Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Total Playback Newb, seeking wisdom  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
Re: Total Playback Newb, seeking wisdom
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
also...
go demo gear.  go to a tweeter (they have martin logan, jmlabs/focal / sonus faber...among others).

another recommendation would be the Cambridge audio integrated amps.  they sound very decent and would make for a pleasing starter system.

dont listen to the Logans first though.  way too infectious and nothing measures up to them (on certain levels).

Tweeter does not deal with Sumiko (Sounus Faber and Vienna Acoustics distributor) so no SF.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
ah well.
they used to.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »

then just pick your speaker flavor.
what do you want out of your system ?
total accuracy of what you feed it ?

Yeah, pretty much. Looking for as neutral a speaker as possible, at least at first.

Thanks everyone, I've got some reading to do, but I will bump this thread when I have more questions.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »

I'd like to add one more thing:  when you audition gear, take some material you recorded with your rig and that you have listened to many times.

In my case, DPA4023 and MK41 sourced tapes sound good with my current playback system (VSA VR4jr and CJ gear) but MK4 sourced tapes tend toward lifeless.  Neumann and AKG sound very good, sometimes more appealing than the DPAs. When I was using Thiels with CJ, the Neumann and AKG tapes leaned toward bright, DPA and MK41 were sweet and the MK4 tapes sounded less dark than with my current speakers.  Best case is you audition for a week in the room where you expect to use the system.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com