Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon My Power MP3450  (Read 29830 times)

Offline jsfrank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tekkeon My Power MP3450
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
They were all a few weeks outside the year warranty. Hopefully the replacements are at my office. The didn't arrive in time before I hit the road for Furthur.

Were yours still under warranty? I think I'm having a similar problem. I can use one until it gets to half-full, then it shuts down. When I connect the charger, it shows half-full, and it only takes about 30 - 45 min to charge. This battery is about 2 yr old or so.

The other one I have will only turn on if I connect it to the charger. This is about 2 yr old too.

It's a shame if I can't get them fixed. I was the biggest supporter of these batteries. I have 2 that seem to be working fine, but these other two have failed for some reason, and from talking to Chris it seems that they are out of warranty.

Exchanged e-mails with Chris today. The replacements are on the way.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
Be very, Very, VERY careful running the Tekkeon with the 680 and do not use the automatic detection settings. Now on our 3rd DR-680, Acidjack and myself and all but confident this will fry/corrupt the unit; it must be sending too much voltage through while making the detection.

I'm hopeful it's safe to use a tekkeon on the manual 12v setting, but we're not about to fry our third unit to test and it's always worked flawlessly on 9v DVD batts.

hi and low: i recently got a DR-680 and was powering it with a Tekkeon manually set to 12v.  after three shows the DR-680 died on me twice.  i had to shut it down, let it rest for a while, and when i fired it back up all was fine for the remainder of the shows.  i thought for sure the problem was DR-680 because the Tekkeon worked flawlessly with other devices.  after exchanging my DR-680 for a new unit and having the exact same problem during its first outing i started to think that the Tekkeon was the issue.  after seeing your post i'm more certain that the Tekkeon is the issue.  i'm on the hunt for a 12v DVD battery and hopefully will cure the problem.  batterygeek seems to have some good options.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:56:32 AM by cashandkerouac »

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
They were all a few weeks outside the year warranty. Hopefully the replacements are at my office. The didn't arrive in time before I hit the road for Furthur.

Were yours still under warranty? I think I'm having a similar problem. I can use one until it gets to half-full, then it shuts down. When I connect the charger, it shows half-full, and it only takes about 30 - 45 min to charge. This battery is about 2 yr old or so.

The other one I have will only turn on if I connect it to the charger. This is about 2 yr old too.

It's a shame if I can't get them fixed. I was the biggest supporter of these batteries. I have 2 that seem to be working fine, but these other two have failed for some reason, and from talking to Chris it seems that they are out of warranty.

Exchanged e-mails with Chris today. The replacements are on the way.

I'm in the same boat - loved this battery, but had it fail on me twice powering a V2 during a concert.  Purchased new 6/26/2010, had no problems for a year (used it 6/24/2011 - 6/26/2011 at a festival running ~5 hours each day with no problems).  On 9/1/2011 it failed 3 hours into a set, recharged in about 30 minutes, so I thought perhaps I hadn't fully charged it, the next day it failed 2.5 hours into a set.  This is the second battery from them that I've had in 2 years.  I emailed Chris, stating the purchase date and that this is my second battery with such issues.  If this isn't covered under "goodwill" warranty, I most certainly will not be purchasing a new one. 

I used to think it was well worth the $110 price tag, but after 2 failing just over the 12 month warranty, I would not recommend buying this if you expect it to be your primary power source.  Currently on the hunt for an alternative source for powering a 6v V2... 

Ryan
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
I've noticed lately that my V2 will shut off when ran at the 6v setting on the battery.  I switch to 7.5V and things seem to work at that setting.

Nevertheless, it's a bummer that my ~3-5 year old 9V DVD seems to be more reliable. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
To the folks who keep telling me to get a Tekkeon for my Lemosax, please read this thread ;D :P 8) I will settle for my AA battery powering!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
To the folks who keep telling me to get a Tekkeon for my Lemosax, please read this thread ;D :P 8) I will settle for my AA battery powering!

If you got the industrial version you wouldn't have the voltage quirks. It's SIAFI style.  8)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 12:56:34 AM »
I've noticed lately that my V2 will shut off when ran at the 6v setting on the battery.  I switch to 7.5V and things seem to work at that setting.

