Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardiod vs Hyper Cardiod  (Read 7039 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Cardiod vs Hyper Cardiod
« on: April 01, 2003, 12:21:07 AM »
Hoping somebody could help me with the differences between Cardiod and HyperCardiod and when I should use which.  I have a pair of AT943 and only the Cardiod capsules.  Trying to decide if I should buy the HyperCardiod capsules.

-Kevin

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Cardiod vs Hyper Cardiod
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 12:26:34 AM »
use hypers in a shitty room or when you want more directivity......when your in a different, better sounding room, use those cards especially outdoors......so buy the hypers AND you have the hypers when you need them......my $00.02 cents....... ;D

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 12:29:37 AM »
Hey,

Hyper caps help to reduce off-axis noise.  Take for instance that annoying clapper next to you that you hear on the tape.  Hypers would help to reduce this noise.  Say you find yourself in a bar, where the pa system bounces off of the walls, and by time your mics hear it it has been degraded by reflections off of walls, hypers help to clear this up.  Now, say you are really far back, and you want to produce a tape that feels like you were farther forward, hypers help achieve this.  Ok, enough of that, back to the beer ;)

Daryan

Offline blu666z

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 02:20:28 AM »
Makes sense.  I assume off-axis is sounds coming from directions other than what you are pointing at.?.?  

-Kevin

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 09:25:10 AM »
yes, I love hypers, I think one of schoeps best caps is the mk41, use it all the time.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline blu666z

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 12:51:19 PM »
What about shotguns?

-Kevin

Tim

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 01:36:57 PM »
What about shotguns?

-Kevin

Shotgun mics were designed to be mounted on a boom and used on movie and television sets to pick up audio. They are highly directional (more so than a hyper card) and are highly colored off-axis. To use them to tape a show you must be dead on accurate with your mic placement and even then I find the results to be less than pleasing. There is just always something missing, some describe it as sounding like there is a hole in the middle of the soundstage and I tend to agree with that. Use hypers instead and the results will be much more pleasing.

Offline blu666z

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 02:06:07 PM »
I guess my next question is whether to buy the hypers or save my money.  I am running a pair of AT943s and I have been very happy with them but I do know that they are on the lower end of the scale.  So should I get the second set of caps or save my money and put it toward a higher end set of mics?

-Kevin

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 02:14:34 PM »
no offense intended, but since you asked...  ;)

i think you'd be MUCH more likely to improve your sound with an upgrade.  just a thought, but you could get quite a bit higher up the 'mic ladder' if buying lightly used from someone here, or places like the Oade Board.  

what kind of money are you looking to spend?  don't forget to include what you can sell your current mics for in your kitty!  ;)

peace

~Scott

Offline blu666z

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 03:29:00 PM »
No offense taken.  I have only been in taping since the beginning of the year.  I didn' want to sink a lot of money into it at the onset in case I didn't enjoy it.  

As far as money, I don't have a lot to spend right now which is why I was thinking about the hyper caps.  I kinda habd in mind to take small steps up the ladder rather than a huge investment at once.  Maybe go to C1000 next....

Like I said I just started out and wanted to start cheap.  Which means I also started with a MiniDisc.  I have now put more money into a MD deck so I can do my own conversion.  I know I need to move up to DAT but since I haven't had to much aggravation caused my having to swap discs, I think my money is best spent on mics.

-Kevin

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 08:12:35 PM »
I would definately say you might be better off looking into a mic upgrade 1st.  You can pick-up the AKG 1000's for a relatively cheap price, plus you can run them off of a 9V.  You may also want to look into finding a used pair of Blue Line (AKG 390 series).

The most important component to build upon are your microphones.  As far as the minidisc thing goes, if you don't mind changing you discs more often,stick with it for now.  DAT will soon becoming more and more obsolete and you will find good deals on decks later on down the road.  

IMHO, once you settle on a pair of mics you like, build from there.

Dan

Offline blu666z

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 11:39:41 PM »
Will I be able to use my existing battery box?

-Kevin

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2003, 12:48:24 AM »
not in ALL circumstances, but most more high-end mics run off of 48v phantom power....this means an eco-charge(a little pricey) can handle all your needs...... ;D.....but back to your battery box, it depends on what you're running(mic/pre/a/d wise).......you could possibly get away w/ out having to buy another one......... ;D

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com