Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB Immediate digital camera  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Rleeee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Lets Dance, Sylvia, Dance!
TSKB Immediate digital camera
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
I'm looking for an intermediate digital camera, like the Canon PhotoShot S5 SI.  Has anyone had any experience with these "in between" cameras, something better than a point and shot, but not as complex as a DSLR?
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Kind Kables Chameleon > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Concert Mod)

No Stand:  AT831s > CA Bat 2B Battery Box > Tascam DR-07 

" Poor people need MUISC too! "

stirinthesauce

Re: TSKB Immediate digital camera
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:51 AM »
Well, you have point and shoots and DSLR's.  No real in between.  As for DSLR's, there are entry level, intermediate, prosumer and pro cams. 

If you can work a p&s, then you can operate a entry level dslr since those can be used as a point and shoot in auto mode. 

What do you want your camera to do?  Take snapshots or do you want something for low light concert photog or do you want something to use for sports or do you want something for landscapes?

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »
I agree with the Sauce, you shouldn't have any trouble operating a DSLR.  It's only as complex as you want it to be... it can do auto-everything like like a point-and-shoot, but as you learn what you're doing, you can start doing things manually to achieve certain results. 

Cameras like the S5 IS are marketed as being intermediate cameras, and aside from the impressive zoom ranges, the ability to use manual exposure modes, and a few bells and whistles, image quality isn't much better than other compacts because they use the same tiny sensors.  They produce a lot of noise in low light conditions as a result.  Still, the S5 is a good camera at a decent price, and playing around with it for a few months can help you figure out where you want to go next.  I used a Canon G7 for a while until I realized I needed a DSLR to create the kind of images I wanted.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Rleeee

• Taperssection Regular
  • Lets Dance, Sylvia, Dance!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »
Thanks for your time guys.
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Kind Kables Chameleon > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Concert Mod)

No Stand:  AT831s > CA Bat 2B Battery Box > Tascam DR-07 

" Poor people need MUISC too! "

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
I'll second what has been said previously.  The higher end P&S cameras just end up being frustrating for me.  To really access the more advanced controls it's just so much easier on a DSLR.  With the high end P&S camera you get all the complexity of a DSLR and none of the benefits.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 04:49:15 AM »
What do you want your camera to do?  Take snapshots or do you want something for low light concert photog or do you want something to use for sports or do you want something for landscapes?
(mild threadjack!)
I would very much appreciate some suggestions/recommendations for a digital camera.

I don't care about sports or landscapes, but I want to be able to shoot low-light concerts. I'm willing to consider a DSLR if that's what it takes to get the best results. I'm not scared of complexity, but I do plan to take it to shows a lot, and it's gonna get bumped around and traveled with.

Would an older model take good enough shots and be a better value? I am having a really hard time comparing cameras on line, and even in stores, cause I can't take 'em to shows and see what they do under real conditions.  I had a Pentax Optio-S (3MP) tiny digital for a couple years and actually was pretty happy with the results, but I know I can do better if I have a better camera. I mostly want to be able to post pix on line, since I almost never print shots, but I guess if they were good enough quality, maybe I would print a few, or use them for "tape covers."

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:50:56 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:48 AM »
(mild threadjack!)
I would very much appreciate some suggestions/recommendations for a digital camera.

I don't care about sports or landscapes, but I want to be able to shoot low-light concerts. I'm willing to consider a DSLR if that's what it takes to get the best results. I'm not scared of complexity, but I do plan to take it to shows a lot, and it's gonna get bumped around and traveled with.

Would an older model take good enough shots and be a better value? I am having a really hard time comparing cameras on line, and even in stores, cause I can't take 'em to shows and see what they do under real conditions.  I had a Pentax Optio-S (3MP) tiny digital for a couple years and actually was pretty happy with the results, but I know I can do better if I have a better camera. I mostly want to be able to post pix on line, since I almost never print shots, but I guess if they were good enough quality, maybe I would print a few, or use them for "tape covers."

Thanks.

There are several recent threads in this section that offer up pretty good advice for a good camera for shooting concerts.  IMO it pretty much need to go the DSLR route to get the best results.  Have a read through those threads and you should come away with pretty good recommendations

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
There are several recent threads in this section that offer up pretty good advice for a good camera for shooting concerts.  IMO it pretty much need to go the DSLR route to get the best results.  Have a read through those threads and you should come away with pretty good recommendations
I did that last night. Sounds like a carefully used body and fast glass is the answer. (Bodies depreciate rapidly, due to technology changing, wear-and-tear on shutter, and dust grinding down the exposed ccd. . . good glass tends to hold its value). Just wondering if I have outgrown point-and-shoot, and it sounds like that's the case. Thanks. [ /threadjack ]
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
Most important for low light concert photography is fast glass (f2.8 or better).  Number two is to have a back that can go to a minimum of iso 1600.  Used market is ripe right now for picking up quality dslr backs.  20d's for 400-500, 30d's for 500-600, xt's for sub 400 and xti's for 400 range.  Not familiar with nikon used market.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »
Most important for low light concert photography is fast glass (f2.8 or better).  Number two is to have a back that can go to a minimum of iso 1600.  Used market is ripe right now for picking up quality dslr backs.  20d's for 400-500, 30d's for 500-600, xt's for sub 400 and xti's for 400 range.  Not familiar with nikon used market.

The best buy in the Nikon market right now is the D200.  Nice examples can be found in the $800 range.  I use one all the time for concert stuff and it is a great camera.  The D80 would be Nikon's other good choice for concert shooting and they do not seem to be as popular so you don;t see many used D80s come up for sale.  The D300 really knocked the bottom out of D200 prices.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com