Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A present from M-audio this morning - MicroTrack firmware 1.4.6  (Read 10034 times)

Offline jtessier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Here's the change list from the Read Me file:

Changes from v1.4.5 to v1.4.6:

- Increased the card interface reset time. This allows cards that require a longer reset time to be recognized properly.
- fixed problem where some cards would erroneously display a media full message when trying to record but then record successfully if recording was immediately attempted again.
- If the MicroTrack was 1) connected to power and 2) was paused during recording and then 3) reached the timeout limit set in auto off, it could lose the recording. In 1.4.6 the MicroTrack will no longer attempt to turn off if plugged into power.

Also, it links to some tutorials on installing the firmware for those that may not have done that before:

A more detailed Mac OS X and Windows specific instruction document with graphics can be viewed on the M-Audio support site here:

Windows XP specific instructions: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=a3d6aa8836ed3debfaa1fa71ebee7065

Mac OS X specific instructions: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=cb0bd1767854c4b3ddd4bd12e2b0a6de

Here's a direct link to the firmware: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=776&dl=yes

Happy updating.

J.T.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: A present from M-audio this morning - MicroTrack firmware 1.4.6
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »
Great! I hated it when it does this:

- fixed problem where some cards would erroneously display a media full message when trying to record but then record successfully if recording was immediately attempted again.

Hope they will correct the forward and rewind feature next.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
Seems like this fixes a couple common stability problems regarding certain memory cards. Installed fine here, works great!

Also got an external battery plus the Sound Pro's low profile audio interface this week ... very happy with the results! That extra 6db or is it 10? from using the 1'4" inputs really helps.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »
This new update has fixed a problem that must have been introduced in a prior upgrade.  When I first got the MT I was using an 8GB Sandisk Ultra II card that worked fine.  Then about 6 months ago I began to get tat-tat-tat noise when using it at 24 bits, but not 16, at any sampling rate.  The card still worked fine at 24/96 in a 722, Marantz 671, Fostex FR2, whatever, but other Sandisk Ultra II 8GB cards or Delkin cards worked fine in the MT, so I bought the M-Audio tech line that the problem was somehow in the card.  Well, with the new firmware the card works fine in the MT at 24/96 again.  So I guess it was the MT firmware after all.  Good thing they didn't admit it, though.  Rowrbazzle.

Jeff

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
Great! I hated it when it does this:

Hope they will correct the forward and rewind feature next.

I have not noticed a rewind or fast forward problem at all. I admit I only use FF or Rew after a show in the car listening to the show, but it works fine. What is the problem you are experiencing?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »
when you are playing back a long 24/96 or 24/48 track and push either FW or RW the music pauses as if the MT crashed. But when you release the button it either jumps to the next track or start playing at the point where you started pressing the FW/RW....So it's not really functional. Maybe it's just my MT.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
I just installed the update, and went to firmware update on the unit. It was doing its thing, then i thought it was rebooting but nothing happened, now it's dead! No power, can't turn on! WTF!   ???
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:00:38 PM »
Someone else just went through this.  Look here for recovery steps:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79340.msg1058729.html#msg1058729

Good luck!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:07:57 AM »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »
Someone else just went through this.  Look here for recovery steps:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79340.msg1058729.html#msg1058729

Good luck!

+T

Yes, i would have gave a +T, but can't yet. Well I followed all the instructions and nothing worked with the recovery disk. I can't even turn the unit on. Even when I plug in to charge nothing happens. I was going to use it last night, so I figured I should update firmware, what a mistake. Time to call M-Audio.
I'm so pissed right now. I missed something last night, and I'll bet I miss the 3 shows I want to record in 2 weeks. F*&%$

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 09:57:44 AM »
Hey Hawghunter,
Same thing has happened to mine, went to update and everything went fine until it tried to reboot and, nothing. I've also tried the recovery steps in that link but no luck. I'm going to try to get guitar center to exchange it but i'm not convinced they'll be to helpfull.
Glad I haven't ditched my d8 yet since I suspect the MT is effectively dead.
I'll post back if I get any answers.

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Thats where I bought mine, let me know what they say.
I just called M-Audio and they want the unit back. Just great, they said 3-4 weeks turnaround, WTF  >:(!!! I don't even know what to say now except F&^%$, looks like I'll miss the recordings I wanted to make in 2 weeks.

