Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sub placement in a 2 channel system?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sub placement in a 2 channel system?
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
Inside the stacks or outside ;D

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Sub placement in a 2 channel system?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
inside. dfc if possible.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
so right alongside the cabinet that the amp, etc. is in. that would be as close to dfc as possible.

my integrated amp has a left and right pre/sub out. i'm assuming the sub has the same going in. if not just use a splitter down to single input on either end?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
When I ran a sub for music listening, I tried mine in a variety of places.  The only location with which I was pleased:  dead center.  If you have the flexibility, I found depth of the sub relative to the speaker array also made a difference.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
yeah, use a "y" adapter from amp>sub if needed.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »
I would definatly recomend inside the stacks, but instead of dead center, try 1/3.    Most papers suggest 1/3 have a less room modes and more even response...  The only reason I would put the sub dead center is so localization of the sub is less noticeable.  Bass is omni derectional, but the resonances of the cabinet are not.  A good sub shouldn't have this problem, so 1/3 is the way to go IMO.....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
If you have the flexibility, I found depth of the sub relative to the speaker array also made a difference.

in what way? In other words, closer to the front edge of the array brought you...

I have time to kill today, maybe I'll play around with my sub placement a bit
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
I would definatly recomend inside the stacks, but instead of dead center, try 1/3.    Most papers suggest 1/3 have a less room modes and more even response...  The only reason I would put the sub dead center is so localization of the sub is less noticeable.  Bass is omni derectional, but the resonances of the cabinet are not.  A good sub shouldn't have this problem, so 1/3 is the way to go IMO.....

That sure would be an easier placement for my setup. Dead center is the gear cabinet. I would have to go off to either the right or left of that. Don't ask why, it's a wifey thing.

Brian, I'm using VR-1's and a VRS-1 sub. I think you had a similar setup. Any tips would be much appreciated.

thanks, tony

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »

I have time to kill today

Practicing up on your deadpan humor, Tim?   ;) :-*
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »

I have time to kill today

Practicing up on your deadpan humor, Tim?   ;) :-*

;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »
Why not try two smaller subs next to each speaker? I always struggle with a sub personally I can always locate it unless it is DFC which is usually pretty hard to do.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jacobmyers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 04:31:41 AM »
Why not try two smaller subs next to each speaker? I always struggle with a sub personally I can always locate it unless it is DFC which is usually pretty hard to do.
I've always been a fan of the "dual sub" approach, for the sake of "accuracy". While you can say that subsonic frequencies are "omnidirectional", practical experience says that one can readily discern the point of origin of a 20Hz tone. Since your crossover frequency is undoubtedly higher than that, and you're interested in reproducing stereophonic sound, why make the low end monophonic? Sure; the wavelengths of subsonic frequencies are longer than the spread (distance between right and left loudspeakers) in a typical listening room (and often longer than the room itself) but, again, why make the low end monophonic? Cost/benefit!

The aural benefits of stereo subwoofers are certainly esoteric and the number of tracks that would highlight their presence is certainly small. Some people don't notice (or care) or think that stereo subs are worth the trouble. But there really are some practical benefits. Spreading the difficult (mechanically and electrically) to reproduce (bass) frequencies between two amplifiers and drivers means that you can do "the same job" with less power (and/or smaller diaphragms). And, if your listening area is a desk, stereo subwoofers mean that there's not a large central cabinet to take up precious leg room under said desk. But the additional amplifier and driver in a dual-sub system do cost money. IMO&E, the cost is worth it.

But if you have just one subwoofer, do place it DFC (to reiterate what other posts have said). It helps to have the sub's voice coil on the same vertical plane (relative to the listener's ears) as the satellite speaker's. Moving things just a few inches (especially in relation to a wall or other vertical surface) can make a fairly profound difference in your listening experience. Experiment! That's part of the fun of audio; tinkering and adjusting to discover what works best for you in your space and on your budget. Good luck!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com