Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Turntable upgrade  (Read 1814 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Turntable upgrade
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
So I am on the cusp of seriously considering a turntable upgrade...I have the Rega P1 with a Bias2 cart, and am pretty happy with it, but would like to see what a better tonearm, etc could get me....I am leaning towards the P3-24 as it would easily allow me to continue to use the Bias2 (and I could put the Ortofon cart back on the P1 and resell it) and the P3, also would allow me to in the future upgrade to an offboard motor, which I hear pays huge dividends.

Bottom line though, looking for input from users of different types of turntables or the P3 if you have direct experience (paging Moke)...

Thanks in advance...

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Re: Turntable upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
I would definitely stick with the Rega if you like the simplicity of setup and great musicality that these tables offer.  My audiophile journey started with a Planar 3 and there is definitely some serious "magic" in that particular table.  The P3-24 is apparently improved in many ways.  The power supply is supposedly a really worthwhile upgrade as well.  I am the proud owner of a new old stock p9(original version) and am loving it to bits.  Very simple in terms of design but it sounds bad ass...  I wanted to chime in as I was speaking with a long term Rega dealer over the weekend and he strongly suggested that the subplatter and acrylic platter upgrades were not upgrades at all.  He said that he had several customers inquiring about their tables loosing some of their spark after doing these upgrades.  The power supply was definitely recommended and his stance was that spending on the cartridge/phono stage and a better mat would be the best way to improve on the P3.  The Boston Audio graphite mat was the one that he had recommended as working the best for the Rega tables.  Anyways, there are so many opinions in the world of audio it's not even funny but I figured it was worthwhile passing all of this along.  Have fun with your analog adventures!!!

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
Re: Turntable upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
Ive had a P2 for 15 years and love it....the Rega's are simple, no frills and sound great

I upgraded the tonearm with a better counterweight and stub end

I also got an expressimo lifter, so I am not doing the "OJ Hertz commercial" dash when the LP is in the dead wax

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com