Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 - distorts easily  (Read 4229 times)

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sennheiser MKE2 - distorts easily
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
A friend of mine has a pair of Sennheiser MKE2s (from Microphone Madness originally) that distorts at fairly low sound levels (no way near the 130db that MM claims). Would they handle loud sounds better if I did the 4.7k mod on them (it did wonders to my MKE40s that distorted just as easily)? I haven't been able to determine if they are the 3 wire or 2 wire version yet, though. There's too much glue to see the actual wires that are soldered to ground on the connector.  Since I probably have to cut the connector to check the configuration I would prefer to know if there is anything that can be done before i take out the scissors.  ::)

Grateful for any help!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 - distorts easily
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »
A friend of mine has a pair of Sennheiser MKE2s (from Microphone Madness originally) that distorts at fairly low sound levels (no way near the 130db that MM claims). Would they handle loud sounds better if I did the 4.7k mod on them (it did wonders to my MKE40s that distorted just as easily)? I haven't been able to determine if they are the 3 wire or 2 wire version yet, though. There's too much glue to see the actual wires that are soldered to ground on the connector.  Since I probably have to cut the connector to check the configuration I would prefer to know if there is anything that can be done before i take out the scissors.  ::)

Grateful for any help!

No way to know without measuring them.  There *should* be three wires at the connector (red, blue, shield, probably).  But check the resistance between blue and shield.  They may be shorted *at the capsule*.  It depends on the model #.  If they are, you're sol.  Otherwise, go ahead and do the three wire mod just like you did for the MKE40's.  These are a pretty good mic if you can mod them.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

Grateful for any help!

Really? That's really strange. I've been taping loud shows with no distortion at all.
Of course I'm not talking about gothic metal stuff  ;D.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:30:10 AM »
What version are they?

It's on the little plastic block on the cable.

If it's an MKE 2-5, these are more sensitive than the others.

The "gold" versions are about 16dB less sensitive and are the versions most often used on the head on stage.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »
What are you using for a "plug in power" source? how much voltage does it put out? and what do those mics need?

I don't know anything about MKE2's, but I know (for instance) that with AT853s you will brickwall a lot quicker with 3v Plug in power from a recorder than you will with a 9 or 12V battery box.  That same situation may be true here.  Ted Gakidis had some small Senns (don't know which ones) which distorted with a particular preamp, but didn't appear to with a battery box, so I'm thinking it may be relevant.

Just a thought...
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »
I can do a mod to these mics to reduce the distortion. But I have to rebuild the mic body with epoxy. They will work much better once I am done with them send me a pm for details.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:29:51 AM »
What are you using for a "plug in power" source? how much voltage does it put out? and what do those mics need?

The mic. normally works from about 5V - but the capsule spec. says 0.9 - 15V.

The "gold" version of the MKE2 has a quoted maximum sound pressure level of 142dB (passive).

I would guess that you are either not using the "gold" version or you are powering them with a very low voltage - or - it's not the mic. that's distorting, but the input to the mic. pre.

Where is the level control on the mic. pre.?  some have the control too late and the input stage can overload before the signal gets to the level control.

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
Thank you for all your input.  They have been powered by several battery boxes (church audio ST9100, the Microphone Madness Elite and some old Sound Pro). All should put out somewhere around 9V.

I have finally cut the connector and there are 3 wires coming from the microphone. The shield and white were soldered to ground on the connector and there is no short between shield and white (infinite resistance) so they were wired exactly like my sensitive MKE40s. I'll stick a 4.7k between shield and the white then.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »
damn, what type of music were you recording?   I never had issues with the mk40 or mke2 from Mic Madness.  I pulled some stack tapes and everything.  Even did a metal battle of the bands that was so loud it hurt....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
I have the exact same mics and I also had distortion when recording any kind of rock type music (even using 9v batteryboxes and low input levels). I had mine 4.7k modded and now they work like a charm! so i strongly suggest the mod! :)

Good luck!

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
damn, what type of music were you recording?   I never had issues with the mk40 or mke2 from Mic Madness.  I pulled some stack tapes and everything.  Even did a metal battle of the bands that was so loud it hurt....

Same thing here. I own both the MK40 and MKE2 from MM.
Not a single problem   ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com