Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A few quick questions about stealth recorders  (Read 6330 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
A few quick questions about stealth recorders
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
Does the R09 have a digital input?

Can the microtrack be powered externally while recording(with a usb power source?)?

What's up with this new Vibez (other than what I've read in the thread here)?

Any alternatives in this size range?

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: A few quick questions about stealth recorders
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »
I'm no expert, but:

The R09 has an optical out, but not an input.

Errr, hope that helps a bit.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
Does the R09 have a digital input?

Nope.

Can the microtrack be powered externally while recording(with a usb power source?)?

Yep.

What's up with this new Vibez (other than what I've read in the thread here)?

Never heard of it, sorry.

If you're not limited to 24bit, the iriver h120, jb3, and others are great options.  Also, the r1 is a 24bit machine that is larger than the mt2496 and r09 but still has been a pretty reliable stealth recorder.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »
Thanks guys +t's.

I'm really getting tired of disc-flipping wth my HiMD recorder...I need a set-it-and-forget-machine.
If I'm not considering 24bit, then I think the TrekStor Vibez is my best bet right now.....
-12gb internal storage, 16 bit, analog line-in, no digital input, plays flacs, drag and drop, looks like cell-phone and is small as shit, $220.

If I nearly double the price of that I could go for the microtrack and get 24bit, with digital and balanced in... but then there's also the matter of pricey 4 gb SD cards. So really it's $300-$400 bucks more than the Vibez to get it setup for actual taping. Not enough improvements to justify the price.

And I'm talking retail prices, cause I don't have enough time to have it shipped.

I think for my purposes, and the fact that I already have a stealth preamp, the Vibez is it. The 24 bit just isn't worth the extra dough, especially considering I use my laptop for open taping most of the time and get it with that.

So I'm going with the Vibez... someone convince me otherwise.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »
Hey Taper -

The only potential shortfall I can see in the Vibez is the A/D converter - if it's taking analog in, somehow it's converting it to digital to record it, and some A/D converters are better than others.  I have no idea what the range of quality is for A/D converters, but I've heard some pretty cruddy digital recorders (mostly those storing as MP3 rather than WAV). 

I'd see if you can find out anyting about the quality of the Vibez A/D (there's got to be something on this board, try a search on Vibez?) and confirm that it does record analog line in as 44.1 / 16 wav files.  It'd be a kick in the nuts to find out the recording function is fixed at some resolution below 44.1 / 16 ...

Good luck!
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
1: No
2: Yes
3: Don't know much about it, but Ive heard the A/D is not as good as a R-09 or MicroTracker
4: The new Korg recorder..good reviews..looks like the bee's knee's....but pricey ..

Stealth ?......I don't know what your talking about, man
 :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Have a NICE day...

Peace,
jk

ps: you have no idea how diffucult it has become to interject the phrase "bee's knee's" into a normal everyday conversation... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:43:41 PM by joekar »
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »
It's too new to get any real info on the Vibez... there's one thread here about it, but the guys who have gotten it are just tinkering as of yet....
... confirmed to record 44.1 / 16 wav's.... the A/D is the real issue here.

What sucks about the whole a/d thing is the HiMD's have really good a/d's from what I've read. I just can't deal with these disc's anymore.

But on the flip, how is the A/D in the microtrack? If I'm getting a crappy one anyway, might as well go with the Vibez cause even if it's shitty as a recorder I can at least use it as playback for flacs.

I am still considering the microtrack though... I have till Friday to make up my mind....  more feedback would be well received.

edit: I could always go with a second hi-md recorder as well.... there's a mzm10 on-sale at the local guitar center for $212.... that would give me the mac compatibility I've been longing for, and while I'd still have to swap discs, I wouldn't be missing anything if I split the signal into both. As far as A/D's go, I'm pretty sure the himd's are top-notch.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:52:10 PM by taper420 »

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »
What MD are you using and will you be selling it?  I'm looking for a 2nd one just to have a backup. 
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
Hi T -

I have a MicroTrack and am pretty happy with the sound.  I still think my old Sony D8 might have an edge when using unbalanced mics plugged into the stereo mic input (one plug for both mics, same setup for the D8 and the MT), but I can't tell if that's because the D8 has a better D/A or better preamps.  My expectation is it's because of better pre's on the Sony, but I have no way to confirm.  

There's been a lot of research and dissection of the MTs on this board, so I'm sure someone's taken a swing at analyzing the MT A/D somewhere.  I do know the pre's on the MT leave something to be desired, I was always hoping someone would come up with a mod...

Good luck!
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
rh10... it's in my sig
and no not selling, I still need it for all my previous discs, and I'd still use it for backup. I'm actually planning on running it along with the new gear at this stealthy show that's coming up....I want to clip the stealth mics to my hat and go into the rh10... and then have another rig setup with my normal mics (if it looks like I can get away with it).... plus having more recorders is good for festees when there's just too much to record with one rig.

But check my last post... if you want me to pick up that m10 at guitar center (assuming I don't), I'll be happy to (of course ya gotta let me use it on monday) :)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »

the Korg MR-1 is also in this size range.  either DSD recording, or 24 bit PCM (or 16 bit).  I think there's a 20 gig HD in there, so no media to worry about.  and initial reports indicate that some people are quite pleased with the sound.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »
sorry, ive got the signatures turned off on this board so they dont show up on the posts.

Id like another Rh1 as the RH10s had laser issues causing read/write errors.  What is an M10, are they on clearance at Guitar Center? Oh ya, that record has the same issues at the RH10.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 03:09:56 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
How do these various recorders treat 2gb+ files?
MT? R1? R09?

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
sorry, ive got the signatures turned off on this board so they dont show up on the posts.

Id like another Rh1 as the RH10s had laser issues causing read/write errors.  What is an M10, are they on clearance at Guitar Center?

Interesting about the read write errors... haven't encountered any of that....
the M10 came out right after the rh10 and rh100....the M10 is equivelent to the rh910 (no light up display) except that it has mac compatibility.

There not on clearance, they have one left in an opened box being sold "as-is".

How do you like the Rh1?...all my legacy md's are begging for it. If I could get that for a decent price that's what I'd go with... time's running out though and the only place I could pick it up at wants $330...... that's just way too much for a disc flipper in todays age of flash and 24bit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:02:29 PM by taper420 »

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
decisions , decisions  .... I always hate making them under pressure...feel like I'm gonna make the wrong decision and for sure I'm not gonna get the best price.... B&H has the vibez 12gb vibez for $199, and the 15gb one is out of stock, but of course B&H is closed until the 10th.

Maybe I should change this thread to "anyone wanna lend me their stealth recorder for the phil show on monday?"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com