Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125341 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2016, 04:17:22 PM »
It sounds like the same issue that comes up every so often with decks that prematurely shut down due to power interruption.  If the unit isn't shut down properly, the unit doesn't write the file header properly.  The file was present on the SD card, but the computer would show it with a 0gb file size (since that information is apparently part of the file header information).   

Somewhere along in the post-processing/software forum, there's a link to a program someone wrote that fixes the file header.  I tried using it several times, but I was never successful in having it fix a file that was messed up.  Others reported success.  Might be worth a try.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of the software but seems like it has the words 'file header' in the name...or at least that's in the thread subject title.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2016, 04:34:31 PM »
Yeah, lesson learned ...I'm going to revert to having backup AAs in the battery sled.
I learned a long time ago that if a deck can auto switch power sources, you MUST always have batteries in the  bay to prevent such losses. While I hate having AA's either rechargeable or single use, it is a necessity.  I have had this save my As* even when using a wall wort  power suppliy and the power glitches. Digital mixing boards shut down, the main house PA is out, but band keeps on playhing on, and my pair of mics keeps recording.
As we used to say back in the day: "Waste Tape Not Music"  in this case waste batteries not files.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
Yeah, lesson learned ...I'm going to revert to having backup AAs in the battery sled.
I learned a long time ago that if a deck can auto switch power sources, you MUST always have batteries in the  bay to prevent such losses. While I hate having AA's either rechargeable or single use, it is a necessity.  I have had this save my As* even when using a wall wort  power suppliy and the power glitches. Digital mixing boards shut down, the main house PA is out, but band keeps on playhing on, and my pair of mics keeps recording.
As we used to say back in the day: "Waste Tape Not Music"  in this case waste batteries not files.

--Ian

Funny because I was just thinking something similar last night when I was taping a band that went on a bit late.  I'd been rolling for something like 45 minutes and they still hadn't gone on but I was like, no big deal to me because I have plenty of juice and plenty of memory on my SD cards.  I don't necessarily need to be standing at my unit to press play as soon as they take the stage.  Course I had my bluetooth app rolling anyway, so I can start it rolling from the app, but the reason I started rolling early in the first place is that I had to take a leak and didn't want the show to start while I was in the can.

I always have both the hirose and rear 12v cables connected to separate batteries.  One of the great features of the Zoom F8 is the three different ways you can power it.  Might as well take advantage of it.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »
Steve are you running tekkeon on both inputs?

stevetoney

« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »
Steve are you running tekkeon on both inputs?

Yes.

One of the tips that came with the Tekkeon's fits that rear 12v jack nice and snug. 

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
Looks like the new orca and portabrace bags are shipping. I don't like the open top or I'd go with the orca.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Maybe not best place to post this but ...

Last night, recording Drive-By Truckers, I had a power issue that was triggered by someone spilling a drink on my gear. Now I have a corrupt file. It won't open in Audacity or Sound Studio but VLC (a Mac application) will play it, so the data is there.

What can I do to repair the file?

Had the same thing happen to me recently. Not beer spilling on the deck though it had a power down of machine before file was written. So no header and file would not open in audio Software.

Used fixwav.exe to fix it and it DID! Yahoo!

Here is the link:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0

Simple program...it asks you like 3 qestions then tries and write the header file. MAKE SURE you make a backup of that file due to the Software writes over it.

Good luck.
Let us know if it works.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
sorry if this was covered before: I just picked up the Anker Astro Pro 2 for my F8 -- does anyone know what the shutdown voltage for this battery should be set to? Thanks

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »
Maybe not best place to post this but ...

Last night, recording Drive-By Truckers, I had a power issue that was triggered by someone spilling a drink on my gear. Now I have a corrupt file. It won't open in Audacity or Sound Studio but VLC (a Mac application) will play it, so the data is there.

What can I do to repair the file?

I've had success with this issue by opening it in CD Wave Editor (the program a lot of people use for track splits) and resaving as direct WAV. It writes a new header then you are off and running.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Got all my custom cables for the new f8 setup from Ted today. Wow! Loving this setup!

I was always concerned about 1/4 inputs for line in since I run external pres. Dut damn these chopped right angle 1/4" cables are fantastic!

What voltage is everyone running on external inputs? I plan on runnin a switchable Telekom on both inputs. Is it more efficient to run it at 9v?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »
You should at least try the built in preamps. I run 12v with my tekkeon with cut off at 9v.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2016, 09:48:37 PM »
I'm assuming I have to do 12v to run both external do inputs? I've been digging through tonedeafs manual finally

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2016, 03:44:22 AM »
Ted hooked me up right! So happy with this setup. Trial run tonight at home. All went smooth.

My bad setup. V3 on stilts and everything else attached with velcro.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:45:53 AM by caymanreview »

stevetoney

« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »
Yes, all those RA are awesome.  I love that setup Dustin.  Great job Ted!

Dustin, as far as your question about 9V vs 12V, as mentioned previously in this thread I've been connecting two Tekkeon's whenever I use my F8; one on the rear 12V jack and one on the hirose.  I love the redundant power options on the F8, so I make sure and have at least one backup power source active whenever I use my F8.  I have the shutdown voltage set for a 9V Tekkeon setting on the hirose, but for local shows I just set both of my Tekkeon's at 12V since the runtime I get from either battery always exceeds the length of the show.  Setting them both at 12V is simpler since I don't need to figure out which power cable is which. 

For festivals, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I think I might set the Tekkeon at 9V from the hirose and leave the rear jack disconnected, but put AAs in the sled as my backup power source.  That way I can get the longest run times from my Tekkeons.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:30:30 AM by tonedeaf »

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of using the hirose connector over the simpler center-pin power connector?  I get that hirose is a more durable "pro" connector, but does that input allow a greater range of voltages?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com