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »

hawghunter,
I suggest taking it to guitar center first, they just gave me a new one. Let them know that you cannot wait 3-4 weeks and to check w/ their(gc's) local m-audio rep. M-audio gennerally just ships out a new unit anyway, so there shouldn't be any reason why your guitar center couldn't expidite that for you as well.
Good Luck

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »
busterr024,
when did you buy yours, mine was like 6+ months ago. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that first.
Did you try to update the firmware yet in the new unit?

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
I got it about two months ago.

No i haven't tried it yet. It's actually still getting that first charge. I am a little hesitant though. I must say i believe the problem for me was caused by still having a wav file on the cf card i used to do the update w/. (oops)

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 01:33:59 PM »
I got it about two months ago.

No i haven't tried it yet. It's actually still getting that first charge. I am a little hesitant though. I must say i believe the problem for me was caused by still having a wav file on the cf card i used to do the update w/. (oops)

There wasn't anything on my CF, I actually reformated before I put the update on and it. So I wonder if it has something to do with the update and the CF card. what brand of CF card?? mine was Transcend 8gig 120x.

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
8gig 120x transcend for me as well. Might be on to something there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:52:01 PM by busterr024 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
The instructions linked in the first post in this thread say to use the card that came with the MT.  I just formated and used a 2 GB SanDisk Ultra II card and had no problems, but I did wonder why they wantedyou to use the original card, I don't remember doing that with any of the earlier firmware updates.  ANyway, mine seems to be working fine.

Jeff

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
I never used that card for anything, too small. The updates I did before were done with a 2gig SanDisk Ultra II also. So It may be somthing with the 8 gig 120x card.  ???

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »
Unfortunately mine didn't come w/ a cf card originally (open box deal) so it was either gonna be w/ the 4 or 8gig I had at the time. The new one came with their card so i'll go with that for updates from now on.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »
I think the reason M-audio suggests using the supplied card is there are NO ISSUES with the protocol on the supplied card, but there may be some incompatibilities with protocols on some other types of CF cards faulting the upgrade process, especially the 'super-speed' types.   Card capacity seems not the issue.

If you've lost having the supplied card, choose a 'slower' CF card, and format this card in the deck BEFORE transferring the three upgrade files to that card either using direct-to-deck USB connection, or card reader attached to the computer.  Then upgrading should go smoothly.

I couldn't find my supplied card, so chose 128 MEG Sandisk that's been around for 5-6 years for photo purposes, formatted in the deck, and direct connected the deck to XP computer that recognized it as external storage device. 

Transferred the upgrade files, disconnected the deck, turned it off/on, and used the menu to choose UPGRADE FIRMWARE.   Deck upgraded, then rebooted to show correct 1.05 boot-loader and firmware update. 

Now to go out to record something with my Ultra II 8 GIG (never had an issue using this card in MT) confirming no downsides to newest 1.4.6. 

Interested in postings of at least new issues appearing with 1.4.6 update, and if past issues with other makes/model types of CF cards are consistently resolved.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »
the trans 8 gb card is one of the cards that gives people trouble too
sounds like people should def do the upgrade with somthing else if poss
then go back and use the trans 8gb after the update to see it you still get "media full" message
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline lazysean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
I think the reason M-audio suggests using the supplied card is there are NO ISSUES with the protocol on the supplied card

Weird.  My supplied card *never* worked properly with the Microtrack, though I've not tried it with more recent firmware upgrades.  It worked fine in every other digital camera and card reader I've put it in, but the Microtrack always tried to reformat it again, and then not actually manage to save recordings.  No way I would ever try to upgrade the firmware using that card...  Such a small card, though, I never bothered to make a stink about it.  (And for the record I've never had a problem upgrading using the other cards I have - mostly Sandisk Ultra II's)

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
Can anyone confirm the update fixed the 'media is full' message issue, when record is pressed with a transcend 8 gig 120x CF card. Maybe this card is still a problem. I quess that's what this thread is for. Not the nice present 'busterr024' and I got, when our units went into the crapper.

930's > MMe

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
when you reformatted the card, did you do it in the MT or on your computer ?

I have heard of that causing problems as well. Always reformat in the MT ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
when you reformatted the card, did you do it in the MT or on your computer ?

I have heard of that causing problems as well. Always reformat in the MT ...

In the MT. So if the card reformats there, I don't see why there is a problem with updating firmware with the card. I need to move on, and get my unit fixed or try something new.

930's > MMe

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »

Hmm. was it this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208050

I just want to kind of know what it visually looks like too in case I run across one.

Was your MT plugged into USB or the AC power pack?  Mine was on USB.

Thanks,

P.S. Mine updated fine with a SanDisk 8GB Ultra II card.

J.T.

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
Yes, that is the card I have. Plugged into USB.

