Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit file help  (Read 2390 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
24 bit file help
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »
 Since I snagged an edirol r-09 and have done a few shows at 24/48, I need help in preparing them. (I love the drag and drop feature!)

I have been working with adobe audition. They show up as 32 bit floating files. When I am ready to put them into 16/44.1, I highlight and select convert sample type under the edit menu. Is this the best way to do this?

Also, then when I convert the 24 bit to flac I seem to get some funky messages.

What am I missing?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 24 bit file help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »
That's how I used to do it when I used Audition.

Note if you're also keeping 24-bit files for playback, it may not make sense to dither (though it probably doesn't matter a lot, and most of us probably wouldn't hear the difference).  Audition only converts to 32bfp those portions of the file on which it has performed an editing operation of some kind.  So if I only applied fades in/out, for example, I just truncated from 32bfp to 24-bit.  99.9% of the file - everything except the portions I faded in/out - remained at 24-bit, since I didn't do any editing, so no need to dither needlessly.  (To confirm this, edit a small portion of the file.  Then select <1> the edited portion of the file, and <2> a non-edited portion of the file, and run Analyze | Statistics - you'll see <1> shows 32bfp, and <2> shows 24-bit.)  If I did any substantial editing, I would apply dither normally, as you noted.

And if you're interested in other dither options, here's a comp:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51476.0.html
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »
That's how I used to do it when I used Audition.

Note if you're also keeping 24-bit files for playback, it may not make sense to dither (though it probably doesn't matter a lot, and most of us probably wouldn't hear the difference).  Audition only converts to 32bfp those portions of the file on which it has performed an editing operation of some kind.  So if I only applied fades in/out, for example, I just truncated from 32bfp to 24-bit.  99.9% of the file - everything except the portions I faded in/out - remained at 24-bit, since I didn't do any editing, so no need to dither needlessly.  (To confirm this, edit a small portion of the file.  Then select <1> the edited portion of the file, and <2> a non-edited portion of the file, and run Analyze | Statistics - you'll see <1> shows 32bfp, and <2> shows 24-bit.)  If I did any substantial editing, I would apply dither normally, as you noted.

And if you're interested in other dither options, here's a comp:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51476.0.html

So - I am doing it right?

I usually bump the audio level on most of my recordings. When I first started taping I brickwalled a few before I learned to calm down and remembered I could always boost the levels later. So, if this has happened or if I select the entire .wav, it is properly dithering and downsampling?

I usually start with the 24 bit raw file and track via cd wave. Once done, I convert the raw 24 bit file and then do the same for each track so I can post the torrent.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »

Yup.

I usually bump the audio level on most of my recordings. When I first started taping I brickwalled a few before I learned to calm down and remembered I could always boost the levels later. So, if this has happened or if I select the entire .wav, it is properly dithering and downsampling?

You got it.  Either select the entire WAV - or, don't select a range at all - and Audition will apply the sample rate conversion / dither to the entire file.

I usually start with the 24 bit raw file and track via cd wave. Once done, I convert the raw 24 bit file and then do the same for each track so I can post the torrent.

I get tracking the 24-bit file in CD-Wave.  Then you convert the raw 24-bit file to...16/44, I assume?  What do you mean by "do the same for each track so I can post the torrent"?  Not sure I follow.
Roland R-05

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

Yup.

You got it.  Either select the entire WAV - or, don't select a range at all - and Audition will apply the sample rate conversion / dither to the entire file.

I get tracking the 24-bit file in CD-Wave.  Then you convert the raw 24-bit file to...16/44, I assume?  What do you mean by "do the same for each track so I can post the torrent"?  Not sure I follow.

Once I track the 24 bit file, I save and convert all the individual 24 bit files as well. Then, I open them all up, dither and downsample each of them to 16/44.1 and have them to torrent. I have never posted a 24 bit torrent as no one has asked for it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
Once I track the 24 bit file, I save and convert all the individual 24 bit files as well. Then, I open them all up, dither and downsample each of them to 16/44.1 and have them to torrent. I have never posted a 24 bit torrent as no one has asked for it.

Gotcha.  Couple options to make your workflow easier...

• In Audition you can set up a batch process to convert the the group of individual tracks to 16/44

...or...better yet, since some people have experienced glitches between files when resampling individual tracks and recombining...

• After tracking the 24-bit master WAV, save the cue sheet in CD-Wave.  Then, after performing all your edits in Audition, resampling / dithering / saving the entire WAV to 16/44, open the big 16/44 file in CD-Wave, load the cue sheet, and save individual tracks.

...or best yet, IMO...

• Just change the timing of the CD-Wave tracking process - instead of tracking the 24-bit master WAV file, simply track the big 16/44 file.  Only have to use CD-Wave once, that way.
Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »
WELCOME PWIG! Nice to see ya here!!!

yer pal and fellow Cramper fan,
morsty
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com