Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What 7xx series do you run?

702t
744t

Author Topic: 7xx series poll  (Read 12081 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
Re: 7xx series poll
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »
a good idea for 4 pres. still no timecode.

True. But it is only used in film and video work anyway. And films where made for close to a hundred years without timecode, it only makes things a little simpler in the post processing.

Gunnar

and that's true. although these days if one is going to do any audio for video/film work, having timecode capabilities is a big plus.   easier post is nothing to sneeze at. also, for most of the century, they were using one standard.
db

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »
and that's true. although these days if one is going to do any audio for video/film work, having timecode capabilities is a big plus.   easier post is nothing to sneeze at. also, for most of the century, they were using one standard.

I've come to the conclusion that unless you're working on a big budget film, nobody is running timecode. I've done stuff for several indie projects and National Geographic and none of them used timecode. Most of the people use the guide track to align the audio from the Deva.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 07:29:14 AM »
yeah, uhhh, thanks guys, for putting the idea of a second 722 in my head.    >:(      :P
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that unless you're working on a big budget film, nobody is running timecode. I've done stuff for several indie projects and National Geographic and none of them used timecode. Most of the people use the guide track to align the audio from the Deva.

Wayne

the project i just finished used it -- a student though. for fun applications like video-taping a band where you might run for 45 mins without stopping, it will help with drift.  agreed though in a two minute take it is not necessary.
db

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
the project i just finished used it -- a student though. for fun applications like video-taping a band where you might run for 45 mins without stopping, it will help with drift.  agreed though in a two minute take it is not necessary.

Nop. It does note help with drift in a scene. In a digital world, timecode only sets the start of the sound file.

Really, very few has any use for timecode. The few that has use for it and knows about it. For the rest of us, TC is not any reason to go for one recorder or the other.

Gunnar
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:40:34 PM by ghellquist »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
We do a lot of work with local video production company, and they have only used timecode twice thus far.  Both projects were big ones though (one a Warner Brothers artist, the other was audio for a reality TV show that will premiere on Fox this fall).

Every other video project we've done, they've relied on a cue just before shooting to synchronize everything (a snare hit, or a hand clap or something)

Still, we keep a Timecode generator on hand because you never know!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
I was surprised that National Geographic didn't use time code. In fact, they simply wanted to run direct to the camera and not do a backup. But since I had the Deva and used that as the mixer, I went ahead and recorded it anyhow. Turns out that saved our ass. We had some strange audio problems with the audio track on the camera. Post was able to take the files I sent and replace the audio without any problems.

Wayne

Offline boojum

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
"Ass saving" is always an important function!    ;o)  I definitely would have been recording regardless of what the client said.  Just like digital cameras, you can always throw away what you don't need, but you cannot create out of nothing what you do need.  Expose yourself to as little risk as possible.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:20:30 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
I was surprised that National Geographic didn't use time code. In fact, they simply wanted to run direct to the camera and not do a backup. But since I had the Deva and used that as the mixer, I went ahead and recorded it anyhow. Turns out that saved our ass. We had some strange audio problems with the audio track on the camera. Post was able to take the files I sent and replace the audio without any problems.

Wayne

i was taping at a soulive show several months back where they were filming for a DVD. guy with the filming crew was running a mono feed from the board to a 744 as an mp3 file. i believe he was running Timecode to the camera so they could sync later (didn't make much sense to me i don't do much video) and then later were going to sync the vid with a multitrack from the board. i asked the guy with the 744 why he wasn't running a few channels 24bit since it was readily available to him and he said the sound guy would take care of all the audio. well sound guy's laptop crashed apparently and lost the whole show.

they were very appreciative they decided to let me tape that night when they needed to track down a copy of the show ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »
and he said the sound guy would take care of all the audio. well sound guy's laptop crashed apparently and lost the whole show.

Thus the reason I do not trust laptops for recording.

Wayne

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »
and he said the sound guy would take care of all the audio. well sound guy's laptop crashed apparently and lost the whole show.

Thus the reason I do not trust laptops for recording.

Wayne

+1

got over that whole laptop thing a LONG time ago.  Now I just use it to surf during the show if there's wireless.   :coolguy:
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »
as a non owner, i would love to see the results of this poll. curious how many of these boxes are in the group.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
as a non owner, i would love to see the results of this poll. curious how many of these boxes are in the group.

Current tally:

702     - 11 (14.3%)
702t    - 1 (1.3%)
722    - 52 (67.5%)
744t    - 13 (16.9%)
Total Voters: 77
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
thanks brian +t
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
thats alot of $$ right there ;D

Current tally:

702     - 11 (14.3%)
702t    - 1 (1.3%)
722    - 52 (67.5%)
744t    - 13 (16.9%)
Total Voters: 77

we have $124,800 just in 722's on this site ;D thats pretty intense. and is based on 2,400 for a 722. $20,900 +/- in 702's. prolly around $2,000 in 702T's. and around $58,500 +/- in 744T's 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com