930's > MMe

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »
Can anyone confirm the update fixed the 'media is full' message issue, when record is pressed with a transcend 8 gig 120x CF card. Maybe this card is still a problem. I quess that's what this thread is for. Not the nice present 'busterr024' and I got, when our units went into the crapper.

I've successfully updated my new mt with the m-audio cf card. Ran some tests with the 8gig transcend card and Did Not get "media is full" message as i did previously. So the update appears to have solved that. Other than the media full thing and trying to update with it, I've never had any issues with the 8gig card.

Hmm. was it this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208050

I just want to kind of know what it visually looks like too in case I run across one.

Thanks,

J.T.

Yep, that is the one.
I plugged it into the AC right before I actually started updating it. I'm not sure why I didn't format the card though. I still think that may have had something to do with it.

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »
busterr024,
Thats good news about the 'media is full' issue. I'll try GC tommorow, fingers crossed, before I send back to M-Audio. I hope I can find the receipt and everything. Someone +t busterr024 for me, I'll get you back. Thanks

930's > MMe

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 05:57:07 PM »

I've successfully updated my new mt with the m-audio cf card. Ran some tests with the 8gig transcend card and Did Not get "media is full" message as i did previously. So the update appears to have solved that. Other than the media full thing and trying to update with it, I've never had any issues with the 8gig card.

Thanks,

J.T.

Yep, that is the one.
I plugged it into the AC right before I actually started updating it. I'm not sure why I didn't format the card though. I still think that may have had something to do with it.

The instructions mention reformatting first, so that may be a big part of why you had your problem. The only file that should be on the card prior to the firmware being placed on it, it the tmp file that MT places on the card. If that is missing, or if there are other files remaining, the likelyhood for a crash is greatly increased.

I confess that I did not reformat, but the only file I had on the card was the tmp file. I had deleted all my recordings and the upgrade was fine. I use an old slow sandisc 4gb card that has never had any issues with the MT.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
Not the case here, I did the reformat as the instuctions said. I just double checked whats on the card; the tmp folder and the three files to update. So I don't know what the deal is.  The only thing I can think of is 'don't use the 8gig transcend CF card to do this update.'  It's just getting worse for me, I can't find the receipt, which will be needed to return. Oh well, nevermind.

930's > MMe

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 08:37:07 PM »
The GC here in San Diego rocks, I have returned mine 3 times and they just hand me a new box no questions asked. As for the up dates I always save them to my desktop unzip them and transfer them to a CF card in the computer. Take the card out and stick it into the mt and do the firmware upgrade. Never had an issue with that as yet.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 11:25:34 PM »
I have returned mine 3 times and they just hand me a new box no questions asked.

WOW, you returned your MT 3X !!!!??  :o

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
No luck @ GC in Arlinton Heights, IL (I guess they don't rock). Back to M-Audio. :-X

930's > MMe

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 06:00:41 PM »
Had to send mine back to M-Audio once.  Had it back the next week. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:25 PM »
yup 3x's the first time I cannot remember what it was for but the manager was bent that I got it for the $299 price thanx to some of the folks here. So he aid if I buy the 3 year extended warranty for $40-$50 bucks he'd do it. Since I figured I was already ahead of the game I went for it. I got home and opened the box and found it was a European model with no U.S wal-wart so I took it back. The last time I had some charging issues i.e. it wouldn't charge so I took it back as soon as the guy who sold it to me saw it n my hand he just went and got a new box. This the first time in my life I bought an extended warranty and it has paid off.

As for M-Audio, I bought one of those 10db pads, I called them several times twice I was on hold for over an hour. Finally I called on morning before I was about to quit calling (my time is too valuable to waste over a $19 POS) I got through. The tech asked me the problem and then proceeded to ask if I had a copy of my receipt when I said no he replied that there was nothing he could do. He did however politely told me that he could let me know where the closest location was so I could buy another one. At this point I VERY politely asked to speak to his supervisor and he replied just a moment. Shortly the supervisor came on and just after he introduced himself I just laid into him, he interrupted me after 45 seconds of my verbal assault and said I'm sorry Mr. Reid we will overnite you a new one right now. Sure enough there is was when I got home. So I am somewhat on the fence about their customer service and will probably never deal directly with them again, GC with extended warranty.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
has anyone had any trouble (outside of the trans8gb) doing the upgrade with a card that gave you trouble in 1.4.5?
such as saying media is full, needing to hit record twice

just wondering if all cards or just the trans8gb will cause trouble during the upgrade
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 63 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com