Nevertheless, it's a bummer that my ~3-5 year old 9V DVD seems to be more reliable.

Interesting...  How much time are you getting at 7.5v?  Does the v2 run hot at all at 7.5?

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »

If you got the industrial version you wouldn't have the voltage quirks. It's SIAFI style.  8)

If Tekkeon let's me 'buy up' to the 3450i I may be able to be swayed, but right now the standard one has none of my confidence.  How long have you had the 3450i?  What kind of run times do you get?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:54 AM »

If Tekkeon let's me 'buy up' to the 3450i I may be able to be swayed, but right now the standard one has none of my confidence.  How long have you had the 3450i?  What kind of run times do you get?

I'm working on 18-24 months now I'd have to check the receipt, maybe 40 shows a year plus use as a laptop/phone battery. It sees a solid average of 1 discharge a week, many times more.

I can't remember what I got with the 722 as a line-in device, but I know it's longer than the standard versions but I can't remember by how much. A combined 3450-extra and 3450i can get me close to 11 hours with the 722's mic preamps/P48 before it finally dies, that I remember distinctly and that would be for approximately 110 Wh. The thing is a small tank, I've used it in blazing sun at festivals before and not had any issues. The big difference is the industrial edition has better specs for density and operating tolerances, plus a manual voltage switch instead of the sensing mechanism.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 04:06:46 AM »
The big difference is the industrial edition has better specs for density and operating tolerances, plus a manual voltage switch instead of the sensing mechanism.

This part really confuses me, and is on their website as such too.  The 3450 that I have has a switch to select the voltage and blue LEDs to indicate what you've picked, but they list this as a plus for the 3450i.  Is that setting for me just show?  ???

Thanks!

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
The big difference is the industrial edition has better specs for density and operating tolerances, plus a manual voltage switch instead of the sensing mechanism.

This part really confuses me, and is on their website as such too.  The 3450 that I have has a switch to select the voltage and blue LEDs to indicate what you've picked, but they list this as a plus for the 3450i.  Is that setting for me just show?  ???

Thanks!

I sure hope the 3450 allows manual voltage selection.  I just ordered one on eBay yesterday.  My 3300 has manual selection, so I can't think of a reason that they'd bypass that feature on the 3450.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »

Thanks!

the i model has dip switches controlling the voltage selection, 4 of them actually, and the various combinations of up/down select the voltage. The blue LEDs are purely for remaining power. Likewise, the power switch is a real power switch, not just a "lock" like it is on the non-i.

the standard 3450 model has a manual selection method but its method differs by battery revision and when I played with a couple, I don't recall it saving the voltage selection after you disconnect stuff for the night and turn it off.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
How much time are you getting at 7.5v?  Does the v2 run hot at all at 7.5?

The V2 will run for hours and hours.  I've never calculated exactly how long, though.  I haven't noticed any excess heat coming off the unit at that setting.  Certainly no more than it ever let off with the 9V DVD. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
the i model has dip switches controlling the voltage selection, 4 of them actually, and the various combinations of up/down select the voltage. The blue LEDs are purely for remaining power. Likewise, the power switch is a real power switch, not just a "lock" like it is on the non-i.

the standard 3450 model has a manual selection method but its method differs by battery revision and when I played with a couple, I don't recall it saving the voltage selection after you disconnect stuff for the night and turn it off.

That description of the standard 3450 sounds just like the 3300 -- and how I hoped it worked.  The fact that it doesn't save the voltage selection is by design -- so that you can't accidentally plug in something demanding less volts and have it get zapped by the higher voltage that you locked in previously.  I think it's a good thing that each time you connect something you have to incrementally increase the voltage, starting at the bottom, and then "lock" it just for that operating session.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »

That description of the standard 3450 sounds just like the 3300 -- and how I hoped it worked.  The fact that it doesn't save the voltage selection is by design -- so that you can't accidentally plug in something demanding less volts and have it get zapped by the higher voltage that you locked in previously.  I think it's a good thing that each time you connect something you have to incrementally increase the voltage, starting at the bottom, and then "lock" it just for that operating session.

yeah, I can see the appeal, it just wigs me out since I did some run'n'gun style stuff that weekend so messing with the batteries wasn't on my list. I personally like the dip switches, but it's nice they have two different design options.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com