Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to Upgrade....  (Read 2882 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
Looking to Upgrade....
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
so, I love my AT4041's and have pulled lots of sweet recordinggs with them, but Id like to make an upgrade. Im thinking that maybe I have around $800 give or take to spend on a pair. Im also looking for somnething a little smaller.

Also, obviously active setups seem to be the most lightweight. I am extremely confused about exactly how these setups work. From what I understand, some active setups require bodies and some dont??? is this true? Is there any body-less active setups that are within, or near my range?

thanks a bunch.  :)
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Looking to Upgrade....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »
From what I understand, some active setups require bodies and some dont??? is this true?

yes

Is there any body-less active setups that are within, or near my range?

no. 

The cheapest true "bodyless" setup I'm aware of is the DPA 402x series.  Double your range and add a couple hundred.

The cheapest active setup I'm aware of is AKG's obsolete mk46 cable setup, which requires special capsules and 460 bodies.  Next up after that is probably Milab.  Both are typically in the $1200-1500 range.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
ya, I figured I was out of range for a setup like that. +T TNJazz. What do ya'll know know about Octavas? I saw a sweet pair of the small(er) octavas at work the other. Switchable caps. What model are these?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:46 PM »
MC-012 (Mk-012)

Decent sounding low-end Russian stuff, but not really a sonic upgrade from 4041's.  If you need omnis and hypers they might be worth a look, but honestly the AT's are a better mic (and much better than many people realize).

The Oktavas have been counterfeited heavily in the past (and Guitar Center is responsible for dumping thousands of them into the marketplace), so there are a ton of Chinese fakes out there.  Oddly enough, a large number of industry pros seem to think the fake Oktavas actually sound better than the real ones...

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
hmm. very good to know. Thats nuts about the counterfiet mics and guitar center. I never heard that. thats nutty.

I def. feel like the AT's are underated. I pull some great stuff with them. I really love them. Im just looking to get some multi-directional options. Which direction do you think Busmans would be a step in?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
Don't know, never tried them.

I would imagine it would be a fairly lateral move, based on the other similar mics I've used and heard.  Chris has some good stuff, but the only benefit to going from 4041's to his stuff is interchangeable caps.  I did hear he's working on an active system though (I think?)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
Beyerdynamic CK930's.

They aren't out in the US yet, but should be shortly (or hopefully).

They are based on the MC930's. I hope they sound equally good.

Not sure on details, but I understand they will cost around $800-$1000 for the pair.

http://www.expandore.com/product/Pro_Audio/Beyerdynamic/Studio_Mic/Mic08.htm

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
The Oktavas have been counterfeited heavily in the past (and Guitar Center is responsible for dumping thousands of them into the marketplace), so there are a ton of Chinese fakes out there.  Oddly enough, a large number of industry pros seem to think the fake Oktavas actually sound better than the real ones...

There is a page up on the Russian site that helps identify the fakes...
http://oktava.tula.net/fake/

Also, there is Scott Dorsey upgrade published in Recording Magazine that improved upon the internal  parts used in the older Oktavas.
I have a set of the upgraded ones, and they sound pretty good. The oktavausa dealer told me though that mics manufactured since about 1990 (I don't remember the year) are better than the original Oktava's.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
MikeB and Live2496 +t's to you.

those Beyers look sweet. Howeve, it looks like both of them use the 4 pin "microdot" cable. how would I be able to use this w/ an XLR pre? Is there a commonly had adapter?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
those Beyers look sweet. Howeve, it looks like both of them use the 4 pin "microdot" cable. how would I be able to use this w/ an XLR pre? Is there a commonly had adapter?

The beyers are 4 pin mini XLR on the capsule side and they connect via 5 pin to a standard mic body with a 3 pin XLR out.  So it's not bodyless, but it could be a remote capsule option.

These mics have been promised since early 2006 though, so I wouldn't hold my breath on an expected release date anytime soon.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:35:03 AM »
You have to draw a distinction between what is active and passive somewhere.  The Schoeps Colette cables are true active cables, with active circuitry in them eliminating the need for bodies.  Unfortunately, the only preamp that I am aware of that can supply power to them is the VMS5U.  It is a fine-sounding preamp, but very expensive, making the entire setup outside of your price range.  If you want to use them with another preamp, I believe that you need the CMC bodies.

The Neumann KM140 has active capsules and the MBHO 603a have active preamplifiers allowing each of them to have a remote placement of the body and capsule.  You still need both the body and the capsules with these, so the cables essentially function as extension cords.  The dpa 4022 and 4023 microphones have miniature bodies (they are not bodyless), making the entire assembly like 1 inch long, while the Schoeps CCM series are bodyless microphones and are about the same size, if not slightly larger.

If you are truly wedded to a setup that allows for bodyless microphones or remote placement of the capsules in your price range, the AKG Blueline series is the only thing to my knowledge that would work.  It uses extension cables for remote placement of the capsule.  For the same amount of money (or a little bit more), however, you can probably pick up a used set of the 480 series that sound better, IMHO, but do not allow for remote capsule placement.  Or you can go for a used set of the dpa 4061 microphones that sound better than the AKG Bluelines, IMHO, and are very small.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com