Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about EMU?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
Anyone know anything about EMU?
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:48:49 PM »
Saw this on eBay while I was looking at external sound cards/audio interfaces, like the Tascam US-144, Edirol UA-25 or FA-66, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EMU-E-MU-0404-usb-2-0-PC-Soundcard-FREE-SHIPPING-NEW_W0QQitemZ230285200274QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230285200274&_trkparms=72%3A134|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Wondering if anyone has used this or any EMU product.  This brand and product is new to me, but seems to comes with lots of useful software. 

Otherwise, what's the best value in external laptop audio interfaces?  I'm not as interested in the pre-amp side of things, since I can borrow a V3 fairly easily, but the "soundcard" aspect and A/D for hobby-ist home studio use is more important.  Of course, if there's a good USB or FireWire interface with pre-ams that folks thought were top notch, I'd love to hear about that as well.
Thanks for the space.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline JackHenry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Anyone know anything about EMU?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
Well... Here in Australia the EMU is quite a popular bird. The meat is supposedly very low in cholesterol.
And the eggs make BIG omelets
Hope this help.

Offline beeco

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »
Well... Here in Australia the EMU is quite a popular bird. The meat is supposedly very low in cholesterol.
Hope this help.

Sold.  Ordering one now.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:47 AM »
Make sure you buy a female. The eggs from the male birds a smaller, brown and taste funny.

Offline beeco

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
Dang, the stuff you can learn.  As always, such highly educational discourse here on Taperssectiom.com  ;D

So, does anyone have any experience or recommendations about usb or firewire audio interfaces?  Or was I missing some prior thread in my search?

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:21:47 AM »
The 0404 has great specs for the dough, and a really nice software bundle.
You could do much worse.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
Hope this help.

Sold.  Ordering one now.

I have a emu 1212m I will sell you cheap... Its brand new in the box. Shipping would be $20 from Canada ( air mail ) They are selling for $138 on ebay I will sell it to you for $75.00 and like I said it was never used.. My measurement software did not like the ASIO driver app. But all music software works with this card very well. Its a great card just sitting here collecting dust.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:52:34 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »

I have a emu 1212m I will sell you cheap... Its brand new in the box. Shipping would be $20 from Canada ( air mail ) They are selling for $138 on ebay I will sell it to you for $75.00 and like I said it was never used.. My measurement software did not like the ASIO driver app. But all music software works with this card very well. Its a great card just sitting here collecting dust.

Great deal, very nice A/Ds

Someone take Chris up on his generosity!
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »
E-Mu is Creative's "professional" line these days.

Pretty good stuff, from what I've heard.  I used to have a 1212M and once you figure out how the crazy control panel works it's solid as a rock.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline beeco

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Hope this help.

Sold.  Ordering one now.

Nice offer Chris.  Thanks.  But I'm really looking for something external that would work with a laptop.  But this is a slippery slope - I started looking at m-audio boxes, then presonus, and now I'm drooling over far more expensive stuff.  Gonna have to figure out how and where to draw the line...

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »
I have an E-mu 1616m PCMCIA. The product itself is great. The problem with E-mu is that their support is a mess since they've been taken over by Creative. Phone support here in Europe has gone down the drain altogether, and last time I sent them a question by e-mail I was left wondering what on earth this guy had been smoking.

Now the PCMCIA version has been discontinued and, according to an E-mu employee posting on the E-mu forum...

http://www.productionforums.com/viewforum.php?f=36

...they have barely enough PCMCIA cards left for repairing or replacing those units which are still under warranty. What this means for people whose card fails after the warranty period is anyone's guess. So, expect to be left out in the rain with a heap of very epensive electronics scrap after a little more than a year. :-/

In a nutshell: the products are great but E-mu's after-sales service is a bad joke. Pity, really.

Ralf
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:12:40 AM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »
Creative has pretty much destroyed what was once an excellent company with cutting edge sound products.

Offline jaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »
  I owned one for about a year and no matter what I did I could not get it to allow the external spdif source to be the master. ALWAYS had digi pops do to sync issue's! But for basic play back its alright. Not a fan Go lynx buy once buy wise.
the rig...... playback PC-> Lynx l22 -> ART SLA-1 -> Cerwin Vegas (Vintage)
Mics, AKG c1000s , ART m-1's, CA-14 Omni
PREAMP, Shure FP-24, ST-9100
Mixer, for multi mic live shows...Edirol m10-dx
on the go tunes flacs... Cowan 60gig Iaudio x5

Offline jaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
   Sorry man after further reading I noticed you want a USB hub well go with the Edirol UA-101 best specs for the price, I searched the web for EVERY USB/PCI/Firewire audio interface I could find call the manufactures and everything and the Edirol UA-101 in my opinion was the best I could find.   
the rig...... playback PC-> Lynx l22 -> ART SLA-1 -> Cerwin Vegas (Vintage)
Mics, AKG c1000s , ART m-1's, CA-14 Omni
PREAMP, Shure FP-24, ST-9100
Mixer, for multi mic live shows...Edirol m10-dx
on the go tunes flacs... Cowan 60gig Iaudio x5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com