Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: About to leap...R-4 PRO vs 744T  (Read 8560 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: About to leap...R-4 PRO vs 744T
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
My unit was nowhere near the serial number range.  >:(  Mine happened  doing  2xstereo  24/48 or 24/96.  Never ran mono.  And I never tried the firmware upgrade mainly do to the gaps in files it introduces and since the firmware couldn't be undone I didn't wanna do it if my problem still persisted.  It said this was to correct the 4xmono hddslow issue so I figured it wouldn't work for me. Maybe it would have though. Just couldn't believe a new drive couldn't solve the problem.  Leads me to believe Edirol has more than just a bug here.  Other than the drive slow thing the deck was really nice.  I was just tired of the "what if" thing.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 11:06:11 PM »
So that we're not mistaken here Mark had a regular R4 and NOT the R4 Pro which DOES NOT suffer from the HDD Slow issue.

Just wanted that fact out there as the thread title is R4 Pro vs 744T

Offline Ron Priest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »
So that we're not mistaken here Mark had a regular R4 and NOT the R4 Pro which DOES NOT suffer from the HDD Slow issue.

Just wanted that fact out there as the thread title is R4 Pro vs 744T

Good Point

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
You are correct sir.  I had the regular R4.  I guess I was more upset by Edirol's response to me than anything else so I wanted folks to be aware of their product support, etc.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 01:11:23 PM »
(an r4 needs...) to be modded under any circumstances if you are considering running mic>deck.

I totally disagree, there's plenty of decent stock R4 sources out there. As mentioned previously, a huge factor for sound quality on a stock R4 is about using as little pre as possible (which isn't a bad idea for anyone with any gear). This is accomplished through picking a good combination of mic-in/line-in and pad/sensitivity on your mics. With experience, I rarely ever need to put the gain past 12 'o clock (or even 11 for that matter). The R4 pro makes this even easier b/c it has seperate gain/trim knobs -- which is very nice. Anyway, just decided this thread needed a different perspective on that front.

YMMV of course, and tapermark's experience is a good example of that, cause that obviously sucked...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »
You are correct sir.  I had the regular R4.  I guess I was more upset by Edirol's response to me than anything else so I wanted folks to be aware of their product support, etc.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls Mark I promise.  :)

I posted some info in the Team R4 thread about a recent experience I had with support for the R4 and R4 Pro.  It appears that you can get direct support from the Roland Systems Group.  I had a great conversation with the lead tech over there, Ted Rosen.

I believe that the stick units do sound good on their own for the price point that they sell for.  But (you knew there was a but) there is alot to be said about the mods being done on both units.  I really do feel like once Doug Oade modded my R4 it sounded better than the 7xx boxes.  I feel the same way with my current Oade modded R4 Pro.

Again there is so much info regarding both boxes that you'll go crazy reading all of it.  Pros and cons.  Just count me as a satisfied R4 and R4 Pro owner.

Offline Ron Priest

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
Again there is so much info regarding both boxes that you'll go crazy reading all of it.  Pros and cons.  Just count me as a satisfied R4 and R4 Pro owner.

Pardon my in inexperience  on this board, I'm pretty new here.  How do I find the "Team R4" Thread?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »

Pardon my in inexperience  on this board, I'm pretty new here.  How do I find the "Team R4" Thread?

Always happy and exciting to add new members/owners to Team R4.

Here is the latest Team thread:     http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83100.0.html

Offline Ron Priest

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 08:03:42 PM »
Always happy and exciting to add new members/owners to Team R4.

Here is the latest Team thread:     http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83100.0.html

Wow, thanks.  Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com