Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Placing Components inside a cabinet / stand etc  (Read 2429 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Placing Components inside a cabinet / stand etc
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
I should probably know the answer to this but here I am any way

Is there a rule about placing components side by side ?

I was always under the assumption that this was not a good idea for some reason.

The reason I am asking is that I want to ditch my old tv stand / av unit and get something nicer / better suited for my needs.
It is old and primarily made of cardboard composite board. I inherited it when i moved in to my apt. it suits a need but takes up too much space and is kind of ugly. Plus if i get rid of it I can center my speakers a little bit better and balance the room a bit nicer.

I see a lot of pictures with the components next to each other and started to wonder if perhaps my "stacking" assumption has always been wrong

I have a 36" LCD TV, Monster power conditioner, PS3, PC (in a audio component form factor), Mambo integrated amp and the Directv box

I was thinking that if side by side is ok I could just get a nice TV stand with shelves etc

I don't think I need or am ready for a dedicated audio rack but I am open to suggestions.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Placing Components inside a cabinet / stand etc
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »
dont see any reason why not...I think the key is that they have some radius around them to send heat off as necessary...here is what mine looks like (and what I think you are getting at)

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
That is exactly what I had in mind

Go Canes!!! ( I want them to beat NJ :) )
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »
I remember hearing about and experiencing unshielded speakers next to a tube TV.  Not sure if the magnets will effect a HDTV???

I also figured having large magnets like that (TV or speakers) probably wasn't very good for tape decks and DATs...  But since those formats have now been shelved for DVDRs, it's an issue anymore...

I wish I could see Nick's photo (blocked at work)...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
I see lots of photos of people with very high end gear placed side by side. I wouldn't sweat it.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
Side by side is probably better for those components that generate lots of heat (amps and receivers mostly), and it does not make any difference for other components.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com