Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: minime homebrew battery questions  (Read 9247 times)

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
minime homebrew battery questions
« on: December 04, 2003, 11:51:19 PM »
so my buddy has this minime but no battery solution for it and won't shell out for the ecocharge stuff so i offered to build him a cheap SLA system.  however, since this is not my minime, i want to be extra careful conisdering some of the fire stories from Daryan ;).  

my question is what type of fuse should i put on this thing?  From the previous fuses thread i have gathered that amp hour ratings are meaningless in determining fuses.  from apogee's website it says that it's power consumption is 5.5W so....

5.5W / 12V  = 0.458A

so should i go for a 0.5A fuse or should i use a little larger amp rated fuse, say 0.75A?

also, preferably this has to be operational by saturday for denson, anyone know any other nationwide stores besides radioshack that might have 12V batteries and chargers?

thanks!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:minime homebrew battery questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 12:05:54 AM »
Battery's plus

is it a rev c? if so it can run on 6v
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 02:09:30 AM »
>> however, since this is not my minime, i want to be extra careful conisdering some of >>the fire stories from Daryan ;).  

good idea!! you don't want to shell out $$ if you fry the damn thing.

>>my question is what type of fuse should i put on this thing?  From the previous fuses >>thread i have gathered that amp hour ratings are meaningless in determining fuses.  >>from apogee's website it says that it's power consumption is 5.5W so....
>>5.5W / 12V  = 0.458A
>>so should i go for a 0.5A fuse or should i use a little larger amp rated fuse, say 0.75A?

750mA sounds adequate and it gives you some room slightly above 500mA.  i recommend fast blow fuses as well.  i'm trying to convince few folks that 500mA is NOT a small amount of current!!  it's useless to stick a 5A fuse on a device that draws only about 10th of that amount.

>>also, preferably this has to be operational by saturday for denson, anyone know any other nationwide stores besides radioshack that might have 12V batteries and chargers?

you may want to go through your Yellow pages and/or internet and find some hobby stores in your area, expecially the ones that carry remote control cars boat, cars, etc.

they usually carry SLA, chargers and wiring harnesses, etc.  

double and triple check your DC plug's polarity with a Voltmeter of some sort. feeding opposite polarity voltage is never good to delicate electronics.

if you're not comfortable with soldering, use good crimping tools, decent guage wiring and heat shrinks.

good luck. it's not too difficult!!
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 03:04:03 AM »
i'm not sure if it's a rev c or not, i know it was purchased about 1 year ago if that is any indication, i know he has the manual and everything, but i will have to ask him.  thanks for the advice! +T

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 08:41:44 AM »
Just don't reverse the polarity, as the protection circuit in there is pretty bad and will burn up!

D

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 09:52:15 AM »
I'd guess it is Rev C is he got it last fall and not last summer. It will be obviosu when you look at the serial number what version it is
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 10:40:46 AM »
and what color is the casing?

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 10:51:37 AM »
Just to throw another option out there:

I'm using 9.6v RC battery packs  just like many UA5 users.  I get about 3 hours out of a 1600 mah battery pack.  Much lighter than an SLA.  I believe the directions are in the archival section.

Rusty

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 11:15:56 AM »
It's the volt fuse rating that isn't terribly important, not amps.  As long as you're below the voltage rating, you're all set.  I think I use a 15v on mine for my 6v V3 battery setup.

Check this related post for Archival Info links.

As you'll see, per Apogee tech, the MMe draws around 800 mA peak, so I'd go with a 1A fuse, not 750 mA.

Check your local non-RS electronics stores for parts.  I actually found my 6v SLAs at Home Depot - labelled "CAUTION: for home alarm system only".  Well, sheesh...it's just an SLA, has lots of uses!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 02:15:21 PM »
my rev c was in black casing... I don't think that means shit

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 03:07:40 PM »
No, I had a C and it was black. the first C's were black and not silver. Callery got himself a collector's item

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 03:12:38 PM »
tha'ts what i'm saying...C's could be silver or black, but A's are all black...so if you get a silver one, it has to be a C.

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 04:30:10 PM »
ahhhhhh

sorry

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 04:39:00 PM »
DICK!

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 04:54:15 PM »
i'm not sure if it's a rev c or not, i know it was purchased about 1 year ago if that is any indication, i know he has the manual and everything, but i will have to ask him.  thanks for the advice! +T

it's Louies. No, not RevC. It can only work on 12v power.
It was one of the first units shipped - he was on the waiting list from sonicsense when he got it. It's been collecting dust since then (summer 02). I used it this year at High Sierra because I was not careful with my ad2k+.
Kinda embarassing, but since we're on the subject i'll share.
Hooked my battery up backwards at steve kimock - i got there late, it was dark and i was rushed.
Although the fuse in the 2k SHOULD HAVE blown, it did  not. I had to send it in to get repaird, it was all covered on warranty cuz it SHOUDLA blown but didn't.
So i got it back, but i was forced to MME it for hi sierra.

word of advice: Proceed w/ caution
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com