Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RME quadmic pre???  (Read 1762 times)

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
RME quadmic pre???
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »
Anyone ever use this pre? How does it sound? Good, bad, nothing special? Thanks in advance.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: RME quadmic pre???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
Nothing special.

RME is known primarily for their A/D converters.  Their pres usually leave a lot to be desired though.  Not horrible, but not really all that stellar either.  Depends on what you're used to hearing out of a preamp though, I suppose.

The phrase "great converters, not so great preamps" can be applied to anything in their line IMO (the Micstasy may be a possible exception to the preamp rule though - I have not tried it but the other RME preamp gear isn't even in the same ballpark in terms of price anyway).

As always, YMMV.

BTW, I am a fan of RME gear in general.  I have owned several in the past and all have been superb for my needs.  They have all been PCI based A/D units though (no preamps).  The units I've used with preamps (FF800, Octamic D) I've not been happy with the preamp sound, so they went back immediately.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: RME quadmic pre???
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
I have one--I use it any time I'm recording "piano with ..." anything else, such as voice, since I always spot mike the piano for clarity if the lid isn't full up.

It's a lightweight, small box, so it's not ultra-sturdy but it holds up in a backpack OK. Very good input overload margins, good phantom powering (I can run four Schoeps mikes properly from it), no extraneous controls. The outputs are on 1/4" phone jacks, which I don't love, but all the back panel space is taken up by the four input sockets.

It's definitely what I'd recommend for lightweight portable recording these days, unless you want a combination unit with the converters and some sort of interface (FireWire, USB, etc.) built in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com