Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!  (Read 25646 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2020, 12:02:45 AM »
I have three tascam recorders, two I bought over the years, one given to me by a musician friend of mine.  None of the files produced by them are recognized by my windows 10 computer, the message is, the codec code from the Tascam is not recognized.  So i spend a couple days staring at a 2 inch screen, mixing tracks down on my DP-004, and now I can't transfer this file to my video editing software.  Nothing i have recognizes this file.  So i go on some websites selling Tascam recorders and read that DP-006 is good for windows 7, Vista and Windows 8.1 or something.  NOT 10.  WTF.  This is a complete ripoff.  Every update from windows 10, trying to stay ahead of Chinese and Russian hackers, is rendering a new category of Tascam products obsolete. 

If you are using these mini-computers to store information, you are an idiot.  Record through an audio interface and use a REAL computer to store files.  This is where everything is going, and fast.  Hardware can't keep up, and its like buying a horse and buggy, in the age of cars.  Tascam knows this, and is selling products which will not work in a couple years, if nothing else because of the constant updates of Windows software.   I say sue the fk out of them.  Tascam is dead.
Hi there and welcome to TS.

My quickie version for TL/DR is: Don't feel bad that the gear is junk, but DO be cautious and test gear before investing time into playing with data on it.

now for the troubleshooting portion:
You have three recorders? Are they all DP-004? Or do you have a DP-006? What is the third one?
What video editing software do you use?  (Do you know what audio file formats it is able to accept?)
What file format is visible on the storage medium when you plug it into a computer to read, or how does that work for the DP series? (I only own the DR70D from t'scam)
Have you tested the system to insure that that you could transfer a file, before doing important editing work on the machine? *(consider this workflow in the future)
Do you have access to a windows 7, vista, 8.1 machine, or a Mac or linux machine which you could try?

Oh here's a tascam-type problem:
Are you using media chosen from Tascam's list of acceptable memory cards? I started this thread because of the required specificity of the DR70D...
https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/35/dp-004_tested_media_list_r4_20130204.pdf

Good luck and you can PM me if you wanna chat in detail.

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2020, 02:40:50 PM »
.WAV file format support is universal
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »
I have three tascam recorders, two I bought over the years, one given to me by a musician friend of mine.  None of the files produced by them are recognized by my windows 10 computer, the message is, the codec code from the Tascam is not recognized.  So i spend a couple days staring at a 2 inch screen, mixing tracks down on my DP-004, and now I can't transfer this file to my video editing software.  Nothing i have recognizes this file.  So i go on some websites selling Tascam recorders and read that DP-006 is good for windows 7, Vista and Windows 8.1 or something.  NOT 10.  WTF.  This is a complete ripoff.  Every update from windows 10, trying to stay ahead of Chinese and Russian hackers, is rendering a new category of Tascam products obsolete. 

If you are using these mini-computers to store information, you are an idiot.  Record through an audio interface and use a REAL computer to store files.  This is where everything is going, and fast.  Hardware can't keep up, and its like buying a horse and buggy, in the age of cars.  Tascam knows this, and is selling products which will not work in a couple years, if nothing else because of the constant updates of Windows software.   I say sue the fk out of them.  Tascam is dead.

Considering that you haven't responded to any of the posts asking questions about your problem I suspect you are either embarrassed   about lack of knowledge or have used info to solve your problem. Hope you have put supplied info to  good use.
Melanie and Bob

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com