Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M. Ward/Jim James recording fixes, need help!  (Read 1703 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
M. Ward/Jim James recording fixes, need help!
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:53:25 AM »
First off, i wasn't sure if this should go in here, or "Computer Recording Help", hopefully it's fine here.

So last night, I went and saw a pretty amazing show at sxsw. M Ward, and Jim James (My Morning Jacket) played a show at a church in downtown Austin, and to make a long story short, i somehow managed to convince the sxsw staff guy at the door to let me into the show that was already at capacity, and had a huge line of people that had been waiting for 3 hours... with my recording gear.

So I have a whole slew of questions to ask. I normally am taping loud rock shows, that NEVER have the dynamic range as this show did. I added 30db of gain on my CA STC-9000 preamp, which at first, didn't even seem like enough gain since the show was pretty much two acoustic electric guitars, and the pa for the vocal mics. But there were a couple times in the show where they played much louder, creating a huge variation in my recording volume.

I attached a link to a zip file with 4 sample clips of some of my problems.

Some of my questions...

1)Since there are places in the show that get real loud (actually, a few times it clipped, nothing i could do about it), but the dynamic range is so wide, would you personally artificially boost the quiet songs a few db, or just let the listener turn up the volume?

2) I'd say there are also a handful of times where you can hear people taking pictures during the show, I have figured out the frequency for one of the point and shoot cameras, so now i can just notch filter those out, but there is also someone who takes some photos from an SLR that i just can't figure out what frequency its coming from. One of the audio files in the zip is a camera click from the show.

3) There was a time during M Wards set, where he started going really nuts on his guitar, like some serious strumming, and my recording clips some for a few seconds. When i listen back, I can't tell if the buzzing/humming noise if from the clipping, the sound created by the pickup in the guitar, or a little of both. I remember it sounding pretty buzzy sounding at the show for those few seconds, so i am not sure if this is something i should try to fix, just for listening purposes, or leave be. Also, could anyone give me some suggestions on how to smooth out the clipping a little if possible in Audacity?

4)Someone drops their purse right in front of me during the show, and i was wondering what the best way to cut this out without effecting the music? There really isnt a ton of guitar being played when it happens, so maybe i could just envelope it a little to reduce the drop volume, but i wanted to hear if anyone had any ways i could cut this out a little better.

The last clip in the zip file is a longer sample of the last song, which features a quieter part, a louder part that almost peaks, and then really loud clapping that clips a bunch. There are even parts of the show that get a good bit quieter than the first part of this sample. Do you think i should add a few db in post on the quiet songs, and leave the ones that start quiet and get louder alone, or just not mess with them at all? Also, what do you suggest i do with the clapping? I don't mind it being loud, just not that loud maybe. Use a hard limiter in Audacity and turn the residue level up some?

Thanks for any help. I know this is kind of a thorough post, but I would really appreciate any help i can get.

If you are wondering, I used Church Audio cardiods when recording this show. It might sound a little echo-y, but it was a big ol' church with really high ceilings. 

thanks!

josh

ZIP LINK....

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzmj2lyaxgn

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
Re: M. Ward/Jim James recording fixes, need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
do the hard clap test at home, rec clap close to mics at home .
watch your rec display, know your clip clap level next time and use that setting as a reference level.

you should be able to dial something in that will be more accurate to dynamics than the level you
chose

fixes -- amplyfy- reduce- cut outs- filter work. -- what it needs you know best.

can fix attitude will fix something if not all .
good luck with future captures with j.james.

g

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
do the hard clap test at home, rec clap close to mics at home .
watch your rec display, know your clip clap level next time and use that setting as a reference level.

you should be able to dial something in that will be more accurate to dynamics than the level you
chose

fixes -- amplyfy- reduce- cut outs- filter work. -- what it needs you know best.

can fix attitude will fix something if not all .
good luck with future captures with j.james.

g

well, i don't really care that the clapping was clipping, if i would have had it so the clapping didn't clip, the music would be so quiet you probably wouldn't be able to hear it. The music was very quiet, and at the end of each song, the audience went nuts.

thanks for the other suggestions too, any more are also welcome.

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »
nice that you taped these guys... here are my humble opinions on the questions you asked...

1)Since there are places in the show that get real loud (actually, a few times it clipped, nothing i could do about it), but the dynamic range is so wide, would you personally artificially boost the quiet songs a few db, or just let the listener turn up the volume?

I'd say with a dynamic range like that, I would definitely do a bit of dynamic compression and/or normalizing. it becomes a mission for the listener and yourself to have to adjust levels all the time. compress up to a point where you are happy of the balance between the music and applause.

2) I'd say there are also a handful of times where you can hear people taking pictures during the show, I have figured out the frequency for one of the point and shoot cameras, so now i can just notch filter those out, but there is also someone who takes some photos from an SLR that i just can't figure out what frequency its coming from. One of the audio files in the zip is a camera click from the show.

not that serious to me....

3) There was a time during M Wards set, where he started going really nuts on his guitar, like some serious strumming, and my recording clips some for a few seconds. When i listen back, I can't tell if the buzzing/humming noise if from the clipping, the sound created by the pickup in the guitar, or a little of both. I remember it sounding pretty buzzy sounding at the show for those few seconds, so i am not sure if this is something i should try to fix, just for listening purposes, or leave be. Also, could anyone give me some suggestions on how to smooth out the clipping a little if possible in Audacity?

there is very little one can do with audio distortion/clipping. its possible that is was the PA [especially if you think it was] which happens more often than people think.

4)Someone drops their purse right in front of me during the show, and i was wondering what the best way to cut this out without effecting the music? There really isnt a ton of guitar being played when it happens, so maybe i could just envelope it a little to reduce the drop volume, but i wanted to hear if anyone had any ways i could cut this out a little better.

The last clip in the zip file is a longer sample of the last song, which features a quieter part, a louder part that almost peaks, and then really loud clapping that clips a bunch. There are even parts of the show that get a good bit quieter than the first part of this sample. Do you think i should add a few db in post on the quiet songs, and leave the ones that start quiet and get louder alone, or just not mess with them at all? Also, what do you suggest i do with the clapping? I don't mind it being loud, just not that loud maybe. Use a hard limiter in Audacity and turn the residue level up some?

if you can alter the purse sound and make it less obvious thats a job well done I'd say. I think you have the right idea. Alternatively you could re-shape the wave file with the pencil tool to take out the unwanted noise.

once again, I'd normalize the entire show with a bit of compression. just do a few trial and error's until you're happy. I really think you should compress it all, especially if the clapping is peaking and the music pretty low.

thanks again for taping. i look forward to hearing this show sometime.
take it easy wolfattack....

bhakti  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com