Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon My Power MP3450  (Read 29819 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
Re: Tekkeon My Power MP3450
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »
yeah, I can see the appeal, it just wigs me out since I did some run'n'gun style stuff that weekend so messing with the batteries wasn't on my list. I personally like the dip switches, but it's nice they have two different design options.

Ah, yes.  It does reset to 5v every time I plug something else in.

Chris responded last night to my 'over warranty by a bit' email and issued an RMA saying a few weeks over would be honored.  Good customer service, still unreliable.  I'm going to ask about paying up to the 3450i, I doubt they will do that, as that's kind of odd, but I can't get another 3450 and trust it more than 12 months. 
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
I used 6v SLAs and 7.2v/NIMH Battery Packs to power my old v2/v3
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
I have used lion and lipoly packs for over 9 years and never had a problem with them.  As long as you use them within the specified/manufacturer power reqmts you should be fine.   Stay away from auto sensing varity though.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
I just got my new 3450 R2 this weekend and I can't figure it out.  It's directions say to turn the unit on, connect the DC out cable, and then press the voltage selector button until the desired voltage is illuminated.  Mine is not working like that.  Whether the unit is on or off, pressing the voltage button is just showing me how much power is left.  The lights aren't changing at all.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
Have you tried plugging in the DC output cable yet?  It's functionality changes when a cable is plugged in and whether or not the LOCK function is engaged. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »
I just got my new 3450 R2 this weekend and I can't figure it out.  It's directions say to turn the unit on, connect the DC out cable, and then press the voltage selector button until the desired voltage is illuminated.  Mine is not working like that.  Whether the unit is on or off, pressing the voltage button is just showing me how much power is left.  The lights aren't changing at all.

I'm pretty sure that you have to also have it plugged into the device that you will be powering to set the voltage...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »

I'm pretty sure that you have to also have it plugged into the device that you will be powering to set the voltage...

I found it depended on revision for being connected to what you're powering, but both needed the cable plugged into the battery to change it.

//loves his dipswitches.  :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »

I found it depended on revision for being connected to what you're powering, but both needed the cable plugged into the battery to change it.

I'll have to try that when I get home tonight.  The DC output cable was connected, as the instructions said to do, but I didn't connect the other end to anything because I didn't want to risk damaging something until I'd confirmed that I could manually set the voltage.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
The Tekkeon 3xxx series does not "turn on" until you short the smallest pin to the closest large pin on the input connector.  By default this only happens when you insert both the output cable and connect the tip (one of the pins on the tip shorts the connection) to the output cable.

You can then adjust the voltage as long as the voltage is not "locked"

I am not suggesting to short the pins with a jumper wire but just describing how the battery works.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19:22 PM »

I'll have to try that when I get home tonight.  The DC output cable was connected, as the instructions said to do, but I didn't connect the other end to anything because I didn't want to risk damaging something until I'd confirmed that I could manually set the voltage.

Have you tried connecting both ends then setting the tekkeon's voltage and finally turning on the recorder?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Have you tried connecting both ends then setting the tekkeon's voltage and finally turning on the recorder?

Yep, that's the trick.  Everything is fine now.

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
Before I order this, will it work well with a UA5 pre-amp?   I'm not too trusting of these 9V dvd batteries I've been using and especially with taping a festival, I need many hours and not have to keeping swapping out dvd batteries

AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
Bumping thread to add:

I just sent mine back to Tekkeon today for either service or replacement today.  It started rapidly dropping from full charge to no charge it was able to provide power for a whole show, but not without worry.  It's only a little over a year old and was issued after their charger recall, but it looks like there may be a circuitry problem that affects performance.

Been happy with it until this problem started to surface in June/July.  Noticed other tapers have had similar issues outside of warranty and Tekkeon has been good about replacing them so we'll see how this turns out.  Probably too soon to tell if anyone has had problems with a replacement battery yet.  If a replacement battery develops the same problem after only one year I don't think I'd get another one.

fwiw: My model is a myPower ALL plus external laptop battery [MP3450 R2], not the industrial version.   It was ordered from Amazon not a 3rd party Amazon seller.  Its voltage is only selected manually via the top button, it does not have automatic voltage selection or dip switches.  It does automatically default to 5V to help prevent over voltage and locks to the voltage you select once you've connected it to the device you are powering.  Apparently there are different versions or some models have automatic voltage selection which some people have and has given them voltage problems. 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:05:34 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
Be very, Very, VERY careful running the Tekkeon with the 680 and do not use the automatic detection settings. Now on our 3rd DR-680, Acidjack and myself and all but confident this will fry/corrupt the unit; it must be sending too much voltage through while making the detection.

I'm hopeful it's safe to use a tekkeon on the manual 12v setting, but we're not about to fry our third unit to test and it's always worked flawlessly on 9v DVD batts.

hi and low: i recently got a DR-680 and was powering it with a Tekkeon manually set to 12v.  after three shows the DR-680 died on me twice.  i had to shut it down, let it rest for a while, and when i fired it back up all was fine for the remainder of the shows.  i thought for sure the problem was DR-680 because the Tekkeon worked flawlessly with other devices.  after exchanging my DR-680 for a new unit and having the exact same problem during its first outing i started to think that the Tekkeon was the issue.  after seeing your post i'm more certain that the Tekkeon is the issue.  i'm on the hunt for a 12v DVD battery and hopefully will cure the problem.  batterygeek seems to have some good options.

afer trouble-shooting the 680 every which way from Sunday it turns out that the Tekkeon was not the (entire) problem.  there is only a small handful of people that seem to be having success using the 680 with an external battery...and i ain't one of 'em!  the 680 as a field recorder run with external battery power is simply a POS.  for anyone considering the 680, take heed of the multiple warinings.  i sure do wish i would have listened.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
Update to add:  Tekkeon came through and replaced my MP3450 R2 out of warranty.  The replacement arrived today, hope it lasts longer than the original.  All they said was they found a problem with my battery and apologized for the difficulties but didn't elaborate further.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com