Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Anyone use AKG C414B-ULS's?

(1/3) > >>

crunchy:
I am thinking of getting a pair of these mics to try out. Anyone use these mics or have recordings made with them? They seem to get good reviews, and it looks like I might be able to pick up a pair on e-bay for around $1200.  

goose:
Hey Crunchy - others may be of more help, but I can give you some input.  I have patched from some 414s and the tapes are nice.  That said, I am not sure if it was the ULS or the TL2 or whatver the transformerless version is.  I believe the TL2 has a rise in the HF or something along those lines.  I have heard different people say that each is the one to have for concert recording, so no unanimous decision there.  Probably depends on location.  Just want to let you know/remind you that there are two different versions with differing characteristics you should be aware of.

HTH

crunchy:
yeah the TL2s are the ones with the HF rise (just looked it up on the akg website), would you be interested in seting up a trade for your recording?

Tim:
TL = transformerless  ;D

goose:
sure, i'd be happy to - may be a bugger to find though (not sure which band).  the tape i am thinking of was made at the belly up tavern (san diego area) - not sure a bad tape has ever been made there because of the location of the taping area, so it may not be very representative.  PM me and we'll work it out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version