Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Belden 1504a  (Read 6749 times)

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Belden 1504a
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:09 PM »
I picked up 50 ft of this to try out for a perm install at a local club.  I like the foil shield and the fact thats its paired already so its gonna be easy and low pro to hang. 

This is next to some old 18AWG teflon cable that i made a few years ago.

here are the spec's on the 1504a
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: Belden 1504a
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
This is the cable is use for the new Chameleon line of cables.
i really like it!!!!
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
I picked up 50 ft of this to try out for a perm install at a local club.  I like the foil shield and the fact thats its paired already so its gonna be easy and low pro to hang. 

Very nice.  Is there a way to get less than 1000' of that?  I'd love to get some!

By the way, if you want a similar "siamese" cable with braid shield, try Mogami 3106.  I think that is the number.  I've used this in quite a few cables.  Keeping the channels together is great.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:58:24 PM »
is this silver?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline momule

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »

Very nice.  Is there a way to get less than 1000' of that?  I'd love to get some!

By the way, if you want a similar "siamese" cable with braid shield, try Mogami 3106.  I think that is the number.  I've used this in quite a few cables.  Keeping the channels together is great.

Richard

I purchased mine (by the foot) from these guys

This is copper cable.  I couldn't justify putting silver clad 1804a in a permanent install.   For the price vs size I think this cable is gonna be hard to beat.  I'm hoping the copper will warm things up a bit naturally as this club is not the best sounding joint by any means.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »
How durable is that foil compared to a braid when cables are repeatedly coiled and bent like in the field?

Not doubting, just asking because I have no experience with foil except in permanent installations.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
If anyone knows another source (or are willing to sell me some), please let me know.  Those guys won't ship to Canada.

As for foil vs braid, I think foil would be ok for short cables (patch cords, etc), but I wouldn't trust it for long runs, repeatedly unwinding and (figure eight) rewinding, like us taper geeks are prone to do.  Also, if you're running along floors, using it to hang the mics, etc, I can imagine wear would add up.

Did any of you folks look at Mogami 3106 "siamese" cable?  This is like a thick "lamp cord", black, and very easy to work with.  Braided shield, two conductors inside.  I've made a couple of cables with this.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting pair of cables that have the look, feel and size of the actives for my Neumann's.  Any ideas?

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »
is this for Knuckleheads??
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »

yup.  I will be building the cables this weekend and may try to hang it in the next couple weeks. 

Offline momule

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting pair of cables that have the look, feel and size of the actives for my Neumann's.  Any ideas?

That would be Belden 1804a.  quad silver clad mic cable.  Ive been running it exclusively for 3-4 years now.

Here is one of the 4 pairs of "Phatcables" i have made for Boa.

Here is one with mini XLR's for His chopped NAk's

Here are a couple pics of the pair I'm running now compared to a single strand of 18ga teflon stuff.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »

yup.  I will be building the cables this weekend and may try to hang it in the next couple weeks. 

Nice, I'll have a look next time I'm down there...
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
What I'm trying to do is make it so that Frank (owner) has no concerns about us blocking others views with the stands/cables (hence the clamp thread) And to make it so we have the sweet spot permanently.  Simply clamp you mics to the center pole where the "C" clamp will be and plug the xlr's straight into your pre/recorder.  They will be run to the back of the house so that we are out of the way and odds are there will always be an open spot for our gear just next to the SBD.  I'm also (i think) gonna donate a pair of Behringers mics that I have that are very small and don't sound too bad at all And maybe run them through his stage snake back to the SBD.  That way we can permanently leave them at the very front pole so that Pete (sound guy) can mix them with the AT shotguns he uses from The FOH location.  Or if worse case scenario if the other spot is filled we can run the Behringers through the SBD. 

here is a pic of the Behringers  for size reference

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Tiny little guys those C-2's are!  I rarely ever tape inside, it's just so much of a clusterfuck in there.  But now, maybe not so much after you run those lines ;D.  I love taping outside though, my one pull there sounded very good!  +T for taking the initiative and the (possible) donation.  Why is he using mics up at the front??  Is he recording as well??
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:54:28 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
Tiny little guys those C-2's are!  I rarely ever tape inside, it's just so much of a clusterfuck in there.  But now, maybe not so much after you run those lines ;D.  I love taping outside though, my one pull there sounded very good!  +T for taking the initiative and the (possible) donation.  Why is he using mics up at the front??  Is he recording as well??

Currently He only runs a pair of AT 835 shotguns that are placed just above the SBD.  Which eliminates some of the crowd.  but they are very thin sounding even when mixed with the board feed.  So we were talking when I was down for the Zito show and we both think a small pair of condensers placed up at the front pole would give a little better ambiance and a pretty good upfront presence sound so he could blend with the SBD.  He records sometimes straight to CD but as we all know there are flips with that so he rarely gets a whole show.  Jason and i even thought about donating a DAT player that he could rack mount with the rest of his gear so we could get full tapes.  But Im not sure he really wants to mess with it. 
He slides me a few CD's here and there which don't sound all that bad really for a quick mix.   Im hoping to improve on that. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com