Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 104449 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
Versions before 1.13 are not stable and should be updated immediately.

So if the unit I have is 1.13 I should be good? I know 1.14 is brand new, any issues reported with that so far?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
Have not heard about any issus and the bug fixes in the changelog are worthy.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2016, 04:41:40 AM »
Ive run 1.14 for 2 Phish shows, and a few other things, and also ran battery runtimes for MANY hours with v1.14, and Ive not had a SINGLE issue so far ;D 8) Its been a SOLID deck for me, even since last year when I got my 1st one and bought good PNY SD cards for it. Ive run v1.14 with my newest 70d and my new 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card[approved list] and I couldn't be any happier at the moment! Best $150 Ive EVER spent on taping gear by far ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2016, 05:00:33 AM »
Stupid questions that have probably been asked on here before but I'm still not clear on.

I've been running a DR60 for a couple of years and have that down cold. Pulled my 70 that I bought a few months ago out last night, stuffed a card into it and test recorded for a couple of hours on internal mics just to make sure the card played nice. That's all I've had time to do and I'm thinking about running it for a show tonight and won't have time to do a lot of testing. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1. Card formatted almost instantly. Took forever to format in the 60. Did I do something wrong?
2. Not sure which firmware is on there. Any reason I shouldn't (or should) update to 1.14 before I roll tonight?
3. I notice phantom is through the menu rather than physical switches like the 60. Any other major differences anyone can clue me in on to help with the learning curve?
4. Not planning on using them tonight (or maybe ever), but what's the opinion on the internal mics?

Should have been playing with this more rather that trying to get up to steam in a production environment, but its been a roller coaster year so far. Any quick tips are welcomed. Thanks, Dan

My new 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card only takes about 30 seconds to ERASE FORMAT too, just like you mentioned! IMO, that means its a great card for the 70d and things are GOOD! Seems to me when the 70D takes forever to do the Erase Format, it seems like the card is slow or it doesn't jive well with the 70d!

I'm soooo glad that ALL of the 70d issues seemed to be worked out for everyone! I'd bet the farm that more and more tapirs start to trust the 70d, and will push sales up hopefully! I just wish Tascam had a better seal on the screen, because I'm sick of dust/dirt/lint getting under my screen! I have thought about gluing something around the screen on the black part of the 70D around the screen enclosure, but its prob not worth the effort or risk of me screwing it up and making it worse lol ;) Like I said above, its the best deal ever IMO on a deck! 4x XLR/1/4" Combo INS that actually sound pretty damn decent and writes up to 128gb SD cards, AND has the ability to do the safety recording at a lower level in case the main channels clip! Pretty cool feature if you ask me!

Anyway, did any of you guys check out my COMP from this past Sunday recording Traffic & Thunder? Id love to know what yinz guys think regarding the 70D preamps vs. my Schoeps VMS02IB KCY preamp recording louder stuff like traffic from about 25'-30' away. The noise certainly isn't as noticeable as it was when I was recording just birds at dawn[I already posted those samples last month]. The VMS02IB is DEF more quiet than the 70D preamps[as heard from the Birds/Nature recording I did last month. Also, the VMS02IB cost me around $900 including the custom BNC>Rt Angle Stubby XLRs I had made, so it BETTER be more quiet than my $150 70D preamps haha ;D But I think that it shows for louder material, the 70D preamps are MORE than adequate for concert taping. I fluff the 70d so much, Tascam should start paying me or giving me gear to try/test/keep lol ;D

Here's the link to the Traffic/Thunder samples. Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xuygpy4fzv38b/Tascam_DR-70D_%26_Schoeps_VMS02IB_Preamp_COMP_Traffic_%26_Thunder_%5Bmk4_%26_mk41%5D

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:35 PM »
I'm drawing a blank here. Need help.
Where are the directions found for loading the latest firmware onto the deck?  When I went from the original to 1.13, I recall that there was an instruction sheet provided.  Now, all I find is firmware revision notes, and the 1.14 d/l, which I've done. But I cannot open the firmware, nor, find an instruction sheet.

Never mind,... I found the old procedure sheet in a buried folder on my computer.

Old people and computers,.... what could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:00:41 PM by m0k3 »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2016, 04:18:23 AM »
I'm drawing a blank here. Need help.
Where are the directions found for loading the latest firmware onto the deck?  When I went from the original to 1.13, I recall that there was an instruction sheet provided.  Now, all I find is firmware revision notes, and the 1.14 d/l, which I've done. But I cannot open the firmware, nor, find an instruction sheet.

Never mind,... I found the old procedure sheet in a buried folder on my computer.

