worth my while to record the in-house music, I hit "stop". When I hit "stop", apparently my Minidisc unit fritzed out and decided to erase the table of contents.

I didn't realize this until recording 7 seconds of new audio at the beginning of the disc.

So basically, sequence of events goes:

50 minutes of audio recorded, no problem.
~10 minutes of audio recorded, TOC isn't updated.
7 seconds of audio recorded before noticing that the TOC was at track 1, and stopping this.

I'm well aware of the "TOC hack" (recording a blank disc, swapping discs without the unit catching on, ending up with a functional disc) - but my unit isn't one that can perform the table-of-contents hack.

Before I go trolling the depths of eBay for a unit that can (the show was fan-fucking-tastic and it'd be worth the money to have a copy), I want to know if it'll be worth my while or not.

I know Minidiscs are non-linear (that is, they fragment, etc just like hard drives), so there's a chance - however sickening - that by recording those seven seconds, I lost the 47 minutes of audio I had already secured. There's also a chance that, since it was a fresh disc, the audio will all be fine, with the 7 seconds appearing tacked on at the end. And there's a chance that it'll be something in the middle. Whatever.

I figured someone here has had a similar experience, and could offer wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
Re: Brief question for Minidisc users ("TOC hack" variety)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:51:10 PM »
Ive heard of people buying a standalone MD unit that reads ANYTHING on the disc - even corrupted TOCs - i forget which model, but i remember someone here in this forum has one - try doing a forum search
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »
Ive heard of people buying a standalone MD unit that reads ANYTHING on the disc - even corrupted TOCs - i forget which model, but i remember someone here in this forum has one - try doing a forum search
I think what you're talking about is called a "pro" unit, and usually goes for an exhorbant sum (to my knowledge).

I'd sooner just buy one of the used "walkmen" units for a few hundred less.

Thanks though :)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
from my understanding what you should have on the disc

[---][-----------------------------------][------------]

7s           50min-7s                           ~10min

since you started w/  blank disc

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »
I have a unit that you can trick out the TOC with.  I havnt used this unit in years......  I'd be willing to part with it for cheap or just have you send me the MD and I'll make a data CD for you.

You'r call.  PM if interested.

Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie

nameloc01

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 07:10:12 PM »
there was just( in the last week or two) a similiar thread with someone having the same problem.a memeber did respond saying he had a unit (i dont rememeber what model it was) but apparently he said that he could more than likely extract the audio with this unit.i'd look for this thread and contact this member.

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 08:40:20 AM »
Actually, the MDS-302 does -not- do what I need it to do. Good thing I erred on the side of caution.  :-\

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
I have several MDs, Sony MDS JE520, Sharp MD-MT15 (portable) & two Sharp MD-SR60s (portable).  The MiniDisc.org has hacks for MT 15 TOC cloning on Sharp MD-MT15 class machines.  There is also info re Sony TOC cloning where David Tamkin has written extensively about TOC cloning procedures on the Sony MDS-JE520.  Not sure this is the task you're try to perform but if any will do the job you need, I'm certainly willing to help out. 

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »
I think what you're talking about is called a "pro" unit, and usually goes for an exhorbant sum (to my knowledge).

I'd sooner just buy one of the used "walkmen" units for a few hundred less.

Thanks though :)

I have a TASCAM MD301 MKII.  This is a  Rack mountable Pro unit and it has read everything I have thrown at it.  I had a MZR70 fritz on me once and the TASCAM read the disc....They are pricey. 469 new.  The current model is the TASCAM350 its the same as the 301MKII.  Mine has only about 75 hours on it, before I switched to DAT.  I would be willing to sell it for 200$  the thing is mint, Cherry Mint.... it has SCMS free opti in and out, analog in and out on RCA and I think XLR..... remote, orignal box and owner manuel.. its been a while since I've looked at it....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:02:45 AM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm happy to report that with a bit of ingenuity, the MZR-900 from Sony can pull off the TOC trick. It's a matter of opening the unit up, then either wedging a piece of cardboard on a certain button or (if you're me) breaking the button off, then soldering a connection in the heat of panic. I have pictures... somewhere on my hard drive...

Must have pissed someone off with this thread, too... -4 tickets... sheesh... whoever you are, I'm sorry for offending your professional sensibilities ;)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »
I ignore the tickets.  They are gratuitous either plus or minus.  There is no way of knowing the mind or the ethics of the person who adds or subtracts them, so they are pretty much meaningless.   8)

A trip to www.minidisc.org should get you straight on TOC cloning. 

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com