Old people and computers,.... what could possibly go wrong?

Here's the link for others, M0k3 :)

Firmware Update Procedure :)
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rn_vb.pdf

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »
OK, successful test run Friday night. Two impressions: I do not like having to turn on phantom power through the menu. I much prefer the physical switches on the 60. But I guess with the smaller form factor, something has to give. That being said, if the level meters are accurate, I much prefer them to the 60. A whole lot easier to read.

Maybe someone can help me with this: what is the proper way to send output to a camcorder from only one set of mics when you are recording 4 channels with 2 sets of mics? I've go through the menus and under "monitor", the only option is "mix". On the 60, you could set it to "mix", "1-2", "3-4" etc.

Am I stuck with "mix" or maybe this is being caused by me having the record mode set incorrectly, or what? Any ideas?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
Sorry, you can't do a custom monitor mix on the 70D; it's a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  See Known Issues in the FAQ.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
Sorry, you can't do a custom monitor mix on the 70D; it's a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  See Known Issues in the FAQ.

Thanks Volt. I take it that would go for the camera out jack as well? There does appear to be a setting for "cam" which I assume has something to do with the output level?

I guess I'll just have to use the output as a scratch track and then use Plural Eyes in post. Dammit  :smash: lol.

Maybe they will fix that in a future firmware update in the future. I did update mine to 1.14 prior to use. That was a fairly painless process.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
CAM knocks the output level down -30dB compared to line level.  Although the line out is adjustable, so I'm not really sure if the CAM level is -30 from whatever you set your line output level to, or if it's simply -30 dB, period.  I don't own a camera with an extremal audio jack to test this.

To make your life easier in post, you might want to record some slate tones at the beginning and end of the concert next time.  You'd need to do that anyway to set a good level for your camera (again, see FAQ).

I actually prefer phantom to be a software control, but I with the menu structure overall wasn't so convoluted.  The manual makes you really hunt for what you need also.  I made the menu quick reference in the FAQ for myself as much as everyone else.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »
CAM knocks the output level down -30dB compared to line level.  Although the line out is adjustable, so I'm not really sure if the CAM level is -30 from whatever you set your line output level to, or if it's simply -30 dB, period.  I don't own a camera with an extremal audio jack to test this.

To make your life easier in post, you might want to record some slate tones at the beginning and end of the concert next time.  You'd need to do that anyway to set a good level for your camera (again, see FAQ).

I actually prefer phantom to be a software control, but I with the menu structure overall wasn't so convoluted.  The manual makes you really hunt for what you need also.  I made the menu quick reference in the FAQ for myself as much as everyone else.
if it is like the 60 then it is -30 from the start/finish points.
I can't recall off the top of my head but let's say the lowest/highest line out is -40/0db then the lowest cam out is -70/-30db
For me the cam out on the 60 was still hot and I had to drop it down along with the input on my cam.
If you are a big video person you will most likely pref the 60 overall based on options IMO
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:51:39 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. For most of the video I do, I have a SBD feed to my M10 (then room mics to the 60 or 70) so I adjust the output of the M10's headphone jack with the volume control (crude, but works) to match the input I need for the camcorder.

I guess a little trial and error is in order for the 70........Thanks again!!

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
I finally broke down and bought a DR-70 during the Adorama sale. I upgraded to FW 1.14 as soon as I got it out of the box and spent a week getting comfortable with the menu system and performing test recordings around the house. Got the 20,000Ah Ebay battery and an angled USB cable that fits like it was designed for this setup. Bought the Amazon Basics camera case (I think this will work perfectly) and I'm almost finished building some chopped mic cables.

I spent a week reading through this thread before I pulled the trigger. Many thanks to everyone who helped suss out the card issues and other idiosyncrasies, especially voltronic.

I'm gonna let Hayes Carll break in this deck on Wednesday!
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline voltronic

« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
 :coolguy:

As long as you can deal with the quirks, I think you'll be very happy with the 70D.  As I've said several times, I'm sticking with mine until I can afford a 788, or maybe the F8 if it proves to be worthy for classical recording over the long term.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
I've been using the DR-44WL for the last year, it has many of the same issues as the 70D. The 44WL is just as picky about what cards you feed it- write errors and glitchy recordings. I've been using an approved 32G card in the 44WL with no problems. The same card appears on the 70D list so I moved it from the 44WL to the 70D, performed the Erase Format and let it write until it was full-- 24/96, 4 channels @P48 with no discrepancies noted. I always backed-up the 44WL with an M10 and will likely do the same with the 70D, at least until my confidence is higher.

Still saving for an F8 though...
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com